Texas SOT

Does the government want your retirement account?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If you're sticking with more tangible assets vs just paper you may also consider partial ownership in a small business you know and trust. Or maybe some land that produces enough to at least pay it's taxes each year.

Some things to consider.

Not sure I'd want a giant pile of Gold in my house - strictly from a security perspective.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    This is a stupid question. Of course they government wants our money. They think they're can spend it better than we can. That's what taxes are now, another entity spending your money "wisely". I think this is plausible, but not just 401k or retirement accounts... ANY account could potentially be victimized. Probably not going to happen relatively soon, but soon enough.

Sent From This Tablet They Call A Phone, The G Flex

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

Tin foil hat talk or no, Ole Cowboy, the Libs are discussing various ways to change our current system of saving for retirement because it “exacerbates income and wealth inequalities” in their opinions. One of the new changes they're proposing is a Death Tax of between 50 and 100%!
    Read more here:

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/dems-target-private-retirement-accounts.html

This isn't tin foil hat. These are real discussions that are happening.

I would use only a private investment account that you can transfer and liquidate.

They never pass new rules without telegraphing them. They're not going to throw them up overnight. The problem is that inside a 401k you can't just initiate a wire transfer and pull your funds out. It takes time and paperwork. And inside the investment vehicle you can only pick from options the provider offers you.
    You are missing the point, they do not have to take, they control it and can control it even more, there is no need to take when already control. They are operating covertly, taking it would be overtly, they won't do that due to the outpour of anger across the US. So they just cruise along letting you THINK you have it.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    You are missing the point, they do not have to take, they control it and can control it even more, there is no need to take when already control. They are operating covertly, taking it would be overtly, they won't do that due to the outpour of anger across the US. So they just cruise along letting you THINK you have it.

I think you are right in describing their typical modus operandi. The fear of outright anger and revolt is what usually keeps them in check. But the thing is, the way things are currently going, history says it must eventually come to a catastrophic and violent end.

I think what the others are describing is closer to the beginning of the unraveling of things.

This is why they are after the guns of course and probably the main reason for the militarization of the police.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I think you are right in describing their typical modus operandi. The fear of outright anger and revolt is what usually keeps them in check. But the thing is, the way things are currently going, history says it must eventually come to a catastrophic and violent end.

I think what the others are describing is closer to the beginning of the unraveling of things.

This is why they are after the guns of course and probably the main reason for the militarization of the police.
    concur

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I closed out my 401k but had to leave 30 cents in the account. That 30 cents is now 3 cents. I buried the money in a coffee can. It's much safer there!

Flash

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I don't pay anything in to mine, and I would bail on SS if I could do so without the gov locking down every account I have.

That's the worst investment EVER. No offense to those who's retirements my payments are funding. You most likely paid in too. But I'll be lucky if I see 50 cents on the dollar for what I pay in, I feel it's more likely I'll se nothing after another 30 years of paying in.

Some are worried about 401Ks when our money is already being stolen in this half assed Ponzie scheme.

Want to see exactly where that money is going?

Been passing by a SS office on the way to a job site in SW Houston every morning for the past four weeks. There is a line of 50 or so outside each morning waiting for the doors to open, and you would expect that most of those waiting to get in would be in their mid sixties.

Not the case.

95% of those standing in line are visibly far too young to be drawing SS, are ethnic minorities, and the line includes a dozen young women with children each day.

IOW, your SS dollars, and the ones I paid in for 50+ years, are being used to buy Democrat votes.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Every now and then Liberals float the idea of a "wealth tax." Imagine 10% of your retirement account disappearing every year.
    Already have it - manditory withdrawls from tax-deferred IRAs at age 70.5 are taxed at ordinary income rates up to 39.6%:

Tax RatesSingleHead of HouseholdMarried Filing SeparatelyMarried Filing Jointly / Qualifying Widow or Widower
    Ordinary IncomeLong Term Capital Gains and Qualified DividendsTaxable Income overtoTaxable Income overtoTaxable Income overtoTaxable Income overto
    10%0%$0$9,075$0$12,950$0$9,075$0$18,150
    15%0%9,07536,90012,95049,4009,07536,90018,15073,800
    25%15%36,90089,35049,400127,55036,90074,42573,800148,850
    28%15%89,350186,350127,550206,60074,425113,425148,850226,850
    33%15%186,350405,100206,600405,100113,425202,550226,850405,100
    35%15%405,100406,750405,100432,200202,550228,800405,100457,600
    39.6%20%406,750--432,200--228,800--457,600--

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Why is it a shock to pay taxes on tax deferred accounts when you withdrawal them?
    The shock is when your withdrawls are added to any other ordinary income you have, you frequently end up paying a higher rate than you deferred. Lesson learned, don't overfund tax-deferred accounts and utilize a Roth for excess amounts, if you can.

Edited to add: I use the word overfunded to mean in relation to your retirement needs and not as to what is allowable.

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    The shock is when your withdrawls are added to any other ordinary income you have, you frequently end up paying a higher rate than you deferred. Lesson learned, don't overfund tax-deferred accounts and utilize a Roth for excess amounts, if you can.

Edited to add: I use the word overfunded to mean in relation to your retirement needs and not as to what is allowable.

Absolutely good advice and something to pay attention to early in your working career. Although not retired because I enjoy what I do, will do so as long as possible, and fairly well paid for doing so, I'm therefore taxed at a hefty rate on RMD withdrawals.

That said, better to have it and be taxed, then not have it at all.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    That said, better to have it and be taxed, then not have it at all.
    Right on, brother! It is obvious you can relate to what I was saying.

I started putting money in IRAs the first year they were legal and maxed out all tax deferred contributions, including 401Ks, every year since and find myself in a higher tax bracket in my old age than I expected.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I knew I had some business expenses coming up and I made some business decisions that led to my cashing in my entire IRA and paying zero tax on it. I bought a lot of equipment and other business investments is how I did it. But you really need to be looking down the road and planning to do something like that.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I knew I had some business expenses coming up and I made some business decisions that led to my cashing in my entire IRA and paying zero tax on it. I bought a lot of equipment and other business investments is how I did it. But you really need to be looking down the road and planning to do something like that.

Section 179 is a small business man's friend.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Section 179 is a small business man's friend.
    Did some of that also. For the last 5 years or so, I have been converting some amount of IRA $ to Roth. I can easily estimate my income since I don't work anymore and I only convert as much as i can to stay with a certain tax bracket and will do the same with some portion of my MRW $, if allowed, since I have to pay tax on it anyway.

Top Bottom