Do I need a CHL?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Hutch, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Hutch

Hutch New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Spring
    With Texas law allowing us to carry a gun in our cars, do I really need a CHL? I mean, for the most part, if Im not at home Im in my car.
    Thoughts....

2. GI-John

GI-John Hurry up and wait!! TGT Supporter

Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    prepare

Prepare to be swarmed with nothing but reasons why you "SHOULD" get your CHL and "NOT" just "LEAVE" a gun in the car.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You can be hassled, and/or arrested for having the gun in your car without the CHL. Then you'll have to prove that you were traveling and all of that mess. I don't think the whole Motorists Protection Act has been dealt with ad nauseum in courts to really set down the precedent for a good defense.

I would look to get your CHL for the added benefits and peace of mind.

4. mmay1

mmay1 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Get the CHL then all options are open to you. Do you shop, eat out, use an ATM, etc. When you are not in your house and not in your car, you are vulnerable and unarmed.

5. Hutch

Hutch New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Spring
    Thanks for the feedback. Probably need to go ahead and get it as originally planned. I'm really not comfortable leaving it in the Jeep anyway.

6. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I believe the phrase is, "hurry up and wait" on getting a CHL.

7. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    :happy0001:

8. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The MPA allows you to carry as an unlicensed citizen, but there are some gotchas. Namely, the "not involved in a crime, other than a class C misdemeanor traffic violation." A lady in another instructor's class had a verbal altercation with her ex's new wife. They called the police and she was arrested on a domestic charge AND UCW.

Even though it's the law, many officers are just not completely comfortable with carrying under the MPA. You'll generally get better treatment when you have your CHL.

9. Big_Blue

Big_Blue New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Spring
    I completely agree with the Above, and know having my CHL gives me peace of mind when it comes to carrying, even in my Vehicle. Good luck with taking the Class, and getting your Plastic in a Timely Manner!!

10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I carried for 10+ years under the old laws, with several encounters w/LEO's. Most of 'em were cordial, but there were a few memorable encounters that were close to being detained - and I know V.A.C.S. verbatum regarding defenses to charges of carrying a firearm. The average layman can easily get themselves in trouble in a heartbeat - and to me, it just ain't worth it. Besides - with a CHL there's no more NICS checks and possible delays. Walk in, find the Gun Love of Your Life (GLoYL) an' walk out with it - period.

:smoker:Gun shops will love you, women will swoon, an' the unwashed masses will grovel at yer feet!