• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bghunter10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Houston
    So I'm just getting started out as a hunter. My friend was telling me I should look into game calls when buying my equipment. What do ya'll think of game calls? Are they effective? I don't want to spend money on something if it isn't going to work, hunting equipment is expensive enough!

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I've always had luck with the squirrel chirper for squirrel hunting, and as tx1911 said, the wounded rabbit works wonders for coyotes or any type of predator in the area, i've taken coyotes, fox, bobcats and had occasional curious possum when using a wounded rabbit call.
    For duck hunting, they're required. For deer, i've never seen one used effectively except during rut rattling horns.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    For deer, i've never seen one used effectively except during rut rattling horns.

last season, me and my uncle rattled up a lil spike within 15 yards. he trotted up. stared at us, we stared back, and he hauled ass. it was epic.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    last season, me and my uncle rattled up a lil spike within 15 yards. he trotted up. stared at us, we stared back, and he hauled ass. it was epic.

I would have capped it in the head with my Glock ... that deer could have closed 15 yards in a second and gone ape-shit on me, or at least that's what I would have told the warden.

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    I would have capped it in the head with my Glock ... that deer could have closed 15 yards in a second and gone ape-shit on me, or at least that's what I would have told the warden.

Yo Yo YO!

Somebody gettin all gansta on the white tails.

"Beech done jumped up on me so I busted a cap in the mutha"

bghunter10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks for all your help! I have another related question though. So I saw something on another thread on this site for a game call called The Kernel, does anyone know anything about that? I'm from Houston and I found it at a local Academy, it seemed like a good price compared to other game calls. Any thoughts? I know you say game calls aren't necessary, but if I were going to use one, would corn be a good choice? I sure appreciate your help!

bghunter10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Houston
    So, I decided to go ahead and try the Kernel out. Of all the calls I looked at, I liked that this one had such a good corn sound and could supplement for a feeder. I had a lot of success when my buddy and I went out this weekend. He is an experienced hunter and was also very impressed. I know I haven't been hunting long but I highly recommend this tool.

Top Bottom