digital powder scale

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by country_boy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im just starting to reload again after 5 yrs and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase a digital powder scale?
    I have the lee safety scale but, Im more familiar with a RCBS digital scale.

2. I bought a PACT digital scale that works with the automated powder drop. It can be slower the using old school powder drops & scales on cartridges that use higher volumes of powder. Loading my .416 seemed to take for ever. The scale is sensitive to A/C & heat vents which can be a problem. Pact offered up an upgrade at one time for my scale but, I never got around to sending it in.

Best thing IMHO is it's American made In TEXAS!

3. LoneStar41

LoneStar41 New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Mineral Wells, TX.
    Digital Powder Scale...My 2 cents

I’ve owned a number of beam scales over the years, and about fifteen years ago I bought an RCBS digital scale. After about a months use, I wondered why I didn’t buy one sooner. I have more confidence in the accuracy of a digital powder scale. Hope this helps.
    Tim

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have more confidence in a digital scale too, is the RCBS a good brand to go with?

5. LoneStar41

LoneStar41 New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Mineral Wells, TX.
    Digital Scale

I think your decision on which brand to choose, should be based on what features the scale has that meet your needs, and be in a price range you can afford. Going with one that has all the bells and whistles, along with a hefty price tag, is not always the best choice. Been there, done that, wished I didn't.
    Tim

6. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    ok, does it have to be a scale thats from a reloading manufacturer?? or can it be a scale that has a 1/10 grain measuring feature? I see them on ebay all the time.

7. wshbrngr

wshbrngr Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Just be sure what you are buying is measuring grains and not grams...

BIG difference.

8. LoneStar41

LoneStar41 New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Mineral Wells, TX.
    That's a good question. IF the scale is in fact measuring "grains" and not"grams", the scale should be considered. Another thought that comes to mind, is a scale not specifically designed for the purpose at hand, going to meet your needs? If from your research into the scales capabilities, you find it does in fact measure in "grains", has some quality to it, and the price is right, than that should help you in your decision making. It is difficult for me to tell you what you should or should not buy, as the final decision is up to you. Everyone has an opinion, and we know what opinions are like. <grin>
    It reminds me of the number of times I have seen these questions posted, "Should I buy this gun", or "Which reloading dies should I buy?" One individuals preferences may not necessarily be yours. If I were in the market for a digital scale, I would read up on everyone offered by a manufacturer in the reloading industry. Then, I would venture out to just scale makers and compare their product to those from the reloading industry. From that research, you should be able to make a choice that will satisfy you.
    Tim

9. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My PACT scale will measure both grains and grams. You just have to set it to the right measurement when you set it up. It came with check weights, which is nice, but I also have a set of Lyman check weights that I've used to see how accurate it is. It is very, very accurate, much more so than a regular balance beam scale. I've been using this particular one for over ten years.

10. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock