• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    Up to 300 yds out at Adrenalin Proving Grounds....

Office Address: 2131 Highway 380
    Greenville, Texas
    Range Address: CR 2146
    Greenville, Texas
    GPS: N33.07.900, W96.10.955
    Phone: 888-524-4108

bci21984

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    mckinney
    Tom Bean (Ralphs Range)
    Phone: 903-546-6524
    Address: FM902 and Joe Bob Road, Tom Bean, TX
    Hours: Any Reasonable Time
    Fees: $3/Hour
    Highlights: Basically an open range with a 12 foot high 50 foot long berm. Has target stands for 1x2x8 posts (you bring 1x2x8 posts to tack targets to), Anything legal is allowed (speed shooting, holster draws, FMJ, AP, Tracer, Title I/II, .50 BMG, tannerite). ~120 yds max range. Bench/seated/standing/prone all allowed.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Been shooting at Elm Fork's tactical bay. 30 yards is further than I can see anyway. So it works for me.
    That being said, Ralph's Range in Tom Bean TX sounds interesting.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    With the possible exception of an indoor range (which might ban any rifles), I don't see any logic whatsoever in banning FMJ. That has absolutely nothing to do with stopping the bullet.

Are you sure that the ammo you have isn't armor piercing (black tips)?

Drs2288

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    DFW Range sounds like a good place to shoot, I have heard alot of good things about them, But 16.99 to shoot is alot If you cant pay the $165 for a year membership. regardless from their website looks like a real nice place.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    With the possible exception of an indoor range (which might ban any rifles), I don't see any logic whatsoever in banning FMJ. That has absolutely nothing to do with stopping the bullet.

Are you sure that the ammo you have isn't armor piercing (black tips)?

I'm not questioning the logic. Lotsa places have signs that say NO FMJ rifle ammo. They're not looking at my ammo. They're posting up a sign. Someone must think there's a difference between FMJ and HP.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Not questioning the logic??

ALWAYS question the logic!

Next time one of you guys in up in the DFW area go to a range with such a sign, PLEASE ask them why and report the answer back here.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Tom Bean (Ralphs Range)
    Phone: 903-546-6524
    Address: FM902 and Joe Bob Road, Tom Bean, TX
    Hours: Any Reasonable Time
    Fees: $3/Hour
    Highlights: Basically an open range with a 12 foot high 50 foot long berm. Has target stands for 1x2x8 posts (you bring 1x2x8 posts to tack targets to), Anything legal is allowed (speed shooting, holster draws, FMJ, AP, Tracer, Title I/II, .50 BMG, tannerite). ~120 yds max range. Bench/seated/standing/prone all allowed.

Since that was posted........no tracers and no steel. Small tannerite charges only. It scares the folks at the bank.

Also park on the gravel lot or by the cell tower......do not drive your vehicle on the range, especially down by the berm. The ground is very soft and wet there and Ralph doesn't want the range rutted up. You will more than likely have to take your own target stands. They seem to get shot up on a regular basis.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Drove by there today and the range is closed for now. People would not stop driving on the range and shooting steel plates. They were laying the steel on the berm and they had some complaints about ricochets. That and just general asshattery the owner has closed the range for now and may or may not re-open.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think the close in ranges prohibit FMJ is because of ricochets, more so than berm penetration. Those berms are full of lead and copper, and FMJ have a better chance of dancing off. Ranges like Adrenalin Proving Grounds or TacPro in Mingus are way out in the boonies, and that's not as much of an issue even if a round gets out, after penetrating the berm and then ricocheting, it's not going far enough to endanger anything. And the indoor ranges have lots of baffles and things to stop that sort of thing.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    Alphine bans FMJ and claims that it will penetrate the steel plate past the berm.

I find it odd because 1/2 the ammo I shoot is hollow point steel core rounds from eastern block countries. Cheep stuff when I am not reloading. Seems it would do a better job of penetrating than the FMJ stuff.

SeanR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Denton
    Understand about the FMJ, but how about metal cased ammo? Such as the Rem MC .223. Are the ranges going to just assume its FMJ?

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Drove by there today and the range is closed for now. People would not stop driving on the range and shooting steel plates. They were laying the steel on the berm and they had some complaints about ricochets. That and just general asshattery the owner has closed the range for now and may or may not re-open.

Yep. I went out there today and saw the sign. Called him and had a little talk about the bullshittery that has gone down.
    He told me it would be a good four or more months for him to update the place. Clean the berm, fix it up and if he feels like it, open it back up. Till then.. Im SOL as far as rifle shooting goes. :(

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I think the close in ranges prohibit FMJ is because of ricochets, more so than berm penetration. Those berms are full of lead and copper, and FMJ have a better chance of dancing off. Ranges like Adrenalin Proving Grounds or TacPro in Mingus are way out in the boonies, and that's not as much of an issue even if a round gets out, after penetrating the berm and then ricocheting, it's not going far enough to endanger anything. And the indoor ranges have lots of baffles and things to stop that sort of thing.

Navy this is exactly what I was told by Elm Fork.
    There is to great a chance of a ricochets with the shot gun range so close.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom