• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm sure this is a topic beat to death but I've a question regarding ammunition.
    When bulking up on ammo, for whatever scenario you chose initially, what type do y'all recommend having on hand? In other words, I've always been told to carry hollow points for liability reasons. So, if your preferred SHTF scenario removed that liability, does that change the mindset of what ammunition to keep on hand?
    Capitol Armory ad

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    A) what liability does hollow points reduced? B) how?

Ok, so that we don't go off on a tangent, let's forget I said that.

I will answer the question though. A) The risk of over-penetration and/or ricochet B) By design, hollowpoints are considerably less likely to do either.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Cleric beat me to it.

Also, if you're "stocking" ammo for SHTF, you need to realize that you don't have to stock that much. If you're running around getting into gun fights, you're doing something wrong because you're going to get shot eventually, and how are you going to treat that gunshot wound?

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Cleric beat me to it.

Also, if you're "stocking" ammo for SHTF, you need to realize that you don't have to stock that much. If you're running around getting into gun fights, you're doing something wrong because you're going to get shot eventually, and how are you going to treat that gunshot wound?

I get that M, I really do. I'm not talking about 10 cases of anything, I have no plans, or misconceptions, about getting into gunfights in any scenario. However, I am a firm believer in the three B's and am asking the question of my fellow gun aficionados. What type of rounds, for a handgun, would ya'll suggest? FMJ, JHP, etc. etc.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    You can't stock up on too much ammo, as long as you are prepared to bug in. I would stay away from hollow points unless they are for a revolver as the chance for malfunctions does go up. I keep buck shot for my shotgun for SHTF and plenty of ammo for my AK.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I get that M, I really do. I'm not talking about 10 cases of anything, I have no plans, or misconceptions, about getting into gunfights in any scenario. However, I am a firm believer in the three B's and am asking the question of my fellow gun aficionados. What type of rounds, for a handgun, would ya'll suggest? FMJ, JHP, etc. etc.

FMJ for me. Because it can go through more stuff. Also, it's cheaper.

I don't even own 9mm HP even though my 226 is a gun I'd pick up to defend myself... Some police departments (don't remember which) are apparently switching to FMJ, too. The over-penetration thing is such an astronomically small risk from a liability standpoint.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    fmj here. dont really care much for hp ammo. sure ive got some, but fmj is always my first choice. i know it will feed, its cheaper, it sounds sexier and its the name of a popular movie.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    stock whatever you can afford a lot of.

I think this is what it all really boils down to. FMJ is an excellent ammo type but it's going to depend on the situation you think you might find yourself in during a SHTF event. Are you worried about "over penetration?" Do you need stopping/punching power? What are you defending and does it involve your neighbors or if living in an apartment complex, the welfare of other, nearby apartments if you happen to shoot through a home invader?

It ends up with thinking about the situation and what/where you happen to find yourself if/when it happens. No one can be 100% ready but with a little thought, you can make the difference between your (and you family's) survival and protection. That's all that really counts when the excrement contacts the rotating blades......

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You'd do better stocking up on .22lr for SHTF than any other caliber. You're likely to never "need" more than 500 rounds of pistol and rifle combined your whole life, and that's when things are real bad. 22lr on the other hand can be your everyday dinner getter.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I agree, the most important ammon you need, especially if you are like me, bugging in. I live in an area where I won't have to leave. 22's will provide game for food and you can have a lot of that weight wise. Sure I will have plenty for the other firearms but 22's are important. Along with that get youself a good air rifle. I have a couple Beemans I have had for years. They pack a punch and will also put meat on the table and at a reduced noise. It also keeps you in practice while not burning up ammo if you are finally bugged in.
    You'd do better stocking up on .22lr for SHTF than any other caliber. You're likely to never "need" more than 500 rounds of pistol and rifle combined your whole life, and that's when things are real bad. 22lr on the other hand can be your everyday dinner getter.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

I have somewhere in excess of 2000 rounds of .22 WMR
    My goals by election are:

+/- 2000 of .357 & 9mm
    +/- 3000 .22 WMR
    +/- 500 12 gauge
    +/- 1000 30-30 & 45-70

I was just asking the question for some more input on type.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Yes, but you might be able to use ammo to trade for stuff you want...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I want to say I read it on here...
    "If I've got bullets and you've got food, I've got both". Lol

However, that's not my theory. My theory involves "spare" ammunition in common calibers I don't have weaponry for. Also known as "trade goods".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I want to say I read it on here...
    "If I've got bullets and you've got food, I've got both". Lol

However, that's not my theory. My theory involves "spare" ammunition in common calibers I don't have weaponry for. Also known as "trade goods".

Better off trading. They might have more stashed away somewhere. Besides, you don't want a bunch of people showing up with torches and pitchforks...

picasso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Trophy Club
    To those that think this is their plan.....its not a plan. Its a recipe for a quick exit from this world.

Your looking at it from the wrong stand point. If I've got bullets I can hunt ='s I've got food. Well, in a SHTF scenario some would be hunting anyone that didn't have bullets but had food. I would rather try and hunt for food than my fellow man and steal his food. Not good for the soul even in a SHTF scenario.

Although I do imagine that if it turned into a savage world there are few that wouldnt resort to just about anything they could to survive. I'll have to be honest. If I had NO other option I would do whatever I had to make it and protect my family and put food in there mouths even if that meant having to get it from somewhere I normally wouldn't. I believe morals would probably go out the door in a true apocalyptic society. Just my opionion.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Your looking at it from the wrong stand point. If I've got bullets I can hunt ='s I've got food. Well, in a SHTF scenario some would be hunting anyone that didn't have bullets but had food. I would rather try and hunt for food than my fellow man and steal his food. Not good for the soul even in a SHTF scenario.

Although I do imagine that if it turned into a savage world there are few that wouldnt resort to just about anything they could to survive. I'll have to be honest. If I had NO other option I would do whatever I had to make it and protect my family and put food in there mouths even if that meant having to get it from somewhere I normally wouldn't. I believe morals would probably go out the door in a true apocalyptic society. Just my opionion.
    We have had this discussion before. To avoid having to toss your morals, you plan now. There will always be some moral base regardless of the scenario. Afghanistan, Somolia, Cambodia....you name the place, a moral code always develops so that society can function.

Top Bottom