Venture Surplus ad

Do texas indoor gun ranges have inspections for ventilation or state requirements etc

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 357reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    fort worth tx
    Do texas indoor gun ranges have inspections for ventilation or state requirements etc. I ask because one range i frequent gets so filled with smoke it hard to see target.
    Gun Zone Deals

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Re: Do texas indoor gun ranges have inspections for ventilation or state requirements

No, or else 59 Gun range would have been out of business a long time ago. Only ventilation there are the bullet holes in the ceiling.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Re: Do texas indoor gun ranges have inspections for ventilation or state requirements

No, or else 59 Gun range would have been out of business a long time ago. Only ventilation there are the bullet holes in the ceiling.

lol, I went there when it was raining one time. It was entertaining.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

Do texas indoor gun ranges have inspections for ventilation or state requirements etc.
    It's amazing how long bad situations are allowed to persist.

I remember in the mid-1970s when Rice University closed their pistol range in the basement of Autry Court. It wasn't because anyone did any environmental testing. It was because a student actually got sick and was diagnosed with high levels of lead in his system. This was a rimfire-only range with about a dozen firing points. How bad did the airborne lead have to get for a student to actually suffer noticeable symptoms from lead poisoning? Pretty darn bad.

Whether Texas requires any testing or not, OSHA requires employee testing (in practical terms. The way I read the regs, if your air quality testing turns out super-duper results, the testing may not be required. As a practical matter, I can't imagine any range operator failing to test employees. You can read the regs here: Medical surveillance guidelines - 1910.1025 App C ) If a range is run correctly, all employees will get (at minimum) an annual blood test to check for elevated lead levels.

If a range is really bad, I imagine those tests would cause the problems to surface. If an employee loses 20 IQ points to lead exposure because the ventilation is garbage, they've got a worker's compensation claim and the range owner has one horrifically expensive problem.

So, I'd say 4 things about the original question:

1. I don't think so. I've looked and can't find anything. IANAL, though, so if you *really* need to know, you should ask one.
    2. It shouldn't be a problem since no insurance company should be stupid enough to sell worker's comp insurance to any indoor shooting range that doesn't do a good job with this.
    3. It shouldn't be a problem since the blood work on the employees will eventually show problems that will then either get fixed or the range goes out of business.
    4. Any indoor range operating without worker's comp insurance, without testing employees for lead, and without adequate attention to design and maintenance so as to prevent these problems does not deserve to stay in business.

The NSSF has a bunch of useful info on this in their digital library at NSSF | Shooting Ranges

A good paper to start with is http://www.nssf.org/ranges/rangeresources/library/NSRS/09TechnicalTrackIndoor/MngAirQuality.pdf

The only thing I found from the State of Texas has to do with hazardous waste disposal. They do have some regulations that apply to shooting ranges. If you're really curious about all this, you could contact them. They wouldn't be the right people, but they'd probably know the right people to talk to. Contact info is here: Questions About The Industrial and Hazardous Waste Registration and Reporting Program? - Texas Commission on Environmental Quality - www.tceq.texas.gov

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

You are spot on about OSHA. That said, I know several ranges that never test employees.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

I know several ranges that never test employees.
    That's idiotic. I don't doubt your word. Not at all. There are lots of incredibly stupid people in the world with enough money to start a shooting range.

I just can't imagine someone that dumb being sharp enough to run a range well enough to stay in business.

I shoot at indoor ranges enough that I have my internist check *me* for lead levels. For a range owner to neglect this just boggles the mind.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

That's idiotic. I don't doubt your word. Not at all. There are lots of incredibly stupid people in the world with enough money to start a shooting range.

I just can't imagine someone that dumb being sharp enough to run a range well enough to stay in business.

I shoot at indoor ranges enough that I have my internist check *me* for lead levels. For a range owner to neglect this just boggles the mind.

I agree. I never knew about the OSHA requirments until I went to work for a range that is strict in their enforcement rules for employees. They are brand new, have state of the art ventilation and require any employee doing any work "in the range" wear full protective gear. (RSOs have to limit their time actually on the line to pre-determined limits). They blood test regularly, and remove from inside the range duties anyone whose levels reach a level even lower than the OSHA standard. They are given other duties until the level reduces.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas

I suspect that most of your lead exposure comes from contact, not from breathing. That's another reason employees have the potential for high concentrations. Fix something on the range, then grab a sandwich, then (maybe) wash hands.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom