• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    Anybody remember the ‘80s GM vehicles with the key cylinder on the front fender? Used the same key as the door locks and it was GMs answer vehicle security. I mostly remember them on the Caddys, particularly the Eldorado & Seville. My Toronado had one, but it was next to the filler neck behind the rear license plate
    The worst one GM had was on the 63 (maybe other years also) Impala ignition switch. All that was required was to buy one, complete with keys, find an unlocked 63 Impala, reach under the dash and unplug the wiring harness. Plug in your switch and off you go. No tools required.
    Hurley's Gold

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Pushbutton ignition cars are more sophisticated, but basically just as easy to steal. I'll pick on GM again too, but others are vulnerable in the same way. There's an organized ring going around right now stealing full size Chevy and GMC trucks and SUV's, and the only damage is the driver's side door lock cylinder. Total time taken is usually less than 60 seconds. They climb under and unplug the horns and then punch the door lock. Open the truck, pop the hood, and swap the PCM with one they brought. This PCM is married to the keyfob they brought and has the security checks disabled. Close the hood, push the start button and drive away.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Pushbutton ignition cars are more sophisticated, but basically just as easy to steal. I'll pick on GM again too, but others are vulnerable in the same way. There's an organized ring going around right now stealing full size Chevy and GMC trucks and SUV's, and the only damage is the driver's side door lock cylinder. Total time taken is usually less than 60 seconds. They climb under and unplug the horns and then punch the door lock. Open the truck, pop the hood, and swap the PCM with one they brought. This PCM is married to the keyfob they brought and has the security checks disabled. Close the hood, push the start button and drive away.
    Super glue the plugs to the PCM, and that’ll stop ‘em. It would be an issue if the PCM ever goes bad, but odds are it won’t

Top Bottom