• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McDaniel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Not a cheap POS. A nice one like a Cannon or Fort Knox. If it holds a little over 20 guns, it would be perfect. Simply reply in this thread or send my a personal message through here. Thanks!

--Gramm
    Capitol Armory ad

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Check out the demo models at Academy Sports.

July of 2010 I made a deal on a big Cannon safe that was sitting on the floor with only a few surface scatches. Asking price was over $1000 but I got it delivered for $700.

Never hurts to ask, and good deals are wherever you find them.

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    I recommend that you call around to your local locksmith shops. A lot of them should have connections with used safe re-sellers. That's how I got mine.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I have a Cannon and I think it is a "cheap POS". Like the Ft Knox, it is not a REAL safe. It is technically a Residential Security Container. Meaning it is built to withstand fire and morons with hand tools for a certain amount of time. Pros or morons with power tools would have no problem opening it quickly. But considering the price I paid...it suits my needs perfectly and I am happy with it. I have 2 shotguns, maybe 6 rifles and about 8 handguns and it is maybe 1/2 full if you arrange things well.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    As far as I know, Fort Knox makes safes that only warrant an RSC rating. I could easily be wrong, so please correct me if I am mistaken. I know my Canon is only an RSC. That means it should morons with simple tools at least 5 minutes to open it. IMO, unless the safe is at least a TL-15, its a POS. Cheap? Well RSCs SHOULD be cheaper than TL15+s making all RSCs cheap POSes IMO. If its not, someone is REALLY wasting money.

In case people are not familiar with the ratings:
    The Safe Source - Safe Ratings

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As with anything else, there's varying degrees of "cheap". The Ft Knox is gonna slow down a LOT of would-be hackers - and as importantly, protect against fire. The alarm will limit their "free time" inside the house - after that, they'll be facin' some cops.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    To be fair, I never said a Ft. Knox is a Cheap POS in my original post. I said the Cannon is. All I said about the Ft Knox is that it is only rated as an RSC. I admitted I may even be wrong about that.

Any RSC is gonna slow down a lot of "would-be hackers" and it should protect against fire.

Decent security is all about the layers. An alarm adds a layer. Having good neighbors adds a layer. Having a dog may add a layer. Having to get through a security door before you can even start on the safe adds a layer. Making the safe hard to find adds a layer. Bolting it to the slab adds a layer. Locating it where it would be impossible to get a long pry bar on it adds a layer. Add enough layers and there is nothing wrong with a POS.

If you have a collection that warrants it, having extra specific insurance might be smart too. Though that doesn't help much with items of sentimental value.

As for safes, part of it is expectations.

My expectations were:
    1) Keep my kids out
    2) Keep their friends out
    3) Keep my wife from knowing what my collection really consists of
    4) Keep opportunity/ smash and grab thieves out.
    5) Provide reasonable fire protection
    6) Provide a place that I can put a small document/media safe for dual fire protection
    7) Be <$1000 Caus I am a cheap bastard.

My Cannon meets all those.

Part of it is being realistic on the value of what you are trying to keep safe. TRN probably has a couple individual guns that are worth more than my whole collection, so for me to buy more than a cheap POS would be dumb...for me. Some people on these boards have unbelievable collections. I really hope they have a lot of layers and insurance. Others I hope aren't even bothering with a safe.

Top Bottom