• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im just starting to reload again after 5 yrs and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase a digital powder scale?
    I have the lee safety scale but, Im more familiar with a RCBS digital scale.
    Military Camp

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I bought a PACT digital scale that works with the automated powder drop. It can be slower the using old school powder drops & scales on cartridges that use higher volumes of powder. Loading my .416 seemed to take for ever. The scale is sensitive to A/C & heat vents which can be a problem. Pact offered up an upgrade at one time for my scale but, I never got around to sending it in.

Best thing IMHO is it's American made In TEXAS!

LoneStar41

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Mineral Wells, TX.
    Digital Powder Scale...My 2 cents

I’ve owned a number of beam scales over the years, and about fifteen years ago I bought an RCBS digital scale. After about a months use, I wondered why I didn’t buy one sooner. I have more confidence in the accuracy of a digital powder scale. Hope this helps.
    Tim

LoneStar41

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Mineral Wells, TX.
    Digital Scale

I think your decision on which brand to choose, should be based on what features the scale has that meet your needs, and be in a price range you can afford. Going with one that has all the bells and whistles, along with a hefty price tag, is not always the best choice. Been there, done that, wished I didn't.
    Tim

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    ok, does it have to be a scale thats from a reloading manufacturer?? or can it be a scale that has a 1/10 grain measuring feature? I see them on ebay all the time.

LoneStar41

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Mineral Wells, TX.
    ok, does it have to be a scale thats from a reloading manufacturer?? or can it be a scale that has a 1/10 grain measuring feature? I see them on ebay all the time.

That's a good question. IF the scale is in fact measuring "grains" and not"grams", the scale should be considered. Another thought that comes to mind, is a scale not specifically designed for the purpose at hand, going to meet your needs? If from your research into the scales capabilities, you find it does in fact measure in "grains", has some quality to it, and the price is right, than that should help you in your decision making. It is difficult for me to tell you what you should or should not buy, as the final decision is up to you. Everyone has an opinion, and we know what opinions are like. <grin>
    It reminds me of the number of times I have seen these questions posted, "Should I buy this gun", or "Which reloading dies should I buy?" One individuals preferences may not necessarily be yours. If I were in the market for a digital scale, I would read up on everyone offered by a manufacturer in the reloading industry. Then, I would venture out to just scale makers and compare their product to those from the reloading industry. From that research, you should be able to make a choice that will satisfy you.
    Tim

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My PACT scale will measure both grains and grams. You just have to set it to the right measurement when you set it up. It came with check weights, which is nice, but I also have a set of Lyman check weights that I've used to see how accurate it is. It is very, very accurate, much more so than a regular balance beam scale. I've been using this particular one for over ten years.

FM-793

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    Just picked up a new Lyman 100XP today from Bass Pro in Katy. oh, it's nice. I love the Lee Safety Scale, but man digital is nice.

One word of advice - my dad was a pharmacist, and one thing I learned in his shop was never, ever touch your brass check weight with your bare hands. Our hands have oils, and will leave residue wherever you touch the weight. It'll also corrode and tarnish wherever you touch, which also alters the weight. Granted, it doesn't add a bunch of weight, but we're weighing stuff in grains.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom