Venture Surplus ad

Demand outweighs supplies - how long will this last?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • REM1875

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2019
    Clay County TX

This was what killed the 327 Federal Magnum last time - New round..... New guns ..... No ammo ...... the only ammo back then when it could be found, was 20 rd boxes for defense that cost the astronomical cost over a $1.00 a round ....... that was extremely astronomical for back then. Brass was unavailable except from fired rounds .......
    Not exact the type you take to the range and share with others which makes people talk about and getting them buying. Taurus, Charter Arms, S&W, and even Ruger all dropped their guns before the ammo became available. Bowen was the only one left by then at over $2000 a weapon made this pretty much unworkable and only Ruger's re-release kept the round from total oblivion. The damage was done.

$89 for a box of 9mm now is amazing .... I thought that was for a box of 200 ...... nope ....... for a box of 50 !!!

Last edited:

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The wolf ammo will be back, they will crank out a billion steel case 9mm and 5.56 so we can go back to arguing I’m if it’s worth a hoot and newbs can ask if it will hurt their....whatever fun. I loved 135 case 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s going to be a minute. It took 2 years to recover from Sandyhook. It is going to be dependent on the election, if Trump is re-elect anticipate more riots and violence, if it’s Biden watch for bans. Companies are cranking out pistol ammo as fast as they can, but it takes time to get to retail. I get emails all day about in stock, but sold out in an hour or 2.

newbirdhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    I see guys that reload maybe 2k rounds a year buying 10k primers because "they might not be able to find them again". I guess screw the next guy that might need them now is part of the greed that is becoming a habit.

This right here!

ktaylor966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    DFW
    Manufacturers ramped up during the last panic, only to have sales fall off.

They won't do that again for a few years or so. Then they will forget.

If Trump gets reelected and the riots subside, demand will ease up.

Trump will get re-elected but that will result in Far worse civil unrest, it’ll make today’s Portland look like Disney World. Keep stocking up on supplies, regardless of escalating prices.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I'm not so sure how legit this ammo shortage is. A weekend or so ago I was at the Ft Worth gun show and there was plenty of ammo on lots of tables. The only way you could tell there was a shortage was by the prices they were charging.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'm not so sure how legit this ammo shortage is. A weekend or so ago I was at the Ft Worth gun show and there was plenty of ammo on lots of tables. The only way you could tell there was a shortage was by the prices they were charging.
    You dont consider the exorbitant high prices of ammo (and guns) an indicator of low supply?

Ibmikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2014
    East Texas
    I was in a gun shop yesterday and noticed a dozen or more cases of 223 at $600 a case:m16: and an open case where they were filling 20 rd boxes and marking 18.99 on them.....or $950. A case. I would be happy to sell a case of my stash for $950. But my momma would rise out of her grave and slap me silly.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    We will see more mom and pop and other small gun stores close forever.....No guns to sell, no ammo to sell makes it extremely difficult to keep the doors open.....hell, even optics/RDS are hard to get.......

AR15/rifles/parts glut is over too........folks are selling franken guns for premium prices.........
    That's going to happen anyway.

Conversation yesterday:

"Hey, I was in here a while back and we were talking about reloading. So I'm back now. I decided to take the plunge."

"Great!"

"So now I need some powder and primers."

"Umm, okay. So do you have a press yet?"
    Ya, I got that a Hornady Classic Kit.
    "(I know we didn't sell one) Oh, so where'd you get that?"
    Academy
    "And you didn't get the powder and primers?"
    They didn't have any. But I know you know a lot about this so that's why I'm here.
    "So now you need advice on what to get. What did Academy say when you asked them about what to get?"
    They don't know anything about reloading. But hey, I'm going to buy some powder from you.
    "I'll make a few bucks on powder in exchange for a 30 minute crash course on reloading? You just spent $1000 at Academy just to buy product and get a blank look. I want to help you but I can't afford to do it for $5/hr."
    Okay, I get it. I know I should have bought it from you.

(so we go through everything else he needs...pretty much everything he already bought at Academy and would have obviously bought the powder and primers if they had it)

Between Academy and online shopping, LGSs are on their way out anyway.

We had $189 cases of 9mm before COVID and a guy told me he could get it cheaper online. That's 9.50/box to walk out the door (plus tax). We make barely $1/box on that. A week after COVID started and we realized we were a month backordered on ammo (besides it being generally unavailable) we went to $15/box and people were asking if we had a limit. Sold out in two days.

So LGSs are on their way out because people who "love to support local" do most of their shopping online. Hey, that's just evolution. Adapt or die. But when they charge you $30 to put a drop in trigger in an AR, realize that's because they're not selling you the trigger anymore or didn't sell you the gun it's going in. And if they can get powder or primers or ammo, and they're the only ones within 50 miles that has it, then they get to charge whatever they want. When Gunbroker auctions are closing at $30/box for 9mm, don't beat up the LGS if he's charging at least that much. As someone said, that LGS has to pay 4 months of rent and payroll off that one order. He's not getting 9mm ammo in but once every 4 months now maybe.

The only guns we have in stock for the most part are consignment and trade ins. Very few new guns. We are getting 110 pounds of powder and a few thousand primers in, but they go out within days of coming in and then it's another month before we see anything (Retumbo, H4350, Varget, etc).

That's the reality right now.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I was in a gun shop yesterday and noticed a dozen or more cases of 223 at $600 a case:m16: and an open case where they were filling 20 rd boxes and marking 18.99 on them.....or $950. A case. I would be happy to sell a case of my stash for $950. But my momma would rise out of her grave and slap me silly.
    We couldn't get any ammo and put the word out. I had a customer bring new in box ammo twice. His total checks added up to nearly $7000 in two weeks. It was the only way we could get 40, 380, 7.62x39, etc.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    It's a great time to reload, IF you've been stocking up on supplies!
    Yes it is. I stocked up on everything knowing another shortage was coming. I have started casting more and shooting my stock of fmj less. I have a lot of plate racks at my gun club. The bullet spall collects underneath the rack. I gather several 5 gallon buckets worth and melt it all down and it keeps me going. It's a lot of work but worth it and makes great bullets.

2e7c57d449ed75dac857741614cfafca.jpg

TTM07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2019
    San Antonio
    Somehow LGS need to figure out a way to work together and bulk order this stuff. A co-op of some sort maybe. Also they need to up their game on customer service and knowing their business. I've met plenty of staff at my LGS that have been just as clueless as the guys at Academy.

Top Bottom