• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghorman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    Georgetown, TX
    I currently have a Dillion Super 1050 but I haven't setup it up yet. I'm on the fence about it. I recently got a divorce and I'm thinking about selling it. With ammo prices being kind of low, what would you do?
    Gun Zone Deals

ghorman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    Georgetown, TX
    Right, I have the brass, powder, and bullet; plus I currently have a Lee turret press. So, reloading isn't new to me; just debating the time vs reward thing with reloading.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Prices will eventually increase - that's a given.

The real question is: How much are you willing to pay for commercial off-the-shelf ammo before you decide it's cheaper/easier to find by doing it yourself.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Right, I have the brass, powder, and bullet; plus I currently have a Lee turret press. So, reloading isn't new to me; just debating the time vs reward thing with reloading.

I'm the one that linked you to this forum! :D

All Ghorman is a guy I know locally. Good dude. He posted it up for sale on facebook a few days ago and I directed him here.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    If you are happy with the Lee and it does everything you think you'll ever need, the sell the Dillion.

Edited as Darkpriest667 post came up.

If you are just looking for confirmation from the community that you should sell your gear, then okay "Sell your Dillion"

ghorman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    Georgetown, TX
    I'm the one that linked you to this forum! :D

All Ghorman is a guy I know locally. Good dude. He posted it up for sale on facebook a few days ago and I directed him here.
    Hey man, hopefully I'll see you this weekend. I have to do a brake job on my daughter's truck.
    Just thinking about the reloader. Keep it or sell it?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Hey man, hopefully I'll see you this weekend. I have to do a brake job on my daughter's truck.
    Just thinking about the reloader. Keep it or sell it?

The advice here is super good. These guys are much more experienced than me. If you are happy with the lee there is no reason to keep the dillon and its like 2300 bucks you could have.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wouldn’t call today’s ammo prices low and recognize some components are still hard to come by. Reloading, especially at the volume a 1050 can produce, is it’s own hobby…if it doesn’t interest you, it doesn’t interest you.

But at one point it interested you enough to buy the press….

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I currently have a Dillion Super 1050 but I haven't setup it up yet. I'm on the fence about it. I recently got a divorce and I'm thinking about selling it. With ammo prices being kind of low, what would you do?
    Not sure where you're finding ammo prices low, but I'd keep the reloading press, save brass and store primers and powder. There will likely be a time when it becomes useful. Many reload for reasons other than ammo prices.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Thanks all. I haven't reloaded for a few years. Are primers still the bottle neck? I remember buying 1000 small pistol for like $35
    Last couple times I bought them was about $80-90/1000. Still cheaper to load my own than to buy factory ammo though. They have been the bottleneck but the guy at academy said they are starting to come back in stock more, and they aren’t limiting purchases.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'd sell and here's why:

These are commercial units and not covered by Dillon's great warranty. Not that they generally have issues but it's still worth thinking about.

These are complicated units. You have reloading experience but have you used progressives a lot? This is a big step up from most normal progressive machines.

While they hold their value it won't really earn its keep unless you shoot a lot!

NIB you should get back what you paid for it or more. Not sure on Dillon's current lead time but they were taking forever for a long time.

Caliber conversions are expensive and complicated to install. Not horrible but more involved than other progressive presses. Did you really buy this to load one caliber?

Ultimately my advice is to sell it and get a 750 all decked out or even a couple SDBs for your loading needs if you feel you need a progressive.

I wanted a 1050 for a long time until I got realistic and looked at the numbers. It just didn't make financial sense even though I shot a lot at the time.

ghorman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    Georgetown, TX
    I'd sell and here's why:

These are commercial units and not covered by Dillon's great warranty. Not that they generally have issues but it's still worth thinking about.

These are complicated units. You have reloading experience but have you used progressives a lot? This is a big step up from most normal progressive machines.

While they hold their value it won't really earn its keep unless you shoot a lot!

NIB you should get back what you paid for it or more. Not sure on Dillon's current lead time but they were taking forever for a long time.

Caliber conversions are expensive and complicated to install. Not horrible but more involved than other progressive presses. Did you really buy this to load one caliber?

Ultimately my advice is to sell it and get a 750 all decked out or even a couple SDBs for your loading needs if you feel you need a progressive.

I wanted a 1050 for a long time until I got realistic and looked at the numbers. It just didn't make financial sense even though I shot a lot at the time.
    I’ve also purchase two conversion kits for it. 9mm and 45acp. I have the dies for the 9mm as well.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    Keep it. Keep it all. If you sell it you’ll be kicking yourself later on about how you should never have sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    i sold a 1050 here on this site years ago as i finished loading mucho cartuchos and figured i was set for life. bout 5 years later i was kicking my ass big time. now have an 1100 thats easier to use but still miss the 1050. and have loaded lots and lots on the 1100 i coulda done on the 1050. exactly why i don't sell guns. i hope!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom