• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    So Thursday morning there was a shooting in one of the other sections controlled by my neighborhood's HOA. Below is a description of the incident as best I have been able to gather from various sources.

The homeowner was preparing to leave for work in the morning when he was alerted to activity in his neighbor's driveway. He went outside, armed with a pistol to run off/document the tire thieves he saw in the notification from his ring camera. When the thieves were confronted, the home owner only saw the one by his neighbor's vehicle. As the homeowner was fiddling with his phone trying to document individual he confronted, the second thief standing by the getaway vehicle fired five shots as he and his accomplice made their getaway. The five shots missed the homeowner hitting the brick and roof of his house a couple feet above his head.

I have to say good on the homeowner for attempting to protect his neighborhood. I don't know anything on when the police were called. He definitely made some mistakes with his situational awareness, and non use of concealment/cover.

Anyone have any other constructive criticism for the rest of us to learn from this scenario?
    Venture Surplus ad

Reactions: gll

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    First off, he grabbed a pistol. Rifle or shotgun would have been a better choice if available.

Secondly, it doesn't appear he returned fire. Sometimes you have to shoot back first.....

Third, like stated, no word of the police being called.

Fourth, being surprised by a second criminal. Should have been more aware.

Fifth, letting the criminals know he was there at all until it was too late for them to respond.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    When I was in Bridgeland wheel thefts here huge, they hit a ton of subdivisions in the area. A few years back they basically just went door to door through Cypress Creek Lakes. We mostly had kids pulling door handles, probably because most of the driveways were sloped making it tougher and slower to pull the wheels.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    When I was in Bridgeland wheel thefts here huge, they hit a ton of subdivisions in the area. A few years back they basically just went door to door through Cypress Creek Lakes. We mostly had kids pulling door handles, probably because most of the driveways were sloped making it tougher and slower to pull the wheels.
    Cant you shoot someone committing felony burglary at night on your property?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I recall not so long ago, a good Samaritan drawing his gun attempted to stop some crime or other (forgot the fine details) from happening in a Walmart.

He got the drop on the bad guy...and then bad guy's girlfriend materialized and shot the good Samaritan in the back killing him.

I'd step up to the plate in defense of a child, but in most scenarios people who adopt the John Wayne attitude of 'I've got a gun and know how to use it' you scum sucking criminal... quite often get smoked.

My gun is for defending my life and my loved ones.

My name ain't Marshall Dillon nor will I pretend to be...

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    That's not burglary. Its also not his property so it's not robbery as far as he's concerned/victim of. Its ADW once hes shot at.

I'm only commenting on those narrow concepts not weather or not he should be anything but a witness or drop a dime to the cops or more involved in the situation. He did put himself in a bad tactical position. Standing in a psuedo funnel of the backlight entryway is stupid.

I will say situational awareness sucked. I keep a bright light by the door, dont go out side without it.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I recall not so long ago, a good Samaritan drawing his gun attempted to stop some crime or other (forgot the fine details) from happening in a Walmart.

He got the drop on the bad guy...and then bad guy's girlfriend materialized and shot the good Samaritan in the back killing him.

I'd step up to the plate in defense of a child, but in most scenarios people who adopt the John Wayne attitude of 'I've got a gun and know how to use it' you scum sucking criminal... quite often get smoked.

My gun is for defending my life and my loved ones.

My name ain't Marshall Dillon nor will I pretend to be...
    Yeah there was a youtube of that. I agree with you. Some of you are LEO, I am not.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Fools rush in definitely apply in these situations.

I'm a firm proponent of be a good witness and call the cops and deter if you can where things like this are concerned.

Bodily injury, robbery of a person/aggravated robbery where there is a danger of injury is different IMHO, for me anyways, but rushing into these types crimes is stupid as these guys always have a lookout at minimum. You absolutely have to assume this and weigh the consequences of others misinterpreting the situation as well.

Its insured property. As much as I hate thieves I have to keep that in mind.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Fools rush in definitely apply in these situations.

I'm a firm proponent of be a good witness and call the cops and deter if you can where things like this are concerned.

Bodily injury, robbery of a person/aggravated robbery where there is a danger of injury is different IMHO, for me anyways, but rushing into these types crimes is stupid as these guys always have a lookout at minimum. You absolutely have to assume this and weigh the consequences of others misinterpreting the situation as well.

Its insured property. As much as I hate thieves I have to keep that in mind.
    I mostly agree. It's property that won't be used in the direct commission of creating further victims (like a stolen car or gun).

I can see calling police, snapping some good pics, observing the suspects to get a good description, and being an expert witness right up to the point they saw me and presented a gun. Then its time fore return fire.

My life isn't worth someone else's property when the property won't hurt anyone else and can be replaced.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Again that's not burglary.
    Griffin v. State
    815 S.W.2d 576 (1991)

Ray Kennedy GRIFFIN, Appellant, v. The STATE of Texas, Appellee.

No. 245-90.

Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas, En Banc.

June 5, 1991.

"Because "enter" is defined exactly the same for burglary of a building or habitation as it is for burglary of a vehicle, the element of intrusion into a building or habitation under § 30.02 should be of the same nature as intrusion into a vehicle under § 30.04. Stealing a mailbox or a window shutter attached to the side of a house would not be entry so as to constitute burglary. Similarly, stealing a hood ornament or antenna attached to the outside of a vehicle would not be entry so as to constitute burglary of a vehicle. Tires and hubcaps are analogous to these examples, because no entry of any part of the vehicle is effected."

DEADLY FORCE AND DEFENSE OF PROPERTY
    "Deadly force may be used to defend your land or tangible, movable property when you reasonably believe that immediate force is necessary to prevent another person from committing one of the following crimes:

Arson
    Burglary
    Aggravated robbery
    Theft at night, or
    Criminal mischief at night."

Me: Seems obvious this guy could have fired back when he was fired upon, but not after he fled to safety.

Top Bottom