• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Are you looking to stay in the Houston area?

I had an HR manager at a pretty cool place hit me up, but I'm not ready to leave the energy industry.

I looked at their site and they have a LOT of stuff that I'm qualified for, I'm sure that you'd be qualified for a good bit of it as well.

But they are located outside of Waco.....
    Yes, im looking for stability now. My wife also has vowed to never, ever, ever leave texas again even if its a vacation.
    A+ or a Network+ would be helpful, but not necessary. If you can flip switches on a and off, crimp an RJ45 connector, and console a laptop to a server or network device then you can handle the job. You could try local computer shops or Geek Squad, but the better jobs would be with field tech companies like Endeavor, NCR, Acuative, etc...
    Thats easy as pie. But easy as pie usually equals low pay. Are you in this field?
    I'm doing procurement. We had one guy who was in the Marine reserves. Guy is dumb as hell and all around obnoxious, nobody wants to talk to him for more than 2 minutes because of his attitude and general rudeness, but he always got more opportunities because he always brought up relatable stuff he did in the USMC.
    Is that what youre going to college for? I know youve been studying for a long time. Or is this just an in the meantime thing?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

TrusttheLord

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Marble Falls
    Not exactly a desk job, but have you considered looking into getting your cwi, not that physically demanding, and depending on what cert you get you could be outdoors some too.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, I can tell you it's a pretty competitive market out there, and if you want to compete in it, you had better find something that makes you stand out from the other 99.99999% of applicants you're up against!

In all seriousness, I see a lot of resumes because I am in a business (defense contractor) that is pretty lucrative. I have been lucky in that I've stayed steadily employed in the past nine years since retiring from the military, and all that with the same company; but I've also gotten a second graduate degree and other qualifications/certifications because no matter how good you are, there's always someone willing to do your job for less!

So, it might not be a bad idea to sit down with a headhunter and build a resume based on your current skills and determine which career field you are best suited for. Unfortunately, the transition from manual labor to white collar is not an easy one, usually those jobs go to people who have tons of experience or qualifications. That vast majority of the company that I work for is made up of retired military. You do have your military experience going for you, but so do 23 million other vets. You'd better find something that makes you stand out from the crowd, otherwise you're going to blend in like desert camouflage in the Middle East!

Seriously, find a job coach and get some professional help. They can really help, and at this point provide you with some realistic expectations based on your skills and experience.

Good luck! M2

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    As a Unified Communications / Voice engineer I can tell you that a basic CCNA certification would be enough to get you into a NOC and do shift work learning things and in a few years moving up to a Tier 2 position with better pay. At least in the IT field, you aren't going to find something that has instant rewards as it requires experience and certifications and with assistance of a degree that goes further.

I'm also a veteran and that is going in your favor since, last I checked, companies still get tax breaks on hiring us. I've been around the block a few times at this point, been doing voice engineer for ten years now and as long as you put your head into it, there isn't much you can't accomplish in IT. I can't speak for the other desk jobs out there, but for IT, it's lucrative yet there is always a position open.

If you wanted to get into IT, I can be a resource for learning, I always prefer to help my fellow veterans out when I can.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Is that what youre going to college for? I know youve been studying for a long time. Or is this just an in the meantime thing?

Yep, going to UH, majoring in Supply Chain Management. Took so long in college because I can't ever make up my mind.

SCM covers everything from logistics, procurement, data analysis, and process improvement/lean six sigma.

Many oil/gas/energy companies hire from UH, but I'm more interested in the aerospace/defense industry, not that I wouldn't like to work in oil and gas.

Currently it's a very competitive major due to the introductory class teacher pitching it way too well and as a result drawing in too many students, but I'd say it's worth it still. The introductory teacher who helped develop the course (along with Halliburton) is now focusing on the upper level courses and a shitty teacher will now teach the intro class to curb students from overflowing the major, hopefully.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Remember the old saying, those who can't play, coach.

Looking at your most recent work experience, there are office jobs bidding jobs, ordering materials, etc. There are manufacturer rep positions, inside sales positions at distributors working the counter, outside sales positions calling on your former bosses, quality control inspectors at some firms which might still give you some outdoor life. Superintendent jobs for GC's where you actually don't need to know how to do anything other than call all the subs and say why aren't you here?

Since you didn't mention salary requirements, you could also flip burgers at Micky D's.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Thats easy as pie. But easy as pie usually equals low pay. Are you in this field?
    Yes but not in the field. I'm the guy who needs field techs to be remote hands... As a newbie you might be making $25/hr but depending on your skills and the type of jobs you can take you could see $40/hr or even more.

As a Unified Communications / Voice engineer...
    Where the heck is there a NOC in Salado? :laughing:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    There are a few in temple and killeen as well as Austin. I was just trying to offer some help if he wanted some. I wouldn't ever work a NOC shift personally, but then again that is an entry level position that offers decent pay for a tier 1 position and if you are new to the field, you can learn a lot from the engineers there.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Facebook broke ground on a massive data center on 100acres in north Fort Worth this week. Multiple buildings.

I believe estimates said they'd need about 11k employees to run it but can't find the source.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Facebook broke ground on a massive data center on 100acres in north Fort Worth this week. Multiple buildings.

I believe estimates said they'd need about 11k employees to run it but can't find the source.
    Theres a "secret" massive google server co-op thats maintained for DoD in some random podunk town on the west coast. Google security patrols the entire town. I ran across it when i was traveling but dont remember what state. I googled it later and came across some articles about it. It was either idaho, oregon or washington.

Edit:found it. It was in, the dalles, oregon. Cant find the article though about em being tied to DoD. Will google more. But it was definately weird as hell fueling up and seeing multiple google security trucks driving around patrolling nowhere near a google facility. Near being within 200m of a posted building.

Is this another one of those?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Ahhh ok. I wonder what kinda people theyd need long term.

Not sure about what they would need but, one news show said 40 people, the other said 400. Last one was a typo,, I'm sure.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Become a process operator. Good mix of both desk and outside

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Good $, relatively easy job and Bennys

Shift work, higher chance of being blown up, or dead from chemicals

Much higher rate of cancer then a typ desk jockey

I'm an electrical designer, I design the elec systems for those plants, sit at my desk and make a very fair living, using Autocad/Microstation or 3d software

Wife says it's boring and I agree, I make more then her and she's a 2 degreed nurse.

I go in Crack of dawn 0530 leave the office at 1500, pick up kids, home by 1600

Downside been laid off 3 times in 9 yrs and get fat sitting all day staring at my monitors

Last edited:
    Top Bottom