Does anyone have any info on my Norinco SKS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's a Norinco carbine. It's often mistakenly referred to as a "paratrooper" model, even though the Chinese never issued the SKS to their paratroopers... Straight up commercial rifle.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    It's a Norinco carbine. It's often mistakenly referred to as a "paratrooper" model, even though the Chinese never issued the SKS to their paratroopers... Straight up commercial rifle.

So was this likely surplus then imported and chopped? Are they commonly found with chrome lined barrels?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So was this likely surplus then imported and chopped? Are they commonly found with chrome lined barrels?

Nope, shouldn't be surplus. If it was chopped surplus, the bayonet would probably be gone. Norinco actually produced 16" SKS carbines for the American market.

It was built for the commercial market. I don't know about the chrome barrel, but I think that's common enough with Norinco arms. You'd be able to tell if it was chopped by the chrome at the muzzle, by the way. Typically, chrome will extend out onto the crown to some degree if the barrel was chromed at its current length.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Like M sage said, it's just a carbine length sks. As far as I know, all of their barrels(by Norinco) have always been chrome lined. Usually, the importers mark the left back side of the receiver with their company name and location or point of importation. If you really wanted to know where it was made, you'll have to decode that weird triangle shaped mark. It will tell you which factory it was made in, in China. At a glance yours looks like 26, which is where most of the US imports came from and probably where the chinese produced the highest number of rifles.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Nope, shouldn't be surplus. If it was chopped surplus, the bayonet would probably be gone. Norinco actually produced 16" SKS carbines for the American market.

It was built for the commercial market. I don't know about the chrome barrel, but I think that's common enough with Norinco arms. You'd be able to tell if it was chopped by the chrome at the muzzle, by the way. Typically, chrome will extend out onto the crown to some degree if the barrel was chromed at its current length.

Ok cool, makes sense. THe guy I got it from said the bayo was not on the sks when he acquired it, and the chrome in the barrel sits flush with the inside edge of the crown, it actually looks like it was cut down. It is interesting.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    It looks like the stock is cut for a blade bayonet and you have a spike. The bayonet should rest parallel to the barrel.
    It's most likely a factory Chinese 'para' SKS, it might've had the stock or bayonet changed or had the bayonet added after being imported without one. BATF regulations required no bayonets on late Chinese SKSes but they were usually included in the box and added by the owners.

Eli

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    It looks like the stock is cut for a blade bayonet and you have a spike. The bayonet should rest parallel to the barrel.
    It's most likely a factory Chinese 'para' SKS, it might've had the stock or bayonet changed or had the bayonet added after being imported without one. BATF regulations required no bayonets on late Chinese SKSes but they were usually included in the box and added by the owners.

Ya I didn't figure the bayonet was correct, it doesn't seat even close to flush with the stock, I have had a hard time finding a short blade bayo for it without spending what I did on the gun for it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a couple of Norinco Paratrooper SKS rifles, I'll take some pics this weekend unless you simply Google it to see how the bayonets should fit...

And if I am not mistaken, a standard blade bayonet should fit but to be honest it's been a while since I looked at my rifles!

Cheers! M2

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    It's an early import model. I am trying to remember when I bought mine, I believe it was 88, it is before Clintons AWB because it has the bayonet on it. The early ones are nice as they are all matching numbers.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I have a couple of Norinco Paratrooper SKS rifles, I'll take some pics this weekend unless you simply Google it to see how the bayonets should fit...

And if I am not mistaken, a standard blade bayonet should fit but to be honest it's been a while since I looked at my rifles!

Cheers! M2

I have been googling for a while now and I can't come up with anything definite, there is a ton of info on every sks out there except the paratrooper!

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    It's an early import model. I am trying to remember when I bought mine, I believe it was 88, it is before Clintons AWB because it has the bayonet on it. The early ones are nice as they are all matching numbers.

That must be, all of the numbers match on this I believe, the other parts don't stamp the full serial number anywhere but the receiver, just the last few digits.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Ya I didn't figure the bayonet was correct, it doesn't seat even close to flush with the stock, I have had a hard time finding a short blade bayo for it without spending what I did on the gun for it.
    Probably easier to find a standard spike-cut stock.
    I've never seen a para with a blade, but I have seen para-length bayonets for sale from time to time. Watch Gunbroker.

Eli

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Probably easier to find a standard spike-cut stock.
    I've never seen a para with a blade, but I have seen para-length bayonets for sale from time to time. Watch Gunbroker.

Well, based on everything I have found regarding the length of the spike bayo for the para, this should be the proper bayo for it, however, the stock groove does appear to be too narrow for it which leaves only a blade or that this is not the correct width of the spike bayo just a cut down and modified one. who knows! haha

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Well, based on everything I have found regarding the length of the spike bayo for the para, this should be the proper bayo for it, however, the stock groove does appear to be too narrow for it which leaves only a blade or that this is not the correct width of the spike bayo just a cut down and modified one. who knows! haha
    It is the right bayonet, just not right for that stock. You'll need to either find a short blade bayonet (not easy) or find a spike-cut stock (easier). As ugly as they are, my personal preference is the Chinese red synthetic stock, 'Nam style.
    I was once told the Norinco 1911's were made form train track. The SKS might be too. If so, thats some hard chit.
    I don't know that they're made from train track, but they are the same 5100-series steel as railroad rail. So are Lee 'Classic Cast' reloading presses!

Eli

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    It is the right bayonet, just not right for that stock. You'll need to either find a short blade bayonet (not easy) or find a spike-cut stock (easier). As ugly as they are, my personal preference is the Chinese red synthetic stock, 'Nam style.

Ill do some checking, nothing can ever be easy... haha

Top Bottom