• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Broke down north of Briggs, I drove up that last hill and everything just died. 99' dodge 2500. It cracks good but thats it. Im thinking fuel issue. The fuel filter has plenty of fuel in it. Im thinking its that dang blasted lift pump. I havent replaced it since Ive owned it, but I know they are 1000 plus.. That takes care of me for a long long time. :(
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That '99 is a strange animal. Dodge tried a new system for fuel delivery in '99 and changed back after that model. That year is a real bear. We just went through fuel delivery problems with my buddies '99 Cummins.

What I know is that you have to be careful when replacing the lift pump and the injector pump. You can burn them up if they aren't primed properly. My buddy replaced the injector pump and didn't know there was a lift pump also. He burned up one of them trying to fix it himself. Also, I believe there is a computer on the injector pump that has to be flashed to match your truck. That particular year is a pain.

Anyways, my brother in Cedar Park ended up fixing it about a month ago. My cousin has a shop over there. They have all the computers and diagnostic tools to find out exactly what needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

Give me a shout if you want their information.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I'm home now. My uncle drove and waited with me till the wrecker came. No codes btw. But defiantly not getting fuel. It cranks but that's it

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I know steve Allen at diesel tech and or Ronnie that works for Hamilton diesel. Main thing is I want to know how to replace that pump. Whos your cousin?
    Actually that rock blade you gave me might have hurt it. Jk :)

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    '05 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins.

28K miles, two new batteries this month, and no other issues.

What surprises should I look for?

Be well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Be well.
    The Cummins is a good engine. Keep up the maintenance and you should be fine. Just the '99 is an odd duck, and just because of the fuel delivery system. Anything older or newer are pretty straight forward.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Be well.

Check the wiring harness for the fan clutch. Make sure it is still held out of the way by the steel tubing that is used. If it gives any the fan will impact the wiring and send chunks through the radiator. Ask me how I know lol.
    Start saving your money to do away with the dual mass flywheel if it's a standard.
    Buy a 150 airdog with the water separator ASAP.
    If you don't see big rigs buying fuel there don't buy it.

One last thing, start looking for a real truck to put that sweet drivetrain into. Just kidding lol.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I do think I want a airdog pump vs. factory. Ive been told its way better than OME. But, the problem is, I cant do anything for 4 months. I dont need it till then. Some how I either need it at the house or somewhere safe.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I have a '99 Dodge Diesel. A few months ago it failed to start. My son discovered the problem was the Injector pump. Shopping around we found a rebuilt pump in Abilene, 90 miles away. That pump is rebuilt with steel rather than aluminum is one part inside and should last..The pump was $1295 exchange and much less expensive than what we priced locally...The truck runs great, uses no oil and has 150,000 miles on the odometer, not to mention the fuel economy of 21-23 mpg.. A Happy Owner !

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    dang ol commie injector pump.. Yeah thats sounds bout right. My problem is if thats what it is. I dont need it right now and funds are hard to come by right now. Im off on monday but, back to work tuesday. But I could possibly get off at 3.

Marblecrusher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    North Texas
    Any results in getting anything fixed? Im a big cummins nut and am pretty knowledgeable with the 98.5-02 24v's. The fuel systems are the same from 98.5-02 and have a very common problem of a failed lift pump with out you knowing it until the injection pump eventually goes out from trying to do the job of the failed lift pump. Anyone who owns a 98.5-02 cummins the first mod that should be done is a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure to the injection pump, you can tell if there is a clogged filter or a non-working lift pump then as well. You want NO LESS than 10 psi even at WOT throttle. For example my 02 runs about 15-16psi at idle and around 12-13 at WOT throttle with a FASS 95 lift pump. Im also very surprised there were no codes. What kind of scanner was used to check for codes?

-Jordan-

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Any results in getting anything fixed? Im a big cummins nut and am pretty knowledgeable with the 98.5-02 24v's. The fuel systems are the same from 98.5-02 and have a very common problem of a failed lift pump with out you knowing it until the injection pump eventually goes out from trying to do the job of the failed lift pump. Anyone who owns a 98.5-02 cummins the first mod that should be done is a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure to the injection pump, you can tell if there is a clogged filter or a non-working lift pump then as well. You want NO LESS than 10 psi even at WOT throttle. For example my 02 runs about 15-16psi at idle and around 12-13 at WOT throttle with a FASS 95 lift pump. Im also very surprised there were no codes. What kind of scanner was used to check for codes?
    What he said! It's been a while since I slung auto parts but certain late-90s to early 2000s Dodge CTD trucks would routinely eat lift pumps (cheap) followed by injector pumps (NOT cheap). I think Dodge had a recall or TSB or something about fixing the issue, it actually happened under warranty regularly. There were a lot of guys that used their trucks for work and had aftermarket fuel pressure gauges in the cabs and I"ve heard of guys rigging a low-pressure cut-off switch to the fuel solenoid.

Eli

Top Bottom