APOD Firearms

Cutting sugar and all dairy (except milk)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I discussed dropping sugar and grains for my 60th birthday present...not bloody likely; although I am cutting down on sugar(somewhat, kinda sorta). I have the discipline of a gnat.

Either plan should have dramatic results...good luck!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's not sugar, it's carbs. All carbohydrates turn to sugar as soon as you eat them. So giving up a cookie, but eating a potato will not work. Fiber slows down the absorption of sugars, keeping your blood glucose from spiking. So eating a piece of fruit is not bad, but drinking fruit juice is bad.

A lot of people really don't digest milk once they reach adulthood. Try knocking it out and see if you feel better.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's not sugar, it's carbs. All carbohydrates turn to sugar as soon as you eat them. So giving up a cookie, but eating a potato will not work. Fiber slows down the absorption of sugars, keeping your blood glucose from spiking. So eating a piece of fruit is not bad, but drinking fruit juice is bad.

A lot of people really don't digest milk once they reach adulthood. Try knocking it out and see if you feel better.

I appreciate the info. I have the science/head knowledge. I just need the discipline. I don't drink tons of milk. Don't have any lactose issues.

Going to hit HEB tomorrow and buy stuff for veggie sammiches for the whole week. No cheese. Wheat bread. No dressing.

I am active. Exercise vigorously at least 3x a week. Just need to get the diet figured out.

illixir

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Colorado City
    I have lost 140 pounds this year on atkins and no additional exercise....the stuff works!

Sent from the middle if nowhere via Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Ehud

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2013
    Breaking Contact,

I had this problem when I was in the military not too long ago.

The poster below is correct, all carbs, including whole wheat turn to sugar. The ability to lose weight and keep it off, is directly related to your carb intake. For weight loss, you should only get your carbs from vegetables. Getting rid of dairy for now is also good. But there are other things that must change. For reference, check out the Paleo Solution or Primal Blueprint. I dropped 30 lbs. on this and put on 15 lbs of muscle.

Your primary dietary intake should consist of healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil and animal fats) and meat, eggs, fish with a big helping of vegetables. Get rid of all corn oils, canola oils etc.

Always eat a fat with your meal. Fat and protein release a chemical that makes you feel satiated. This will cause you to eat less and still feel full. Very important!

What you will be doing with this regimen is retraining your body over a few weeks to stop processing carbs for energy and re-engage your metabolism to burn fat. Your body won't like it at first, but you're in charge not it.

Exercise, should be short, intense work outs. You can do whatever you have available, but I do kettlebells 4 times a week in the morning which speeds up my metabolism for the rest of the day and allows me to get in cardio and weights at the same time. It takes 20 minutes. Next, include sprints on your off days. If you can do it, at least once a week put on a ruck sack and go rucking for 3-5 miles. Rucking is great for burning fat stores.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Funny you mentioned rucking. Saw a guy out humping a pack in the heat the other day.

I think I'm going to stick with increasing vegetables and focus on exercise at this point.

I know that whenever I've exercised intensely and regularly my diet didn't matter. I also appreciate this resilience dwindles with age.

I know kettle bells are wildly popular. Glad you mentioned them as I do need to combine strength training with my cardio. I'm "only" 30 pounds over my ideal weight but I'm finding it really difficult to drop these lbs.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Yes. I recently cut all chips, all dairy accept milk, salt and ketchup. The worst was cutting cream in my coffee. Started T shots a month ago too. So far I have dropped 7lbs and have been chasing everything that moves.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Funny you mentioned rucking. Saw a guy out humping a pack in the heat the other day.

I think I'm going to stick with increasing vegetables and focus on exercise at this point.

I know that whenever I've exercised intensely and regularly my diet didn't matter. I also appreciate this resilience dwindles with age.

I know kettle bells are wildly popular. Glad you mentioned them as I do need to combine strength training with my cardio. I'm "only" 30 pounds over my ideal weight but I'm finding it really difficult to drop these lbs.

My mom recently gave me some old photos that she saved when my house burned down in college. I was awed at how much thinner I was then. I thought I was fat at the time, and ate whatever I could run down, and all I did was lift.

I've gone through a couple of 'running' phases recently with no improvement to my figure, and after seeing those photos, I've gone back to my old philosophy of 'cardio is lifting weights fast'....DUDE!! I feel AWESOME, and the results (even if it is 'just' pump) are totally encouraging!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    There was about a two year period where I wouldn't touch sugar. I was literally cut up like Bruce Lee. I had muscle definition in places I had no idea muscles existed beforehand. I drank milk like a baby cow though. Sugar is evil.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I got clean & sober, I didn't stop there. Life since then has been a series of chopping things out of my life that hurt me or make my life difficult.

Some high points include:
    alcohol in any form
    sugar. I like trail mix for the nuts, raisins etc in it. It also has some chocolate pieces. That's all of my sugar, though.
    any carbonated beverage (diet or not)
    coffee
    caffeine
    tea except for no caffeine tea
    milk (except for a cup full with my cereal).
    chips
    popcorn
    I drink only water
    women

I eat pretzel balls from Walmart. They are low fat but I still intake some salt. I miss my chips!

The item that I miss LEAST? Women!

Flash

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When I got clean & sober, I didn't stop there. Life since then has been a series of chopping things out of my life that hurt me or make my life difficult.

alcohol in any form
    sugar. I like trail mix for the nuts, raisins etc in it. It also has some chocolate pieces. That's all of my sugar, though.
    coffee
    caffeine
    chips
    popcorn
    I drink only water
    women

I eat pretzel balls from Walmart. They are low fat but I still intake some salt. I miss my chips!

Flash

Wow. Well I don't hardly drink at all. Probably a 12 pack a year so I've got that going for me.

Mine is just a discipline issue when it comes to diet. I don't do fast food, but I drink caffeine drinks and eat lots of crappy snacks. This is balanced by drinking lots of water, eating vegetables.

Oh, eating late is another thing I need to work on.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If your carbs come from wheat, even whole wheat, limit your intake. The wheat we eat now is not like the wheat from even 50 years ago. The hybridization of wheat has increased yields but also added unintended side effects.
    Why Modern Wheat Is Considered Frankenwheat - Prevention.com
    Take a look, believe what you want, but there is growing evidence that wheat is your biggest enemy. I just included one link, you can do your own research.
    YMMV

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

alcohol in any form
    coffee
    caffeine
    chips
    popcorn
    I drink only water
    women

Flash

No women and Walmart pretzel balls ................ lol You funny

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am a great believer in keeping things simple. I couldn't get this damned belly off of me and no matter what I did, it stayed. Refer back to my previous post on CHIPS. I was shoveling 9000 calories per week in my face from potato chips!

It's been a couple of weeks now and I'm down 10 pounds from my start point but 7 pounds are directly related to dropping the chips!

I love to cook and I've been on a spare ribs and BBQ chicken diet with corn on the cob and applesauce kick. I eat that a lot and will until I get burned out on it. Meanwhile, the weight drops off!

Jake LOVES corn! I bite off a few kernels for him and he goes wild! He is also on a diet and is back to his slender shape. The corn comes out of Jake exactly the same way that it went in.

Flash

Top Bottom