• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Range Time

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    DFW
    Does anyone here "CrossFit"!?

Ive been doing it for quite some time now. I've been a member of 4 different "boxes" across Texas and actively follow SOFWODs programming and some of Mark Divine's programming.

If you do, where at and how are you liking it?
    Gun Zone Deals

Range Time

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    DFW
    Rsty,

I was in your same shoes.
    I thought it looked awesome, but I knew I couldn't keep up with what I had seen. At the time, I was 360+ pounds (Feb 2011). I'm down to 225lbs now! Crossfit is infinitely scalable, in weight/time/distance/and exercises. I couldn't do a lot of basic stuff like Pullups or tons of push ups, and I couldn't run 5k's without walking some of it, but they were able to scale all of the workouts for my capacity.

Give it a shot. Most of the locations will let you try it for free.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Holy hell. With results like that I'll check it out for sure now. I need to get settled in on my own first. I'm staying with my gf's parents at the moment, and they like to stuff me with food, so it's hard for me to maintain a healthy diet.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Holy hell. With results like that I'll check it out for sure now. I need to get settled in on my own first. I'm staying with my gf's parents at the moment, and they like to stuff me with food, so it's hard for me to maintain a healthy diet.

It's very pricy. Otherwise, I would have joined when it first hit my area of town.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just watched the Cross Fit competition on ESPN2. Man, that is intense!

Range Time

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    DFW
    Or you can pay 250 to do it with other people...

There are plenty of crossfit gyms that offer unlimited memberships for well under 250. When I lived in San Marcos, it was $80, Austin was $120, Dallas was $190 and Fort Worth is $115.

Cost of training at 24hour fitness: $180 for three 1-hour sessions. If you buy 30training sessions, it's $1900.
    Crossfit unlimited for one month is well worth it. Your workouts are planned, trainers/coaches watch and advise you on entire workout, and you get the factor of competition.. That alone got me to lose over 100# with crossfit.

Their Paleo nutrition guidelines were a huge factor as well.

Now that I've lost the weight, I have a garage gym, but my buddies workout with me so we still have the competitive aspects.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I've been looking into it.
    I've just been trying to find the time to go check out the two boxes I've narrowed it down to.
    Crossfit NTX(Denton)
    Crossfit 380(W. McKinney)

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I've dabbled in it a very small bit awhile back when one of my Sgt's was real into it and we did it every now and then for pt with a smaller group, its definitely an ass kicking workout no doubt about that. Also got into the P90X workout when we were in Afghanistan, if you ever look into that and they say "if you need to take a break go ahead" I 100% recommend that being your que to rest right then if you're just starting out, if you push through like I did you will barely be able to walk for the next couple of days. I've definitely put on some weight since I got out and really need to get back into a good workout routine, not liking the gut I've put on.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I have a few cult followers in my family too, not gonna lie they look great and are in great shape. My brother picked up about 40 pounds on the program. And he doesn't put on weight for anything... 6'2" and 190 looks a lot better than 150...

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    You can do crossfit in your garage. Just about free.

I would advise paying for experienced, certified instructors, unless you really know what you're doing. It's easy to get a lot of stuff wrong, especially with the kettlebell stuff and olympic lifts, even deadlifts and squats are more technical than many people realize. Having someone watching your form and giving you reminders to keep your chest up, knees back, whatever the case may be, is invaluable when my form deteriorates; that usually happens mid to last third of a workout, when you just want it to be over.

Klacktor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm a personal trainer and crossfit is how I work out. A word of caution however:
    many crossfit workouts involve Olympic lifting movements being taught by inexperienced lifters. This is where injury most commonly occurs. Be watchful, but if you consider yourself in somewhat decent shape and not prone to injury I say go for it. I typically argue against crossfit being infinitely sscalable or for everyone, for several reasons. But ill
    Save that argument ffor another time because based on what you've described if you're not battling any major ailments or injuries I say go
    for it!
    '

Julie2385

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Austin Texas
    I've been doing Crossfit for about 6 months now. I have always been active/gym go-er forever, but Crossfit has definitely brought it up to a new level. I live in Austin and work in Round Rock and go to Defiant Crossfit. I love it! Never going back to to the regular gym unless I have to. To the people who say you can do it in your garage . . . yes you can, but I love the group workout. Other people expect me to be there and I get several phone calls when I don't show up. Helps keep me accountable :)

Top Bottom