• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    In a Vacuum there's no atmosphere to vibrate which is what produces the sound and carries the sound to your ear. At least that's my understanding.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Got proof?

The fact that a gun will fire underwater is a good clue as to what will happen in space. The recoil is an "equal and opposite" reaction. Depending on load and bullet weight, that reaction may be significant. In a rifle, 2000 foot pounds of muzzle energy isn't unusual. The reaction to that would be equal and opposite. Remember, maneuvering of the craft while in space is done with tiny bursts of gas discharge. 2000 foot pounds of energy would really get something moving!

I also suspect with free recoil of the shooter allowed, a semi auto would not function.

Back to the OP......the kid zapped you! He'll be bragging to his buddies about how he nailed you with his intro! He sounds like a neat kid!

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Can you hear or have you ever heard anyone screaming from space? Proof enough?
    Ocassionally, I hear screams and don't know thier source. Could be from space. Could be the call of love from prison.

In a Vacuum there's no atmosphere to vibrate which is what produces the sound and carries the sound to your ear. At least that's my understanding.
    Not quite said right but I got ya. Lack of atmosphere = lack of sound waves. I'm no scientist but makes sense.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I was listening to the radio on the way to work one morning and they had some guy who claims to be a former NASA scientist who answers questions listeners send in. One of them asked same question as your son: What would happen if you fired a gun in space. The "scientist's" answer was that it wouldn't work because there was no oxygen in space. I about came unglued! I tried to get through to the station to complain, but of course I couldn't. TexasRedneck's answer is right; smokeless powder contains it's own supply of oxygen, the gun would fire, and the recoil would send you moving in the opposite direction of the bullet.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    What's the 'shelf life' of oxygen in the smokeless powder in space? The ISS has been up for years. If someone took a gun and round(s) up years ago, would they fire today? Same question applies if the rounds were under water for an extended period of time, but not what this thread is about.

If, in space, a projectile left the muzzle at say 1800fps, would it continue that rate of speed infinitely? Impact with another object excluded.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Only one way to settle this once and for all: New NASA mission to investigate the effects of guns in outer space. If any aliens were thinking about conquering us before, I bet they'll have reservations after seeing what we spend our money and greatest scientific efforts on.

What are you going to whine about now, Stephen Hawking???

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    If any aliens were thinking about conquering us before, I bet they'll have reservations after seeing what we spend our money and greatest scientific efforts on.

Have you not seen Star Wars? Their weapons are far more advanced than ours. If anything we will piss them off by hitting them with stray bullets.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    "Dad, if you fire a gun in space what will happen?"

The primer will ignite the powder charge, the bullet will travel down the bore, and depending on the angle of the shot, the recoil will either propel you further into space or into a low Earth orbit where you and your space suit will be consumed by fire.

Be well.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    What's the 'shelf life' of oxygen in the smokeless powder in space? The ISS has been up for years. If someone took a gun and round(s) up years ago, would they fire today? Same question applies if the rounds were under water for an extended period of time, but not what this thread is about.

If, in space, a projectile left the muzzle at say 1800fps, would it continue that rate of speed infinitely? Impact with another object excluded.

Shelf life? The oxygen is chemically bound to the hydrocarbons as a nitrate (e.g., nitrocellulose). Ammo from WWI still works.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Have you not seen Star Wars? Their weapons are far more advanced than ours. If anything we will piss them off by hitting them with stray bullets.

Well, Mr. Brainiac, I'll remind you that Star Wars is a movie. I'm talking about REAL LIFE here! :P

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The recoil is an "equal and opposite" reaction. Depending on load and bullet weight, that reaction may be significant. In a rifle, 2000 foot pounds of muzzle energy isn't unusual. The reaction to that would be equal and opposite

It is equal and opposite on Earth too. The recoil will not be much different, as the mass of the gun/shooter absorbs most of the recoil. From the shooter's persepctiver, not much different than shooting while free-falling, from the bullet's perspective, it will just keep on going until gravity from something starts to pull on it, ... just like on Earth.

Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington
    Indeed ... fortunately we have a little more mass for that force to move. Gonna be alot of inertia, but little speed.

The powder and primer produce their own combustible products. A vacuum would dampen the energy of the combustion somewhat since you don't have local additive combustibles from the air.
    I can't buy that, rounds are forced to seal with the rifling on modern firearms.... so practically no air gets in there, and there is no air in the barrel to push out of the way. SO I say it would produce more projectile energy, though only I"m thinking half for the bullet, and have for austronaut. (not quite perfect because of the limp way a human responds to recoil but generally speaking) and it would go a long way, but there is dust in space, it would probably stop before hitting something substantial if it made it out of our solar system, which I bet it would I don't think it would slow fast enough to not make it out....

Top Bottom