• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    Just a pic I thought I'd share of my dad and I having some quality father/son time at the range while I was on vacation. My parents live in Canyon Lake, and my dad likes to shoot at Dietz Range occasionally.

Attachments

• R1-03343-018A (Medium).jpg
      R1-03343-018A (Medium).jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 169
    • R1-03343-017A (Medium).jpg
      R1-03343-017A (Medium).jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 194

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    It don't get much better than that ! So, did he put a hurtin on ya? ( i see there's no pics of targets/results/ the ass whoopin layed upon you.....)

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    It's definitly a favorite time of mine when we get to do that together. The hurtin was for sure not from those two rifles we both shot. I was missin paper at 100 yards even after bore-sighting my Marlin 30-30 trying to sight in a scope I've procrastinated in doing. My sighting scope helped a ton though! Even more so, the RSO was more than happy to bring me down to the 25 yard targets and fire one shot. I was in the upper left corner, and he asked to see my rifle to make the adjustments. Three more shots were center and high, so I moved back over to the 100 yard target. I fired one more dead center. I gave him my brass and thanked him alot. He took the pictures of my dad and I. Very cool German! lol

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's definitly a favorite time of mine when we get to do that together. The hurtin was for sure not from those two rifles we both shot. I was missin paper at 100 yards even after bore-sighting my Marlin 30-30 trying to sight in a scope I've procrastinated in doing. My sighting scope helped a ton though! Even more so, the RSO was more than happy to bring me down to the 25 yard targets and fire one shot. I was in the upper left corner, and he asked to see my rifle to make the adjustments. Three more shots were center and high, so I moved back over to the 100 yard target. I fired one more dead center. I gave him my brass and thanked him alot. He took the pictures of my dad and I. Very cool German! lol

That guy is a few pfennig short of a mark but he's pretty funny. I was yelling at him in German the one time I went out there. He's from Bavaria.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i lvoe that place. havent been able to get out there lately though sadly.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've been out there once. I will not be going back. Granted, that day could have been a bad example but I don't care. I have no tolerance for BS, lack of safety, and for business owners not running a tight ship when there is a high likelihood of serious injury or death present.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I've been out there once. I will not be going back. Granted, that day could have been a bad example but I don't care. I have no tolerance for BS, lack of safety, and for business owners not running a tight ship when there is a high likelihood of serious injury or death present.

wow really?

that is nuts. granted i've only seen a couple of people get yelled at, (once was me at my first range trip ever - i was fiddling with a magazine when the range was cold) and the pistol range is no diffrent than LoneStar range. ever so often the RO waltzes through to make sure folks arent testing out their kevlar vests and such. if someone is engaging in unsafe behavior on or behind the firing line, responsible shooters jump their case if the RO isnt rpesent. wimpier responisble shooters will alert the RO. personally i jsut go early and have the pistol range to myself.

i am curious what happened to leave such a sour taste in your mouth. ( i ain't second guessing you jsut really curious.)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Um lets see, one RO for the entire range (pistol and rifle), at least that's how it was that day. RO did not seem to understand safety himself, didn't call out violations such as people being horribly muzzle swept on the line. I had to RO myself on the pistol side because no one was there to do it. Everyone was extremely dangerous and I had to get them all under control and pretty much explain the rules and range commands. RO walked on to our cold range, didn't check if we were cold or hot, loaded his gun pointed perpendicular down the firing line, and proceeded to fire on a cold range. Things go wrong in the blink of an eye. With the size of that place, there should be at least 1 RO on the pistol side and 2 on the rifle side, watching everyone like a hawk.

All that day confirmed for me is the only person I can count on to be safe is myself, and I have to remain vigilant with myself every second of every day to ensure that. It would be nice to have a little help with everyone else once in awhile. In all the events, classes, etc I've been to, all the other people from THIS forum and elsewhere I have shot with, everyone I've been around when handling firearms, I can honestly say there are only about 2-4 other people I can think of that I actually feel comfortable with as far as their competency with safety.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Sig_Fiend - if you want to be watched like a hawk, you should go to Eagle Peak and never leave. Those guys can all go to hell. That's a place I'll not be going back to! Can't practice double taps - NO - gotta be 1 second between shots (according to the RSO). Well, after the warning, I counted - one, one thousand in between my shots and still got yelled at. The guy beside me (didn't know him) even vouched and said I was 1 second apart. Screw those guys - but you could probably sense that I could go on and on about them...

I spend my money and time at Lonestar and Best of the West. If you show you are responsible and safe, they treat you like an adult. The new girl at Lonestar actually tapped me on the shoulder and stopped me for a second. I actually had the range to myself and therefore was practicing double taps with my p226 on multiple targets - transition practice, but no change of location. She gave me the best compliment I've had in about 8 years, so I forgave her the interruption. She told me that shooting across targets was not allowed at this range, but because I was such a good shot I could keep practicing until other shooters showed up b/c she didn't want them to think they could do it too. Awwwww...if I wasn't married with two kids - that girl knows one of the 3 ways to a man's heart!

Anyway, never been to Dietz - heard it was owned by a guy a little off his rocker, but that's it. Best of the West has a 1000yds, so no need to travel all the way down to New Braunfels!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sig_Fiend - if you want to be watched like a hawk, you should go to Eagle Peak and never leave. Those guys can all go to hell. That's a place I'll not be going back to! Can't practice double taps - NO - gotta be 1 second between shots (according to the RSO). Well, after the warning, I counted - one, one thousand in between my shots and still got yelled at. The guy beside me (didn't know him) even vouched and said I was 1 second apart. Screw those guys - but you could probably sense that I could go on and on about them...

The range owner at Eagle Peak practically physically assaulted one of my CHL instructors because they rapid fired as a demo after the shooting qual, after the range owner specifically said it would be okay for them to do so when they asked. The owner was extremely unprofessional and a complete A-hole. I left my range card there. That was the 1st time I went to Eagle Peak and I'll never go back.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Um lets see, one RO for the entire range (pistol and rifle), at least that's how it was that day. RO did not seem to understand safety himself, didn't call out violations such as people being horribly muzzle swept on the line. I had to RO myself on the pistol side because no one was there to do it. Everyone was extremely dangerous and I had to get them all under control and pretty much explain the rules and range commands. RO walked on to our cold range, didn't check if we were cold or hot, loaded his gun pointed perpendicular down the firing line, and proceeded to fire on a cold range. Things go wrong in the blink of an eye. With the size of that place, there should be at least 1 RO on the pistol side and 2 on the rifle side, watching everyone like a hawk.

All that day confirmed for me is the only person I can count on to be safe is myself, and I have to remain vigilant with myself every second of every day to ensure that. It would be nice to have a little help with everyone else once in awhile. In all the events, classes, etc I've been to, all the other people from THIS forum and elsewhere I have shot with, everyone I've been around when handling firearms, I can honestly say there are only about 2-4 other people I can think of that I actually feel comfortable with as far as their competency with safety.

sounds like a very bad day at the range.

i do this everytime im at the pistol range. i dont hae a problem assuming responisbility for my own safety. ofcourse not going to said range is jsut your way of doing this, dont take that the wrong way - what i mean to say is, have i witnessed unsafe behavior? yes. at both the ranges i have been to. do i say something? yes. very loudly.

this is unacceptable. i hope you said something.
    did you?

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    The range owner at Eagle Peak practically physically assaulted one of my CHL instructors because they rapid fired as a demo after the shooting qual, after the range owner specifically said it would be okay for them to do so when they asked. The owner was extremely unprofessional and a complete A-hole. I left my range card there. That was the 1st time I went to Eagle Peak and I'll never go back.

Glad to hear we had similar experiences and 2 less people will be giving that guy money. I can't believe they are still in business with the way they treat customers.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I went to Dietz about 2-3 weeks ago for the first time. I was really impressed. We shot pistols that day. The RO was extremely nice and very loud spoken so everyone could hear. I wished I lived close enough to go more than just when im in town.
    The people in the office were as friendly as I have ever experienced at a range. The RO outside even took the time to make me look like a fool. I told him i think my sights are off on my Glock. He looked and said I can assure you they are not off. He fired five rounds and bulls eye every time. IDK what I am doing diff there, but I fired my brothers Gen4 Glock to my liking. OH well.
    Just thought I would share my exp there too.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I went to Dietz about 2-3 weeks ago for the first time. I was really impressed. We shot pistols that day. The RO was extremely nice and very loud spoken so everyone could hear. I wished I lived close enough to go more than just when im in town.
    The people in the office were as friendly as I have ever experienced at a range. The RO outside even took the time to make me look like a fool. I told him i think my sights are off on my Glock. He looked and said I can assure you they are not off. He fired five rounds and bulls eye every time. IDK what I am doing diff there, but I fired my brothers Gen4 Glock to my liking. OH well.
    Just thought I would share my exp there too.

Yeah, jsut to clear up anyhting said earlier int he thread, they now have a Fulltime RO on the pistol range - not jsut on the rifle range.

one thing im not terribly crazy about is they have started stamping your hand upon entry, but that is no big deal. anyone that had safety concerns about this range needs to go abck and give them another try, this range has really changed. (even though personally i liked it jsut fine the way it was lol)

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Oh and TXdad - dont feel to bad, that guy does nothing all day everyday but shoot glocks and
    stuff.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thanks Wolfwood. I think his name was Mike but I may be wrong. He said he used to shoot professionally in various events. I just gotta practice more. lol

Top Bottom