• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Hello all,

just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Before primers were very expensive I had bought

* CCI small Rifle Primters #400 boxes . Then when the pandemic hit since there was a shortage of 400 version a lot of reloaders went to CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer #450.

Now that I need to purchase more are those still good for .223 #400 and #450?

I also need some primers for 308 and 6.5 since I just purchase those calibers a few months back.

Thank you,
    ARJ Defense ad

Niv

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2023
    Spring, TX
    I understand a lot of folks use small rifle primer brass in 308 and 6.5 creed. Allegedly more accurate, especially if shooting lighter loads in the 308. I personally use federal 210m primers, but considering some SRP brass to see how the 450s work with 308

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Right now - and I do mean "right now" because ammo and components could get weird again very quickly - you should be able to find any primers that you need. I would highly recommend using the recommended primer for your cartridge as long as they are available. I would also highly recommend that you buy enough primers to tide yourself over for a while. I've never met anyone who regretted stocking up on components or ammo.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    OP buy 5K if you can afford it. Agree with TJ that its about to get weird again.

Keep them in a sealed container with silica packs and they will stay good fir a long time.

They won’t get cheaper.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Like others have stated you can work with what you have by buying sr brass. Starline is an awesome source and worth waiting for it. In all my semi autos I've never noticed much difference between #400 and #450 primers. Some manuals still recommend magnum primers for ball powders. As far as getting more, academy gets them in and sells at 6.99/100 for CCI 400s. Bought 3k just last week.

I like to imagine that primers will hit a nickel again someday but that may be wishful thinking. I still stack em away when the price is at or under 7 cents each. CCI primers have fairly hard cups but will run in any rifle and even did fine in a 9mm load I worked up years ago with titegroup. Almost no deviation in fps and no pressure signs.

I consider CCI the standard for most recipes but federal are nice and soft for a light triggered pistol. I also stick with 210s or 210m for my precision 308 loads. I'll probably also run them when I start work on the 6.5 I have.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Academy seems to be the best price ($6.99) when in stock. No hazmat for local pickup. Go to website, have them email you when in stock and buy them fast. Have picked up a bunch of primers that way.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Academy seems to be the best price ($6.99) when in stock. No hazmat for local pickup. Go to website, have them email you when in stock and buy them fast. Have picked up a bunch of primers that way.

Yes they have small primers currently. Last weekend I bought 1000. I might head out today to get some more. The way the world is looking and the stories from the The Simpsons looks like we might get into a bad time coming this year lol...

Top Bottom