• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't know why, but this thought just popped into my mind last night...

I travel a few times a year and on occasion bring a semi-auto pistol with me. I don't do it often because I am a bit nervous about locking it in my checked-in luggage.

However, last night I had an idea, is there anything preventing a person from only putting the frame of a semi-automatic into their checked-in luggage, then carrying the slide and/or barrel with them aboard the aircraft?

Federal law (18 USC § 921(a)(3)(A)(B)) defines a firearm as: "Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will expel a projectile by means of an explosive or is designed or may be readily converted to do so. This includes the frame or receiver of any such weapon..."

So since the frame is the firearm, it seems like it would be a safer way to go, bringing the slide and/or barrel with you on the plane, as just a frame would theoretically be less likely to be stolen than a complete firearm, right?

Please discuss...

Cheers! M2
    DK Firearms

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You're going to get the ire of many an airport screener by putting the barrel and slide in your carry-on luggage. It may seem sensible but those folks have no sense of humor. I would recommend just following the TSA rules and have it checked in a locked case (or whatever the current rules are) without any ammo and you should be fine.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I bought a small, lockable, box with a cable for locking my gun in my vehicle. If I ever fly with my pistol, I will lock it in there. I could run the cable through clothes, handles, and anything else in the luggage to make it more difficult to remove from the suitcase. Plus, the thief wouldn't be able to see exactly what's in the case anyway.

I wouldn't take any part of my gun through security.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    In theory, you could fire a round from just a barrel and something to strike the primer. Seems to me that a barrel alone could be considered a firearm under that law.

Plus, with TSA, you are not dealing with people that have any common sense at all. You will probably get arrested on the spot. Let us know how it all works out for you.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    You might want to read this article about having a firearm in you luggage and how it reduces the chances of the airlines losing it to pretty much zero.

Pack a Gun to Protect Valuables from Airline Theft or Loss - Security - Lifehacker

So when you travel just put your pistol in a hard case with a good lock on it and when you check in tell them you have a weapon to declare, and a special tag is placed on it so it is tracked more thorough

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Not sure exactly where it states that in the law but that's what the TSA's website says.

This is the real deal... TSA has pretty much zero tolerance for firearm "parts" going through a security checkpoint. I've seem US Army guys get turned back because they had items such as Aimpoint optics, M249 carbon scraper tools, and M2 headspace gauges. The scrapers and gauges aren't even firearm parts, but tools specifically associated with firearms.

-Randy

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Couple years back I spoke with a TSA supervisor because I have a small utility tool that I kept in my computer bag. I wanted to know if it was ok to travel. She said yes, as it did not have a blade over 1 inch. But to be on the safe side I should remove the blade. I ground off about 1/2 the blade leaving it at just under 1/2 inch. Made about 12 flights with it no problem. Coming home from Vegas TSA pulled it out and inspected it. Guy said he was unsure as the 1/2 inch blade was serrated. Asked his supervisor, she said she did not know... her words... Then she said.. confiscate it. Was given the option, continue to insist that as they didn't know if it could fly and could not prove to me that it was banned I could spend the day with the local cops, or shut up and get on my plane. Called TSA, Emailed TSA have not received a reply.

So.. My advice, if you have it on your carry on, at some point you will be told it cannot fly. Then you are at their mercy and there is nothing you can do that will not end up with you loosing.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Years ago, I would fly all over the country going to rifle matches. It was sometime during that period that I decided I will check a firearm whenever I can. They would always take me and my baggage to a TSA room where it was screened and sealed, never to be opened again. It usually took about two minutes and for a while, I would be led through an alternate metal detector, not waiting in any lines to get screened. Now they check my bags seperate but I still have to wait in line with everyone else. The real benifit of traveling with firearms is when your flight gets cancelled or delayed for a long period. The airlines wont release your baggage once it's checked, but let them know they are hanging onto baggage with firearms and they will do everything possible to get you on a flight and out of thier responsibility. I've had several flights that were cancelled, one that was estimated to take three days to get me on another plane! Mentioning checked firearms had me on another flight within 30 minutes in every situation.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I just put mine in the case and am done with it. It barely takes up any more of my time.
    Putting parts in your carry on is a good way to get a free body cavity search or your name on the no-fly list.
    No thanks, the way I do it now works well for me.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, while chances may be decreased; they aren't eliminated completely. There was a thread recently on THR about someone who's luggage--which contained his pistol--was temporarily lost. A few others recounted similar stories, and I know I wouldn't want to go through that nightmare!

Also, there were some good points made about how easy it is to steal a bag from the carousel...honestly, all someone would have to say was "Whoops, I thought that was my bag!" and 95% of people wouldn't suspect a thing!

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I don't buy into the airlines doing a better job of tracking your bad because it has a firearm. I took a pistol with me to Michigan last Oct. My bag got lost going both directions. Yes, in each case my gun spent the night somewhere else. So much for the tracking theory.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I've never had a problem flying with guns. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that my obvious long gun case, with three padlocks on it, came out of the carousel with all the other checked bags. And, of course, it was the first bag out and I was in the very back of the plane, so it was circling the baggage claim before I got there, just waiting for someone to take it. I'd rather it go to the baggage claim office and require I present the claim ticket to retrieve it.

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    I would caution anyone not to approach security with anything firearm related, most especially gun parts or pieces. I have a client who attended a funeral in CA with his spouse. A handgun was left in the estate to the son-in-law from TX. Handgun was disassembled and all but frame was sent to FFL in TX (I know, no logical reasoning here but that is what happened). He stuck the frame in his carry-on and proceeded through security. He was fortunate that there were a couple of halfway reasonable TSA security people at work that day. It took almost four hours for them to decide what to do and the municipal police agency had an officer respond and write him a citation. They confiscated the frame and sent him on his way after missing his flight, losing the frame to a handgun that was not replaceable and having to suffer the indignities of being detained and interrogated! It has taken over $20K in attorney fees, fines and associated costs to keep him from having his CHL revoked here in TX. There have been multiple jurisdictions involved and finally a plea deal was worked by an attorney there in CA that does some work for the NRA. Thank goodness for someone that lives there with some common sense to interject in this deal! The charges have finally been dismissed, the fines have been paid, a donation has been made to a local non-profit charity and he is still patiently waiting for the return of the frame that was confiscated. This has been over the course of between 8 and 9 months so far. I would caution you once again about even considering approaching the security checkpoint with anything remotely resembling a handgun or handgun related parts.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I wouldn't carry anything firearm related on a plane, even if doesn't necessarily look firearm related (parts). Pack it, declare it, travel.

The airlines see this on a daily basis, it's not a big deal. Even my mom has checked a pistol when flying. She was nervous at first, but not after realizing how mundane a process it really is to the counter people. Now she thinks nothing of it.

Top Bottom