• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    My PC won't turn on at all. The only thing that happens is the little green light on the back of the PCU comes on. The power button doesn't light up and the PCU fan doesn't run.

I looked up how to test the PCU and it seems okay. I also checked the power switch. Is my motherboard fried???

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2
    Texas SOT

Radarscratch

I void warranties.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Westminster
    Sounds like motherboard, depending on how old the oc is, you could pull the power leads off the mobo and see if the power supply will power up. you could tske it to frys or microcenter to test.it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Computers can suck, that's for sure. Good luck.

Can I assume you've tested the outlet, say with a blow dryer? Maybe the power strip being used?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I tried a new outlet and power cord.
    When I tested the PCU I used a jumper and the fan came on. It doesn't when plugged into the mobo.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Sounds like motherboard, depending on how old the oc is, you could pull the power leads off the mobo and see if the power supply will power up. you could tske it to frys or microcenter to test.it.
    Good idea. Be aware though that some video cards (if it's a separate card and not on-board video) require an extra power connection, and some machines won't boot if one or more fans are unplugged or not working. Strip it down to as little as it would take to boot into BIOS (everything you see before Windows loads). Remove any accessory cards if you have any. Take a close look at the board and see if there are any obvious signs of damage (one or more smoked parts).

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    My PC won't turn on at all. The only thing that happens is the little green light on the back of the PCU comes on. The power button doesn't light up and the PCU fan doesn't run.

I looked up how to test the PCU and it seems okay. I also checked the power switch. Is my motherboard fried???

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2

If you can please relate the details of what kind of system you have. May not seem relevant to some, but when troubleshooting it can often help narrow down problems.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Same thing occured with my very good HP computer, took it to whom I believed was a reputable computer repair business. Had to pay in advance $70 labor to diagnose (and hopefully fix)..Then they tell me that the memory is okay but the Mother Board is fried and that for $375 they can put my memory into a computer of their choosing. I brought it home, found the exact, correct Mother Board on the internet ($127) and will order and replace once my dollar ship comes in and docks ! I detest ripoff people !

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    What is the exact HP model of your PC by name not model #.
    Have you tried using the Quickplay button on your keyboard ( looks like a circular arrow ) to see if it turns on?
    HP's have some quirks with power; the power flex cable could be bad and believe it or not a dead CMOS battery can also keep the PC from powering up.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    If you're not using a PSU tester you're not testing the PSU! I used to be a bench tech, I've had PSUs that were 2/3 bad and would still kick the fan on when shorted to start. There's 12V, 5.5V, and 3.3V, all DC.

Eli

Fighta1337

US NAVY
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    west side of 20 Fort Worth
    can u list your specs? like what cpu u have? did u do any upgrades?

ALSO, i have found that RAM could be an issue aswell, when RAM dies your computer could power up for an instant and turn off again. Among other random screwey things. I build computers constantly and for a power issue like that its norm 1 of 3 things

an upgraded piece that your powersupply isnt sufficiant wattage now

dead motherboard (which u can buy one for 45-300 dollars depending on what you are wanting to do with it)

or RAM issues

also check n see if your wires on the JSP1 part of your mobo havent been loosened up

Top Bottom