• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Not sure WHO amended the original; but "Deader than a doorNAIL" seems to have some basis in carpentry:

[The phrase] could come from a standard term in carpentry. If you hammer a nail through a piece of timber and then flatten the end over on the inside so it can’t be removed again (a technique called clinching), the nail is said to be dead, because you can’t use it again. Doornails would very probably have been subjected to this treatment to give extra strength in the years before screws were available. So they were dead because they’d been clinched. It sounds plausible, but whether it’s right or not we will probably never know.

From....
    _
    English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Yep, all the oldtimers I was exposed to as a kid always said "deader than a door nail" not door knob, so that's how I've always said it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Youse guys are right.
    I just happened to hear it stated as I asked, and it got me thinking about it for some reason. I didn't even realize it was "mis-stated" at the moment.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    yeah, the phrase is deader than a door nail
    I actually spent alot of time compiling a list of old phrases several years ago

many of them came from nauitcal backgrounds and alot of them from the King James Bible of 1611

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My dad always said "boy, when I get home I'm gonna punch your momma in the mouth..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    My son would tell you my favorite was either "Improvise, adapt, & overcome" or "Better to have it & not need it than to need it and not have it".

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    My son would tell you my favorite was either "Improvise, adapt, & overcome" or "Better to have it & not need it than to need it and not have it".

But if you live by the second how will you ever get to practice the first?

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    yeah, the phrase is deader than a door nail
    I actually spent alot of time compiling a list of old phrases several years ago

many of them came from nauitcal backgrounds and alot of them from the King James Bible of 1611
    There was actually a tv show that addressed this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    But if you live by the second how will you ever get to practice the first?
    Because life has a habit of throwing nasty surprise to even the most prepared.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Not sure WHO amended the original; but "Deader than a doorNAIL" seems to have some basis in carpentry:

[The phrase] could come from a standard term in carpentry. If you hammer a nail through a piece of timber and then flatten the end over on the inside so it can’t be removed again (a technique called clinching), the nail is said to be dead, because you can’t use it again. Doornails would very probably have been subjected to this treatment to give extra strength in the years before screws were available. So they were dead because they’d been clinched. It sounds plausible, but whether it’s right or not we will probably never know.

From....
    _
    English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Hey.....that makes a lot of sense to me! Growing up as a Yankee in Chicago, the term used there is "deader than a door nail." According to your information, if the nail had been "clinched" in a high stress application like a door frame, it would have been "Deader than a door nail!"

I learn something new every day! Thanks!

Flash

Top Bottom