• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Looking for some real time pictures and stories... not "I heard they all suck from a friend of a friend of a friend who heard it online" or "They are all radioactive sucky pieces of ___", etc...

I've heard all the stories like that, but never from anyone actually owning one and I've never seen a picture of one other than their own website.

Mine is on order and I keep hearing horror stories...

I am trying to figure out if they are so terrible why they would have so many orders that they are on a 5 month wait for kits..

I am not going to do anything serious with this like competition or "real hunting' so I am not too worried about it, but I am just trying to get some stories from someone with actual hands on experience and hopefully some pictures...
    Gun Zone Deals

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    You can go to any DFW gun show and look at their merchandise in person.
    I have not bought an upper from them, but I am about to.
    They have a good rep as a price supplier
    The AR snobs might denigrate them, but I think they are fine.

AFpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Sheppard AFB
    I've owned and built many dozens of ARs and have had some experience with Model 1 at the beginning of my adventures with ARs. They typically use Cerro Forge keyhole uppers which are the same upper receivers that Colt uses for most of their ARs-- the difference is how each company finishes the product. You will see slightly more imperfections in the fit and finish typcially in a Model 1 (seen paint streaks and 'drips') but beyond that their upper receivers function just fine in a 'commercial' setting. Their barrels often come from Wilson or ER Shaw, which shoot just fine, but don't have the extra magnetic particle testing or high pressure tests completed on them, etc... but once again, they shoot just fine and you probably won't use the upper in FA applications. Their bolts are typically staked OK, not great, but that is something to check when you receive it, because you don't want a gas key coming lose. AND, just a bit of encouragement-- a friend and I have sighted in an ER Shaw chrome-lined 16" barrel to 600 yards, no kidding, in a paper plate sized groups. On the lower receiver-- doesn't matter as long as you've got a trigger you like. So, overall-- they are NOT mil-spec, but they are fine for an economical commercial grade plinking application.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You can go to any DFW gun show and look at their merchandise in person.
    I have not bought an upper from them, but I am about to.
    They have a good rep as a price supplier
    The AR snobs might denigrate them, but I think they are fine.

Don't know much about the Model 1 but I'm not familiar with the term ".....price supplier." What does that mean? Thanks

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    You will see slightly more imperfections in the fit and finish typcially in a Model 1 (seen paint streaks and 'drips')

Their barrels often come from Wilson or ER Shaw, which shoot just fine, but don't have the extra magnetic particle testing or high pressure tests completed on them, etc...

Their bolts are typically staked OK, not great, but that is something to check when you receive it, because you don't want a gas key coming lose.

AND, just a bit of encouragement-- a friend and I have sighted in an ER Shaw chrome-lined 16" barrel to 600 yards, no kidding, in a paper plate sized groups. On the lower receiver-- doesn't matter as long as you've got a trigger you like.

So, overall-- they are NOT mil-spec, but they are fine for an economical commercial grade plinking application.

I am starting to feel better about my order for the price point... if the finish sucks it gets Cerakoted right away....

it is an ER Shaw Chrome-Lined!!!

Getting Young Chrome NM Bolt/Carrier but will still check the key for sure...

I probably won't be shooting it much at all, but I wanted one so the wait wasn't an issue. While I did order the complete kit a lot of the parts will not be used on this one. I have a RRA lower with lots of DPMS chrome parts, Tubb trigger springs, KNS parts, etc.... on the upper part I will be using DPMS chrome parts also plus a KNS Hooded Duplex front site.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I have one and have put together several guns with Model 1 kits. They sell decent stuff,those that look down to them are just brand grabbers that need to have "Top of the line" brands to show off to their buddies and brag about how much they spent on it.

The 16" heavy barrel that I have now shoots just as good as my 20" bull barreled Rock River Varmiter with my handloads to 300yrds,after that the Rock River will hold tighter groups over the Model 1.

AR15.gif

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I built an XM177 with a Mega lower and a Model 1 Sales kit. The only issue I had was that the gas ports were too small for the 11.5" barrel. They were sized for a 20" barrel and all I had to do was drill them out to the proper size. The rifle functioned flawlessly after that.

18422XM177.jpg

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    :banghead: M4 CHART
    Not everything on that chart is important to people who go into harms way much less hobby shooters. Some of the data points are however very valuable to understand how much value you get when you buy a gun, and some of them are invaluable in understanding why some guns are more likely to run better for longer.

If this gun will truly never be used for anything other than sitting at a bench and firing at paper, then rock on but don't cry when your bolt snaps at the cam hole because no testing was done.

I will probably never fire a round at another human being. But every gun I buy or build is built to be something I wouldn't hesitate to grab in that situation.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    :banghead:
    If this gun will truly never be used for anything other than sitting at a bench and firing at paper, then rock on but don't cry when your bolt snaps at the cam hole because no testing was done.

The bolt and carrier is a Chrome NM from Young, not the standard one... plus I may have the whole inside of the upper receiver micro slicked...

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    The bolt and carrier is a Chrome NM from Young, not the standard one... plus I may have the whole inside of the upper receiver micro slicked...
    Roger that, I think I read M1S and glazed over. If you're replacing the BCG with a quality one like you are, the only things I really suggest doing are staking the castle nut and eventually having your chamber checked to see if it's a true 5.56x45 either by using one of Ned Christiansen's chamber reamers or his chamber gauge, as chances are it's not a true 5.56.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I am now considering canceling this order... I am torn since I have already waited this long, but I am now considering a Bravo Company upper for one of these builds....

hmmm

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I was going to go for a BCM 16" Mid with DD Lite rail upper but then when I added in a charging handle and bolt carrier it was only $300 more to go for a Noveske 16" Stainless upper. That choice was easy.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I am now considering canceling this order... I am torn since I have already waited this long, but I am now considering a Bravo Company upper for one of these builds....

hmmm

Yeah, that looks real nice. I did notice that the LMT was only $80 more, and it comes with your basic handguards. It comes in stock every few weeks. I couldn't tell you the difference (I just got my first A2 DPMS upper for under $400). I might upgrade later on. We'll see.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Yeah, that looks real nice. I did notice that the LMT was only $80 more, and it comes with your basic handguards. It comes in stock every few weeks. I couldn't tell you the difference (I just got my first A2 DPMS upper for under $400). I might upgrade later on. We'll see.

I decided on a rifle length one and have a Hogue Overmolded tube on order for it my carbine one will get a railed front...

I think I am going to get the BCM 20"er and either the BCM 16" or a DPMS A3 Upper Carbine...

This of course depends on me canceling the Model 1 order and getting on the other one.

I can say this for Model 1 so far, my Dad has emailed them twice for an update and both emails have gone unanswered so while I am not sure of the quality of their product I am skeptical of their customer service at this point...

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Go mid length on a 16" rifle. It was designed to for the 16" barrel and is less harsh on the internals of the rifle and you get at a 2" longer sight picture.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My AR has some M1 parts.... receiver and barrel which is a Shaw. I rank them middle of the road, and a good value. Can you find better components? sure, but it's easer to find lessor quality. I've got no problem with any of there stuff.

If I was depending on my AR for daily combat, I might be inclined to buy a Colt, but, I feel pretty good with what I've got. I'ts never failed, and is quite accurate for a carbine.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Go mid length on a 16" rifle. It was designed to for the 16" barrel and is less harsh on the internals of the rifle and you get at a 2" longer sight picture.

Anyone else have opinions on this? for or against? BCM has a mid-;length with a higher quality barrel on it... UGH, DECISIONS!!!

Top Bottom