• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So, I check my Email this morning and there are two from Wells Fargo. One informs me that my debit card was declined at an Apple I-tune store in CA, for $106. The second one went thru though for $95. Neither charge is mine. I'm not into I-Pods.

Anyway, WF has blocked my card, and pending investigation, will probably reimburse my account for the fraudulent charge. New card arriving in 5 to 10 business days.

I rarely use the card for anything other than online shopping, gas, and Walmart. I've been doing a lot of disaster prep buying online lately. My guess is that it came from one of them leaking/selling my card number. But who knows.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    WF ran my buddy through the wringer after his wife's purse got stolen. It was a mess and took over a year to get it straightened out.

WF actually wanted my buddy to cover the money (hot checks) taken out of his account by the thieves.

I will never bank with them.

I hope your ordeal is much less painful.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    my shit gets hacked about once every 2 years. i don't think it's someone selling the info, as much as it's just some fucker trying random numbers until it goes through. SOP is a randomly generated number and expiration date, then it gets used somewhere like itunes for a small amount. if it goes through, they know it's a legit card and they will use it elsewhere. i always manage to catch it while it's still processing.

one time some Irish fucks hacked my PayPal debit card and ran up the tab on bus passes, music passes, and about $25 to the British Red Cross. The first 2 were easy to deal with, but the BRC was a nightmare. they did not answer any of my emails so i had to call them, which was a big hassle to schedule due to the time difference. the stupid lady kept asking me for a Transaction Number, and couldn't get her mind around the fact that I did not make the transaction so of course i don't have a transaction number. when she finally realized i was in the USA (after having told her several times), she told me, "Well I'm sorry but I can't help you. We don't service the United States. Please call the American Red Cross."

my PayPal account was outstanding for a few weeks while i tried to resolve all this. i ended up just paying the $25 so i could use my PayPal account again. i figure it was the British Red Cross... could be worse.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Similar happened to me last year.
    Two attempted fraudulent charges were +/-$1300, in Florida, and minutes apart.
    WF took care of it without blinking, had a new card in 3 days.

Don't think for a minute it was WF being on the ball, but me. I made the call.

I take advantage of their text alerts for all transactions that hit an account over $1, and check or balance those accounts every morning and evening.

Like I taught my kids, you can use technology for banking, but only if you know how much money you have every minute of every day.

If you don't someone is going to take it from you ...

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Once chip cards and terminals are prevalent everywhere, the next step will be chip readers for home PC's, where you physically plug in the card to validate it for online transactions.

That, or two-factor authentication that requires you input a code they text your phone, etc.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    That, or two-factor authentication that requires you input a code they text your phone, etc.

Today, one of the most important things, if not the the most important, you can do to protect your digital life: use an email provider that requires two factor authentication to access your email account settings.

Both yahoo.com and gmail.com offer that. Despite their reputation, they can save your online butt. Most financial institutions use an email address to allow you to change passwords. Hack that address, and lock the owner out, and digital life dominoes start to fall. Two factor authentication, using a smart phone, makes that much more difficult.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Security is always at odds with convenience. Being in IT makes it much more clear - people have a really tough time keeping passwords straight as it is, adding in 2-factor would digitally cripple a lot of folks. Honestly, the world needs a new verification and authentication model, passwords and security questions are too hard for the masses and too easy for the crooks.

Credit card numbers are also too easy, they're only 16 digits - actually less when you consider the leading (up to 6) digits fit a pattern. e.g. 6011 is always Discover, 37 is always AMEX, 4xxx is always VISA, 5xxx is always MC, and there's further breakdown from there as well (like Chase has 4147-20, BofA has 4147-16, etc.). Anyone have a Cabella's card? Probably starts with 4045-27, right? Beyond that, each card number has to fit an exceedingly simple [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]mathematical formula (Luhn algorithm) which further limits the combinations. What happens to your card number when it's compromised and they give you a "new" number? You're probably getting a number that someone else had compromised. [/FONT]

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    . What happens to your card number when it's compromised and they give you a "new" number? You're probably getting a number that someone else had compromised.

Oh, great. Well, at least the CVV code on the back should be unique to the card. Most online shops require it when making a purchase.

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    I had someone charge my Wells Fargo card using PayPal a couple months ago. I noticed it a few days later and called Wells Fargo. The guy sounded Norwegian and I could barely understand him. He said everything was taken care of and I should be getting an email later to confirm everything. A few days go by and nothing, so I called again. Apparently, "Sven" did nothing and I had to do the whole process over again. Finally got it straightened out though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Eh, stuff happens. A great gauge for a bank's customer service is how they handle issues like these.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    All is well. WF completed their investigation, found an "error" and credited my account. New card on the way. All in all, it was handled quickly and efficiently. Kudos to Wells Fargo.

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    Good deal. You can get a temporary card at any Wells Fargo while you wait for the new one in the mail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom