• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Figured you guys would be interested in this stuff as using NV is one of the best ways to put down hogs around here as well as other critters like bunnies and mice.

I first happened upon this wonderful post on the 300BLK forums 300BlkTalk ? View topic - DIY Night Vision for CHEAP!!!!. He got his idea from http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com1/viewforum.php?f=29. Another good source of info is https://www.youtube.com/user/RolaidsBench?feature=watch.

You can build both units that attach to existing scopes (with a multitude of mounting options) as well as standalone options that use privacy masking features on the camera to create your own reticles (which you can do on a scoped version as well to add holdover points and such)

Personally I'm about to pull the plug on a setup that seems will provide EXCELLENT clarity to 150+yds, plenty for most hunting here and about the furthest I'd want to shoot with my 300. Here's a link to the build I came up with that will run me about $250 including an IR torch www.nightvisionforumuk.com ? Login. Goto page 2 near the bottom to see what I'm about to order. Might also eventually pick up a good pellet rifle to throw this on so I can dispatch bunnies and mice in my yard.

Figured you guys would be interested in NV options with as good or better performance than a Gen 2 for WAY less as well as the ability to record with an attached DVR. Probably about the only downside of this is about half the build is coming from overseas (mostly China) so it might be a month+ till I have this setup ready to go, but then that gives me plenty of time to actually go on my first hunting trip for piggies and get a good feel for my 300 BLK.
    Venture Surplus ad

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Ohhh ya I forgot the forum isn't visible till you are registered. Just register and look for the thread started by me, same screen name. Should be on the first page.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hate to say it, but the results don't look too impressive. The first link, the setup needed an IR Surefire to work that poorly at 25 yards?

There's a reason the good stuff costs so much. It's worth it.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Keep in mind he is taking a picture of a digital screen with a digital camera, He is also using lower res camera for his setup that gathers light a little better. , this is about comparable to the quality of picture most people are getting with the setup I will build.

It's all about using the right torch with a good camera more than anything and you can still do this for much cheaper than a gen 2 tube. Just lurk around on the UK site a bit. Most of these people are hunting tiny rats and rabbits with their setups out to 75 yds with their IR torches cut back on power. Some people are getting clear pictures out 300-400yds and enough clarity to shoot targets another hundred or two yards beyond that.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Yeah, I think I'll spend the extra scratch to get at least that kind of distance without needing an illuminator...

By all means if you have the money go for it, but I can't see any real downside to using a torch besides needing to recharge the batteries. If the prey you are after can see the 850nm spectrum then you just bump up to the 940nm with a little bit of illumination loss. Just trying to show people who don't have that kind of scratch how to build very viable night vision setup.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Maybe there's something strange about my circumstance, but I'm a working stiff who hasn't had trouble dropping almost $3K on a decent NV setup... Maybe 'cause I'm single and don't date?

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Maybe there's something strange about my circumstance, but I'm a working stiff who hasn't had trouble dropping almost $3K on a decent NV setup... Maybe 'cause I'm single and don't date?

I know what you mean, that certainly helps things :D Wish I made enough to afford a proper gen2 or gen3 but I don't so I'll gladly settle, plus I love tinkering with electronics anyway so this is worth more to me than just shooting stuff in the dark. If you want you are more than welcome to come up N a bit to check it out once its finished (or if you have a place for me to come slay some hogs I can always come down there).

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Little bit of an update.

I have now gotten in everything but the battery for the setup. Went and bought some AC-DC universal adapters to test everything out. Turns out my camera cam to me non-functioning. Not sure what happened but my guess is something got messed up in the long shipping. Currently trying to get the best resolution to that possible and in the meantime I'm looking at buying a bit pricier cam from a US distributor so that if something happens I don't have to pay more than half the cost of the cam to send it back (trying to finagle the seller into reimbursing shipping but might take a while). So if you are doing this setup, try and source at the very least your camera and your IR light from somewhere besides China. Ended up getting my IR light from a nice bloke in the UK and it works fine and came in much better packing than the cam.

If things ever get resolved on the other camera I will probably build a low zoom spotter cam with it (the monitor I got has two video inputs so all I have to do is find a place to mount the other came on the side of the scope. Will post pics soon of what I have already together on my build, it's looking pretty mall ninja already but should be worth the funny looks once its all done.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Many camcorders (most notably sony) have had a night vision capability that turns off the IR filter for years. I've often wonder how well they might perform with an IR illuminator. Might be able to rig up a headset and use it with a red dot. I think some people have done similar with the toy nightvision stuff that's out there.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Many camcorders (most notably sony) have had a night vision capability that turns off the IR filter for years. I've often wonder how well they might perform with an IR illuminator. Might be able to rig up a headset and use it with a red dot. I think some people have done similar with the toy nightvision stuff that's out there.

Yup there are some people that have gotten halfway decent results with a handicam although a purpose built DIY NV setup is going to get you better resolution and better IR transmittance. As said earlier the key is to get the best IR illuminator you can, which seems to be the T20 or T60.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas

I may be broke as a joke catering to my girlfriend's needs, which in turn limits my range time, but there's no way I could give up the sex. Fuckin' is a part of man needs like eatin', sleepin', shootin' and shittin'.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I may be broke as a joke catering to my girlfriend's needs, which in turn limits my range time, but there's no way I could give up the sex. $#@!in' is a part of man needs like eatin', sleepin', shootin' and shittin'.

Id have to concur. Helps that mine is a good cook and doesnt care about me spending some much time on "gun stuff".

I've been thinking hard about getting an entry level dedicated thermal scope for one of my ARs but I think trying to sift through the BS to figure out whats the best bang for the buck is harder to do than reading an internet forum to figure out if ford or chevy is better.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I may be broke as a joke catering to my girlfriend's needs, which in turn limits my range time, but there's no way I could give up the sex. Fuckin' is a part of man needs like eatin', sleepin', shootin' and shittin'.
    Real women don't need "catering to." Stop dating girls and find yourself a woman. One that doesn't care what you spend your play money on.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Real women don't need "catering to." Stop dating girls and find yourself a woman. One that doesn't care what you spend your play money on.

Thanks for the laugh, friend :laughing: All women cost money. To what degree depends on woman. I've never met a man that wasn't a total deadbeat that got by on not spending a dime on dating or otherwise for their significant other. I don't do it 'cause I have to. I do it 'cause it's my pleasure.

Right-handed or left? :D

That's a clown question, bro. Ambidextrous.

Top Bottom