Target Sports

Does anyone even buy 16 or 20 gauge any more?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockmeister

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Seems like the only shotguns on the market that move are 12 gauge?

Why was 12 gauge so popular? I always wondered why it won out over the alternatives. Weren't there like 5 or 6 different size guns back in the older days?
    ARJ Defense ad

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    For self defense with shotgun I would definitely choose the 12 gauge simply because it is bigger and more powerful. BUT for sporting use at skeet, clays, and game birds I will continue to prefer and use the 20 gauge as I have for many years. My choice of shotguns is a Grade VI Citori O/U in the Lightning model with interchangeable Briley choke tubes. I just don't need the extra weight and power of the 12 gauge and the 20 handles quicker for me.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    :) I just picked up a benelli nova 20 ga this month.last year I used a win 20 ga on a pheasent hunt in ks.they sure are alot easier to carry walking the fields.

justin81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I think the home defense market moves a lot of 12ga, and maybe that there are more options in ammo, and accessories for the gadget guys.

I thought about buying one for HD so that my wife wouldn't be so intimidated by the shotguns recoil. We ended up shooting one, and I think because it was lighter in weight, the recoil was a more apparent that my old 12ga.

I ended up buying a Mossberg 12ga and added a Knox Spec-Ops and it made a world of difference for her. That thing makes #8 shot feel like a .223. She was even able to handle 3" mag 00 buckshot.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I have a 20ga Sears model 200 that was my first shotgun.It is one of my favorites to shoot.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Seems like the only shotguns on the market that move are 12 gauge?

Why was 12 gauge so popular? I always wondered why it won out over the alternatives. Weren't there like 5 or 6 different size guns back in the older days?

10, 12, 16, 20, and .410 seem to be available commercially, with 10 gauge being the only real oddball that's not easy to find.

Given the shotgun gauges historically available, 12 gauge is fairly middle of the road vs monsters like 4 ga (1.052" ID) and .410 .

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Come to think of it... I think I'd like to have a 4 gauge pistol grip full auto with a 16 inch barrel please!

16 and 20 gauges were popular back in the old days. My grandfather was a fan. I have no idea why... just know that he had them.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    One of the nicest shooting shoguns I ever owned was a 16 gauge Winchester Model 12 with a 26" skeet barrel and Simmons rib. It was great the first day of dove season. Of course, back then, Winchester scaled the receivers so that the 16 was slightly smaller than the 12 gauge version and the 20 gauge was scaled down accordingly, etc. That made them very handy and quick pointing. Just look at the size of the receiver on a Model 42 Winchester, which is basically a Model 12, but in .410 bore. It is even smaller still than the 16 or 20 gauge version.

In short, what killed the 16 gauge was when the mfg decided to use their 12 gauge receivers for the 16 and when the 20 gauge mag came out. The added weight of the new guns, plus the 20 gauge's shot advantage took a toll on the 16.

I still own my first shotgun, which is a AYA Matador in 16 gauge with 28" barrels bored mod and full. It does a credible job on dove and is still a pleasure to shoot. I am tempted to buy a new Remington 870 in 16, but I have two 12 gauges which I shoot more often.

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    One of the nicest shooting shoguns I ever owned was a 16 gauge Winchester Model 12 with a 26" skeet barrel and Simmons rib. It was great the first day of dove season. Of course, back then, Winchester scaled the receivers so that the 16 was slightly smaller than the 12 gauge version and the 20 gauge was scaled down accordingly, etc. That made them very handy and quick pointing. Just look at the size of the receiver on a Model 42 Winchester, which is basically a Model 12, but in .410 bore. It is even smaller still than the 16 or 20 gauge version.

In short, what killed the 16 gauge was when the mfg decided to use their 12 gauge receivers for the 16 and when the 20 gauge mag came out. The added weight of the new guns, plus the 20 gauge's shot advantage took a toll on the 16.

I still own my first shotgun, which is a AYA Matador in 16 gauge with 28" barrels bored mod and full. It does a credible job on dove and is still a pleasure to shoot. I am tempted to buy a new Remington 870 in 16, but I have two 12 gauges which I shoot more often.

I happened upon a 1958 vintage Wingmaster in 16 gauge early last year and hunted with it last season. I shot 1 ounce 2.5 dram loads and couldn't miss with it. One dove I nailed made me walk 69 paces to pick him up(dead before he hit the ground), which is a hell of a shot considering the modified choke and the puny loads. I'm currently considering trading my Stoeger 20 gauge SxS for a Stevens 311 in 16 gauge.

I like the 16 better than my 12's. Buy the Wingmaster, you won't be sorry. :D

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have a 311 that I really like to shoot. It's a 16 that was my Granddad's.

sbb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S/E Texas coast
    20's are my favorite. I shoot dove, quail, waterfowl and pheasant with my 20's. Rizzini Aurum Teutonic is my current favorite followed by Belgian pre 64 Browning Citori. If waterfowling I choose the Silma O/U because I can use it as a crutch, boat paddle, etc. if necessary.

I also own several 12 ga. in O/U and autoloader. However, I got hooked on the 20's on a hunt in Cordoba, Argentina where we shot dove in the morning and waterfowl in the afternoon. 1200 rounds a day will make you glad you used the 20.:D

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yup, we do!

I bought the Winchester Model 1300 Defender in 20 gauge because the recoil was more manageable for my wife. We keep it around primarily for home defense but I have actually shot skeet with it. It points amazingly well.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I have two 20 gauges and two 16 gauges. Best dove guns made, if you ask me.

The only things I seriously use a 12 gauge for are turkeys and waterfowl.

I guess, for HD, 12 is the way to go, but for carrying around the fields for dove...a 12 gauge feels huge and clubby. Give me my old 20 gauge SxS or the Winchester M12 16 gauge and I am happy.

- brickboy240

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom