• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • makeitcount

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    fort worth
    Tough break. Ya need a lawyer damn quick. But not-in-plain view means just that. Ya stand a good chance of losing your lic.
    Hope the best for ya though.
    Guns International

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    +1

Thus you need to do it as soon as you see him driving behind you.

Exactly, or

- stick a holster in between your seat and console with w/ something over it
    - throw a towel over your existing mount
    - mount a holster inside your center console
    - keep the gun on your person in a holster
    - bring a long gun and lay it on the seat instead
    - google ranges on your drive that you're "travelling to"

There's a plethora of options. And yes Guapo, I know what a plethora is.

I'm rooting for you. This isn't the sort of thing our courts need to be tied up with. There's actual criminals out there.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is yet another good example of why it's a good thing the Texas state mandated CHL curriculum centers largely around the penal code, rules and regulations as opposed to what people think they're getting. They always think it's going to teach them how to carry and how to shoot. Would be great if that were possible, but that 10hr class would turn into a 3 day class very quickly. The law is ambiguous and requires a lot of explaining to make sense.

IMO, make sure the gun is truly out of sight from every angle. On top of that, secure the gun PROPERLY. These cheapo generic holsters and mounting mechanisms being sold by some of these companies for car carry purposes are all pretty generic trash from what I have seen so far. Now if some of them started offering a Safariland SLS or ALS holster mounted in various positions and maybe covered by a spring-loaded and quickly removable piece of something that looks like console/dash trim....maybe we might be talking. On an interesting note, although they're not exactly concealed, I have seen a number of vehicle mounted weapon setups from Texas Game Wardens, I think DPS IIRC, and another LE agency or two. A person might be able to gain some good ideas on designing their own to properly meet the law of "not in plain sight" by looking at pics of some of these setups.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Even if everything you say is true...it's not the best idea to be grabbing a gun and throwing it under the seat as the officer pulls you over or is walking towards the car.

+1 Yea I thought about that when I typed it. That cop gonna see you bend over from behind. I would be doing that before I pulled over, or at least put it in the center console.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    So, if I am hearing everyone correctly, I cannot mount my double holsters, one on either side of my steering wheel so I can have two handguns sticking up, ever so slightly, above the dashboard?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, if I am hearing everyone correctly, I cannot mount my double holsters, one on either side of my steering wheel so I can have two handguns sticking up, ever so slightly, above the dashboard?

You can if you are on your way to the range.....

91wm6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Again, im more than likely going to be contested on this, but, would it have been to much to get me out of the vehicle, make sure im clean and then give me a lesson on where I need to keep it? Instead of going all dirty harry dont pass go dont collect 200$ straight to jail route it took.

The LEO was able to see the firearm in plain view while performing a traffic stop, so obviously it wasn't properly concealed. I do agree he should have explained what the problem was and sent you on your way with a ticket. Unfortunately he spazzed out and sent you to jail instead so you will have to fight it out in court. Remember the judicial system is not based on common sense, or even right and wrong. It is based on arbitrary penal codes and whether or not the state ( prosecutor) can prove you broke the law...

You need to hire a good criminal defense attorney. You need to find the best one you can afford, then find somebody even better and do whatever it takes to convince him to represent you. He should be able to get the charge dropped, or at least get the charge reduced. At the very least you should be able to get deferred adjudication probation. The charge will be on your record but it won't count as a conviction and you can have your record sealed after you successfully complete probation. You will get to keep your 2nd amendment rights( after you finish probation) and will be eligible for a CHL 5-10 years after you complete probation. If you have any specific questions pm me and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck... Jason

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My solution.
    View attachment 15309
    Sits beside me all the time.
    Sometimes I even buckle it in.
    2/3 unzipped you can't see any part of the pistol but can retrieve in a blink.
    Redhead soft side case.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My solution.
    View attachment 15309
    Sits beside me all the time.
    Sometimes I even buckle it in.
    2/3 unzipped you can't see any part of the pistol but can retrieve in a blink.
    Redhead soft side case.

I use the same solution, usually keep in the pouch on the door, week hand but I can have a hand on it without someone knowing if I feel threatened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    The reason you want it out of "plain sight" is because that is what the law says. That doesn't mean just during traffic stops, that means every time, all the time.
    Correct, what I meant, I would be damn sure I had it out of sight enough to prevent a police officer from seeing it during a traffic stop. Like you say, no one should see it.

Personally I keep mine holstered on my person, even in the vehicle.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Again, im more than likely going to be contested on this, but, would it have been to much to get me out of the vehicle, make sure im clean and then give me a lesson on where I need to keep it? Instead of going all dirty harry dont pass go dont collect 200$ straight to jail route it took.

The LEO was able to see the firearm in plain view while performing a traffic stop, so obviously it wasn't properly concealed. I do agree he should have explained what the problem was and sent you on your way with a ticket. Unfortunately he spazzed out and sent you to jail instead so you will have to fight it out in court. Remember the judicial system is not based on common sense, or even right and wrong. It is based on arbitrary penal codes and whether or not the state ( prosecutor) can prove you broke the law...

You need to hire a good criminal defense attorney. You need to find the best one you can afford, then find somebody even better and do whatever it takes to convince him to represent you. He should be able to get the charge dropped, or at least get the charge reduced. At the very least you should be able to get deferred adjudication probation. The charge will be on your record but it won't count as a conviction and you can have your record sealed after you successfully complete probation. You will get to keep your 2nd amendment rights( after you finish probation) and will be eligible for a CHL 5-10 years after you complete probation. If you have any specific questions pm me and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck... Jason

Pretty good advice. A deferred is not sealed. Anyone can see it. UCW, which the OP is charged with, is a Class A misdemeanor and will make him ineligible for a CHL for 5 yeats from the date of conviction or the date the deferred is ordered. A deferred counts as a conviction for licensing in many areas.

A order of non disclosure, not a deferred, would be sealed from all but criminal justice agencies. Once a prescribed period has passed, a person dischsrged from deferred can apply for an order of non disclosure.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Pretty good advice. A deferred is not sealed. Anyone can see it. UCW, which the OP is charged with, is a Class A misdemeanor and will make him ineligible for a CHL for 5 yeats from the date of conviction or the date the deferred is ordered. A deferred counts as a conviction for licensing in many areas.

A order of non disclosure, not a deferred, would be sealed from all but criminal justice agencies. Once a prescribed period has passed, a person dischsrged from deferred can apply for an order of non disclosure.

If he takes a deferral for ucw he can petition for an order of non disclosure after 2 years.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    When I first seen that holster about a year ago, I thought it was pretty sharp and a great idea.

Top Bottom