• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    They taught us to ask about gun questions in our "how to take a history" pamplet. Really, in my experience, most doctors won't ask questions like that. (heck the "physical exam" you do varry so much by specialty and personal preference). I do feel that asking about firearms at home is a pertinent question in some circumstances, but really only in psychiatry.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah. I probably would not either. I'm sure there would be some sort of "comment".

I guess it would depend on the context of the question.

To be sure. First time my Doc asked, it was because of my NRA Life cap. Asked how long I'd been a member - told him I was 3rd generation Life member. He laughed, said he was as well - we spent almost an hour talking about shooting!

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    My Doc looks like she could eat a dressed out Hill Country deer in a single setting. I think the closest she has been to a hunt is looking at ESPN2 on Sunday mornings.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Sorry - but INOYFB IMO. If a Dr. asked me or mine that question, he'd be told that in a heartbeat, too. Then again, my Doc an' I go to the same range...

If you were depressed and suicidal, its a pertinent question. Otherwise, I'll agree with you.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Doctors are portrayed as if they were better than the rest of us. Doctors and Dentists have the highest rate of drug abuse of any professions. They need to clean their own houses before they start on mine. I really think they lack a grasp of reality. My Doctor said I needed to lose weight and I told him I would work on that but I was big and always would be. "One of my legs weighs more than you do" pretty well quieted that discussion. I wear a size 54 coat and XXXL gloves. He's a tiny little Pakistani. We agreed that a good goal was to get the gut off of me. That's sufficient.

He also knows that Bonnie & I are competitive rifle shooters and pistol shooters. He would waste his breath trying to disarm our household.

Flash

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    MD's Hypocritical? Never! (look of shock)

Listen, you have to be responsible for your own health and safety. To be frank, you know yourself a lot better than your doctor ever will. MD's come in good, bad, and mediocre, just like everything else.

The amount of information out there on medicine is incredibly huge. A MD has to go through college, 4 years of med school, and 3-6 years of residency, +/- a couple years of fellowship, and to be frank, that MD is only qualified in one small area of medicine. You should use the information your MD tells you, not rely upon it without thinking.

And just cause your Cardiologies looks like he has been going to McDonalds for most of his meals for the last 15 years, doesn't mean he can't help you. Hypocritical? Yep. Oh well. Thats life.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Doctors provide a service. You're the customer. I really think both patients and doctors alike need to be reminded of that. If you don't like the service you're getting from your doctor, tell him why you're leaving and and then find a new one.

Top Bottom