Venture Surplus ad

Damnit... Mother in law coming.... Hide the guns... holy crap there are alot!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and no kids. Im usually no more than 15' from a gun problem is her mom's pretty Anti... well... maybe not an anti but more of a "don't ask don't tell"... she know's i have guns, but i don't think she knows to the extent of my collection HAHAHAHAHA....

This is what i have around the place, there are many more. Ever think "I dare you to break in!" and yes, one in each bathroom!... and their prepped with Grease instead of oil

210yull.jpg

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Don't hide them, it's YOUR home.....not hers. I would not go out of my way to display them to her. However, I would also not go hiding my stuff from her. You are who you are.....that is who your wife married. If your wife wants to hide them, then let her put them away while her mom is there.

I see it this way: You have these guns to protect your MIL's daughter. You obviously must enjoy shooting them, hopefully your wife does too. Good luck! I bet your MIL will respect you more for being yourself, than if she was to find a cache of guns you tried to hide from her..........but who knows? MIL's are impossible to figure out and you know her much better than I do.

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    She will be here for 2 days. Its not worth the hassle, LOL... I'll still have 3 around, they will just be better hidden and 1 on me. I just don't want her to go into the bathroom and reach for a towell in the basket and pull a gun hahahahaha!...

The Eotech is AWESOME!.... i already regret not getting the 3x at the same time... i could totally see the benefit of it now. Oh well, live and learn and the EOTech is awesome stand alone.

JOe

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    LOL....I told you that you'd want it.

I get the MIL thing. Mine has a huge ranch and grew up with a bunch of hunters............but she has no guns, boots, or hats. What's up with that? She thinks I'm a gun nut that has converted her daughter into a gun nut. I don't mind her thinking that.......it's easier than trying to explain why we have what we have. Besides, she really likes me and we have agreed to disagree on several subjects. Neither of us feel we have to agree on everything, we accept each other as we are.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I know how the MIL thing goes mine wont even come into my house becasue of my gun collection. She stayed with us once when i was in TN only had a HD SG at the time but i had to take it to the nieghbors so that i didnt have to drive her back here to Austin. But when she went to sleep i went back over and got my SG.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Don't hide them, it's YOUR home.....not hers. I would not go out of my way to display them to her. However, I would also not go hiding my stuff from her. You are who you are.....that is who your wife married. If your wife wants to hide them, then let her put them away while her mom is there.

I see it this way: You have these guns to protect your MIL's daughter. You obviously must enjoy shooting them, hopefully your wife does too. Good luck! I bet your MIL will respect you more for being yourself, than if she was to find a cache of guns you tried to hide from her..........but who knows? MIL's are impossible to figure out and you know her much better than I do.

+1

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I'd move some of them just because I don't want someone who doesn't know how to handle a gun stumbling on one that's locked and loaded.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd move some of them just because I don't want someone who doesn't know how to handle a gun stumbling on one that's locked and loaded.

Yeah, safety is paramount, especially with people that are afraid of guns.

At the same time, being you is one thing, being respectful of another person is another.

I would move the obvious ones out of courtesy, but I certainly wouldn't go hiding them all, because after all ... you worked for them, your house, your wife, etc.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, safety is paramount, especially with people that are afraid of guns.

At the same time, being you is one thing, being respectful of another person is another.

I would move the obvious ones out of courtesy, but I certainly wouldn't go hiding them all, because after all ... you worked for them, your house, your wife, etc.

Exactly why I said "some of them." :p

sgtjab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    dallas
    I am sure most of us keep our guns where we know where they are but most people will not just happen on them but in this case I would move then out of respect. Funny as it sounds our "public bathroom gun" is kept in a small safe in a drawer that would stay.

TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    You may be the first non-professional-gun-reviewer that can comment with first hand experience on the infinite XD/Glock/XDM/M&P threads!!!!!!!

Definitely secure any guns your MIL could have access to. Don't want an accident to happen (because of her) which in her mind would bolster her extremist positions.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    My MIL only asked once about my guns.... asked why I had them.... I told her, "to kill people I don't like..but I like you" She hasn't said anything about them since...MG

jracca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    DFW
    Don't hide them, but they shouldn't be lying out in the open anyway ,if someone breaks in you do not want them grabbing one of your guns.

I like to keep mine on my hip most of the time. I keep some in the bedroom, and one in the office on the other end of the house for those times when one is not on my person. I don't care who comes, they have to respect my home. If I go to someone elses home and they tell me not to have a gun, then I can leave or not bring a gun. But homefield advantage applies, along with mutual respect, but respect doesn't mean you have to change, just don't take them out and clean them in front of her.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Were I in your situation, I would consider this: my house, my mortgage, my rules. I'd tell MIL if she doesn't like it, I would be happy to assist her in getting to the hotel of her choosing.

Fortunately my own MIL has no such hang-ups and I have therefore not been relegated to the couch.

Top Bottom