Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I have a machine you can have. 16760702110908545200080255550860.jpg

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    depending on your insurance/medicare I would ask about the anytime meters you dont have to deal with your Prick but you do have to have a small plastic device stuck on your belly and it sends your glucose reading to your phone anytime

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    Keep the stuff for the finger sticks around if you go with a continual glucose monitor (CGM). I used the abbot labs version for a while and even taking into account the additional lag for glucose to go from digestion absorbtion to the fluid between cells (which the CGMs measure, not actual blood glucose), the accuracy compared to the finger sticks was AWFULL!!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    If you end up with the prick finger/test strips kind instead of the anytime meter, pay attention to cost of the test strips. The meter is a one time buy, but it’s the strips that you are constantly buying that cost the most dinero.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey Axxe Mann,

This is the one I use...

1676127916329.png

Have found (done the "double sticks" to so determine) that:

If I take my morning heart meds? Glucose goes up ten points.

If I ride my pedal bike? Goes down 25 points...

Am only "jabbing" in the morning....seems the rest of the day? My numbers are below 130..

Also? Have found .....DO NOT! have a midnight snack!

Cukes, Green Beans, Green Peas are all natural "helps" to glucose levels....

(food! eats salads) LOL!

Am not an "authority" (or even know much)...both my Aunt (who is doing worse, please PRAY for Aunt Sally, and Cousin Margaret, who is in the last stages of her battle with cancer) and my Sister In Law use the RELI ON "sugar checker" gizmo...

In fact? My Aunt Sally brought me down one, when I was first diagnosed with Type II, and showed me how to use it.

Not sure? But? Here in Pa...there are some "programs" to help with the cost of this stuff....

Don't no one go gittin' on they fool "high horse"! Folk pay into the blame system. If? Help is there? TAKE IT! (I think Medicare may even pick up some of the tab? Ask yer Dr.)

And one final bit......according to my Dr.? IFITTASTESGOOD? SPITITOUT!RIGHTNOW!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Hey Axxe Mann,

This is the one I use...

View attachment 371873

Have found (done the "double sticks" to so determine) that:

If I take my morning heart meds? Glucose goes up ten points.

If I ride my pedal bike? Goes down 25 points...

Am only "jabbing" in the morning....seems the rest of the day? My numbers are below 130..

Also? Have found .....DO NOT! have a midnight snack!

Cukes, Green Beans, Green Peas are all natural "helps" to glucose levels....

(food! eats salads) LOL!

Am not an "authority" (or even know much)...both my Aunt (who is doing worse, please PRAY for Aunt Sally, and Cousin Margaret, who is in the last stages of her battle with cancer) and my Sister In Law use the RELI ON "sugar checker" gizmo...

In fact? My Aunt Sally brought me down one, when I was first diagnosed with Type II, and showed me how to use it.

Not sure? But? Here in Pa...there are some "programs" to help with the cost of this stuff....

Don't no one go gittin' on they fool "high horse"! Folk pay into the blame system. If? Help is there? TAKE IT! (I think Medicare may even pick up some of the tab? Ask yer Dr.)

And one final bit......according to my Dr.? IFITTASTESGOOD? SPITITOUT!RIGHTNOW!
    PRAYERS FOR AUNT SALLY AND COUSIN MARGRET!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thank you kindly....

Did I say...........I detest cancer...

Aunt Sally has survived Cancer twice....(buried two sons from it, one was an Electrician and got the PCB kind)...

Cousin Margaret has several types...and is going down fast...the meds are drivin' her loopy....

1676128987107.png

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thank you kindly....

Did I say...........I detest cancer...

Aunt Sally has survived Cancer twice....(buried two sons from it, one was an Electrician and got the PCB kind)...

Cousin Margaret has several types...and is going down fast...the meds are drivin' her loopy....

View attachment 371876
    I WOULDN'T WISH CANCER ON MY WORST ENEMY!

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    I have been diabetic for over 20 years, and have kept tight control for all that time. Like you, I was not enamored with finger sticks at first, and used a FreeStyle meter that allows alternate site testing and at the time the smallest blood sample. I tested on my forearm, and you don't feel the stick at all. There are probably several meters that allow that now, Freestyle was the first I saw.
    However, the test strips were expensive, and many insurance companies pharmacies have specific meters and deals. I have not paid for a meter since that first one, they will send you one for free as they make their money on the strips. If you get your doc to write a prescription for the strips, they are significantly cheaper (in fact free under my medicare advantage plan).
    I started the finger sticks about 15 years ago, as that is more accurate than alternate site testing, and I was tired of paying the premium and just went with what the mail order pharmacies were pushing. Pricking the side of your finger is not that big a deal anymore, using an ultra fine lancet (33 gauge).
    I encourage you to learn as much as possible about diabetes, as there really is no such thing as pre-diabetes, but being caught so early generally means you may be able to control it with just diet. I take oral meds, but understand that it is a progressive disease and I may eventually end up taking insulin like my father did, but keeping tight control certainly reduces all the risks.
    I have to watch what I eat, but it's not that big a deal once you get a little experience.
    I know little about CGM, as I don't qualify for one under my plans, and they seem pricey.
    I have a brand new One Touch Verio meter that was sent to me as an extra, and would be happy to give it to you if that is of any help....but as I said meters are not the expense..

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    @Axxe55

I use the Freestyle Libre 2, furnished by the VA. The sensor goes on the back of the arm. When you install a new sensor, you have to do the finger prick for the first 4 or so readings, It may help calibrate the sensor, I don't really know but the sensor always reads high for me. Change sensors every 2 weeks. Takes an hour to start up.

Since using this I have been better able to control my sugar. My A1C at my last blood draw was 6.0 and the cut my insulin dosages quite a bit. should be around high sixes or low sevens now. There is a chart from the American Diabetes Assoc. that also has a converter from blood sugar to A1C. I have a link on my phone.

By the way for the phone to work with the sensor, it must be capable of "near field communication." I had to get a newer phone because I didn't want a separate reader unit to carry.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    By the way for the phone to work with the sensor, it must be capable of "near field communication." I had to get a newer phone because I didn't want a separate reader unit to carry.
    ↑^^↑^↑^^^

This!

The dedicated readers are crude, expensive things. If your phone doesn't have a near field antenna, this is definitely a solid reason to get a new one.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The sensors are not as accurate as blood sticks because they read off some other fluid. You still have to stick but only for the first few readings on a new sensor. I installed a new sensor this morning at 9:34 and it was ready to read at 10:34. Initial reading was 93, blood stick reading was 68. I will read again at 1:30 or so and see how that compares to a blood stick. They will never agree but will get closer.

Top Bottom