• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skwerlee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2015
    Forney
    I recently purchased a brand new Rock Island Armory M5 pump shotgun from CYA Guns & Ammo in Forney Texas. The next day when I attempted to load it up with shells I discovered it was defective (very difficult to fill magazine to capacity/won't feed shells at all). I did thoroughly inspect the gun in store before purchase however this issue only rares its ugly head when fully loaded. I contacted CYA about the issue and spoke with the manager Valerie. She refused to issue a refund or exchange the shotgun citing their "all sales are final" policy. This is a pretty standard policy in the firearms industry and I do understand the need for the policy to be in place. Valerie informed me that it's not their responsibility if they sell a defective firearm and that I would have to contact the manufacturer directly and work with them on the issue. I calmly protested and stated that I understood their policy; however policy is bendable. This is a unfired brand new firearm that I just purchased from them so surely an exception could be made in order to accommodate a customer...it's not like the gun broke 2 months and several hundred rounds later. Valerie still refused. I then asked if they could contact the manufacturer on my behalf to get everything setup to be shipped off for repair...she also refused to do that. So I had to contact the manufacturer to get a RMA and FedEx shipping label. I brought everything up to CYA and spoke with a salesman named Paul as well as the manager Valerie. I explained that I was disappointed that they wouldn’t make an exception in order to take care of a customer. In addition, I was disappointed because the manager Valerie had me do all of the leg work with the manufacturer when they should have handled all of that for me their customer. Paul seemed to really care and kindly explained the reasoning behind the policy (which the manager Valerie never did). Once the policy was explained to me I better understood their position and so we moved forward from there. After our discussion I left the firearm, RMA info, and FedEx label with Paul and Valerie. I acknowledged Paul and shook his hand…however Valerie had a very rude, indifferent, and annoyed demeanor about her. After shaking Paul’s hand I also acknowledged her and she just stood there with her arms crossed and didn’t extend her hand to me like her salesmen Paul did...horrible customer service from her in my opinion. I understand they don't have to bend their policy if they don't want to. I prefer to do my business with folks that will gladly go out of the way to take care of the customer regardless of their store policy...whether that's a refund, exchange, or simply offering to handle the return/repair process for the customer. My main issue is with how poorly I was treated by management.

After this all went down I reached out to a friend of mine that works there at CYA. I told him what happened and he informed me that he recently quit his job with CYA over this type of behavior from Valerie. When the owner Caleb hired Valerie, my friend trained her. My friend said Valerie is all about making the sell and pushing the customers out the door as soon as possible...if there are any issues after the fact she wants no part of it...since she's the manager she pushes that philosophy on the rest of the staff. Sure wish i had known that before I gave them my business.
    Texas SOT

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    So, let me get this straight. You bought a gun from a shop, whose policy is all sales are final. You later found the firearm to be supposedly defective, so you demanded the seller to deal with it, instead of the manufacturer? Sounds like what everyone else has to do! Holy shit! How dare they treat you like a common person!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was kinda thinking that.

Only place I know if that has offered to handle problems has been a big box store.

I can understand maybe not liking the managers attitude, but I only know one side of the story and have no personal experience with them to go off of.

Why did you take the boxed up gun and shipping label to them?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm confused ... did you register to

Hello i just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Texan through and through. I've grown up around firearms thanks to my dad. I happened to Google "Best Texas Firearms Forum" and this site popped right up. I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning more from this resource.

or publicly slander a shop's actions?

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    The manager could have been less of an ass I guess. However, can't fault a company for not bending its explicit no-return, no-refund policy either.

skwerlee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2015
    Forney
    I'm confused ... did you register to

or publicly slander a shop's actions?

[h=2]slan·der[/h] transitive verb \ˈslan-dər\ : to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone

I slandered no one...Everything i said is 100% truth...folks that know me would never question that...however i understand that yall do not personally know me. I told the shop manager i would tell folks about my experience and she did not care in the least.

skwerlee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2015
    Forney
    So, let me get this straight. You bought a gun from a shop, whose policy is all sales are final. You later found the firearm to be supposedly defective, so you demanded the seller to deal with it, instead of the manufacturer? Sounds like what everyone else has to do! Holy shit! How dare they treat you like a common person!

Every shop I’ve ever dealt with more than gladly handles shipping/repair arrangements with the manufacturer for their customers. Gun shops sale a commodity...the exact same commodity as the shop down the road from them. The only thing that separates them from their competition is slight variances in prices and their customer service. CYA does not value customer service in my personal experience.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Do you feel empowered now?

The manager could have been less of an ass I guess. However, can't fault a company for not bending its explicit no-return, no-refund policy either.
    If the OP's account is accurate, the manager shouldn't even be an employee.

I didn't read it as placing fault but simply passing on a bad experience so others would know.

That said, I'm as leery as anyone else when a new member's 2nd post resembles skwerlee's, it just didn't come across as anything other than informative to me.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I don't always post reviews on the internet, but when I do...they're almost always negative and I only make one one post after registering on the hosting site. picture a drunk Dos Equis guy. $10 says OP sends a link to this thread to the store management to use as leverage to get what he wants or to rub it in their face. I see this crap all the time.

Trust me, I've bought lots of new turd guns. They go back to the manufacturer on the mfg's dime. I don't bother the retailer. Why involve a middle man?

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    slan·der

transitive verb \ˈslan-dər\ : to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone

I slandered no one...Everything i said is 100% truth...folks that know me would never question that...however i understand that yall do not personally know me. I told the shop manager i would tell folks about my experience and she did not care in the least.

Judging from that last paragraph in your OP, "libel" is what should keep you awake at night, not "slander"

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Interesting post. Valerie sounds like a real work of art. Of course it's an interesting story. I went ahead and googled CYA arms in Forney. According to their website, their policy is.

Returns
    If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact us for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) request within 10 business days of the receipt of the product. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it, offer you store credit, or offer you a refund, less 25% restocking fee, based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned within 10 business days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 15% open box fee in addition to the 25% restocking fee (totaling 40%) will be assessed on any sealed product that is opened or removed from its original packaging.

Please note that we do not permit the return of the following products:
    1. Special orders and products that are custom configured to your specifications.
    2. Products sold "as is" or "used" or that have been installed or used after receipt.
    3. NFA items that require ATF Transfer after the start of paperwork.
    4. Illumination devices, electronic sights, optics and night vision equipment.

Maybe they forgot to update their website with the whole all sales final bit?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    slan·der

transitive verb \ˈslan-dər\ : to make a false spoken statement that causes people to have a bad opinion of someone

Fair enough ... maybe you prefer "dragging their name through the mud in order to prevent someone from making a purchase".

Semantics ... same end result ...

At any rate, you second post on this site is one about your personal dissatisfaction with CYA.
    Truth or no ... your motives for being here are pretty transparent.
    And the reason I quoted your first post ... the introduction and highlighted the false pretense for your being here.

Another for my ignore list.

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I recently purchased a brand new Rock Island Armory M5 pump shotgun from CYA Guns & Ammo in Forney Texas. The next day when I attempted to load it up with shells I discovered it was defective (very difficult to fill magazine to capacity/won't feed shells at all). I did thoroughly inspect the gun in store before purchase however this issue only rares its ugly head when fully loaded. I contacted CYA about the issue and spoke with the manager Valerie. She refused to issue a refund or exchange the shotgun citing their "all sales are final" policy. This is a pretty standard policy in the firearms industry and I do understand the need for the policy to be in place. Valerie informed me that it's not their responsibility if they sell a defective firearm and that I would have to contact the manufacturer directly and work with them on the issue. I calmly protested and stated that I understood their policy; however policy is bendable. This is a unfired brand new firearm that I just purchased from them so surely an exception could be made in order to accommodate a customer...it's not like the gun broke 2 months and several hundred rounds later. Valerie still refused. I then asked if they could contact the manufacturer on my behalf to get everything setup to be shipped off for repair...she also refused to do that. So I had to contact the manufacturer to get a RMA and FedEx shipping label. I brought everything up to CYA and spoke with a salesman named Paul as well as the manager Valerie. I explained that I was disappointed that they wouldn’t make an exception in order to take care of a customer. In addition, I was disappointed because the manager Valerie had me do all of the leg work with the manufacturer when they should have handled all of that for me their customer. Paul seemed to really care and kindly explained the reasoning behind the policy (which the manager Valerie never did). Once the policy was explained to me I better understood their position and so we moved forward from there. After our discussion I left the firearm, RMA info, and FedEx label with Paul and Valerie. I acknowledged Paul and shook his hand…however Valerie had a very rude, indifferent, and annoyed demeanor about her. After shaking Paul’s hand I also acknowledged her and she just stood there with her arms crossed and didn’t extend her hand to me like her salesmen Paul did...horrible customer service from her in my opinion. I understand they don't have to bend their policy if they don't want to. I prefer to do my business with folks that will gladly go out of the way to take care of the customer regardless of their store policy...whether that's a refund, exchange, or simply offering to handle the return/repair process for the customer. My main issue is with how poorly I was treated by management.

After this all went down I reached out to a friend of mine that works there at CYA. I told him what happened and he informed me that he recently quit his job with CYA over this type of behavior from Valerie. When the owner Caleb hired Valerie, my friend trained her. My friend said Valerie is all about making the sell and pushing the customers out the door as soon as possible...if there are any issues after the fact she wants no part of it...since she's the manager she pushes that philosophy on the rest of the staff. Sure wish i had known that before I gave them my business.

Quoted so the original text can be read.

Your integrity is highly questionable.

00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    I bought a Saiga AK74 from Winchester Gun Gallery in Ft. Worth that had a problem where it flat out wouldn't chamber a round. I took it back to the guy I got it from at the store, he took it into the back and replicated the issue, and got me another gun. They didn't have to, and could've told me to go to the manufacturer, but they took care of me and I was very grateful.

To the OP, it sucks what happened and you shouldn't have to go through that with a new gun. That being said, there are many businesses that have a policy similar to the one at CYA. It sucks, but it is what it is.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    It would seem that Valerie won't last long if business stories like this get out to the local forums. Small businesses can't make rent payments with a load of negative info out there unless they are CTD.

Top Bottom