• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z0Tex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I have bought 2 cars in the last year from Don Ringler Chevy in Temple. They share the lot with Don Ringler Toyota. The Chevy people there have been nothing but spectacular to deal with. People are friendly, they get things done quickly, and I have never not been given a loaner when/if I needed one. Sounds like the Toyota side has some issues.

The Chevy side only has lube techs working on Saturdays, doing nothing but oil changes and tire service. I would imagine the Toyota side is the same way. I'm not taking up for the Toyota side at all. If the 2 service departments operate the same way, then the Toyota manager on duty SHOULD have told you that all they would do on a Saturday is change the oil and rotate the tires and that the other stuff would have to be done another day.
    Texas SOT

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    The problem is, the truck did go in the bay and did get looked at for an undisclosed amount of time. Monday rolled around and still no update, I had to call them and get the cold shoulder "we don't know" treatment. Here is what should have happened:

1. End of day on Saturday around 13:00 - 13:30: Call customer if not already done and inform him that his truck has not been fixed and diagnosis hasn't been completed as the techs and manager are baffled. While still on the phone, offer the customer a loaner per Toyota warranty rules. The truck must sit for an additional day or longer, the problem has been replicated, and it will take more time. Those are the three things per the Toyota warranty and the Toyota HQ customer service required to get a loaner.

2. Mid day on Monday @ 11:30 - 12:30: Call customer and give another update. Apologizing for either the incompetence of the techs or the fact that it is something they haven't seen before ( it isn't something they have seen yet)

3. An update today by COB 18:00.

An update, the main manager for all service/parts/etc there called me just now apologizing and acknowledging his service desk guy screwed up. Wanted to see what he could do to get it right and I told him a tint job would be nice and he is seeing what he can do to make it better. He had said the service desk guy was swamped all day long but in my opinion, if you know you are in deep, you ask for help. There isn't anything wrong with asking for help if you need it.

So, my door guard will get replaced by them and he told me when I bring in the truck for any maintenance, assuming I use their service department, to get with him personally and he would make sure everything was taken care of. So, at least there is an attempt to right a wrong and known screwup.

I never had a problem at the Chevy side either. I used to take my corvette there. They would get things taken care of and give me a loaner for when I needed the HVAC Head Control Unit replaced under a TSB.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I just fried them on that survey as appropriate. Manager got in contact with me today saying they had no loaner at the current time. Doesn't sound like my problem honestly. You already know there is an issue and Toyota also provides a "Rent a Trac" rental program for when the dealer doesn't have one available. Should just give me a demo model vehicle but that's fine. Round Rock this Saturday and everything will ideally be jelly.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    So the ultimate issue got escalated to the Toyota engineer locally. Apparently, it's a known issue internally that the leaf springs are shit along with the bushings. I'm getting a new leaf spring on the driver side and if they can't get the bushing for the passenger side, I'm getting a new one there too. In addition, the Toyota tech for the last two services (5000, 10000) misaligned the front skid plate and it was rubbing and twisting on the damn front end.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Haven't bought a new vehicle since 1995.......

I too, had horror stories w/stealerships........no more....

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Nothing wrong with new vehicles, I've had many. This is the first of the major headaches. Next vehicle will probably be a Toyota 86 or a Lexus in about 10 years.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    So had I......

Nothing wrong with good used one's either.....

Just a different perspective.......:)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So the ultimate issue got escalated to the Toyota engineer locally. Apparently, it's a known issue internally that the leaf springs are shit along with the bushings. I'm getting a new leaf spring on the driver side and if they can't get the bushing for the passenger side, I'm getting a new one there too. In addition, the Toyota tech for the last two services (5000, 10000) misaligned the front skid plate and it was rubbing and twisting on the damn front end.
    If that's the case, tell them to upgrade you to the TRD pro suspension for free. No sense in getting new crappy suspension parts.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    The VW dealership my wife uses in Georgetown has been nothing but fantastic. The Chevy dealership there where I bought my corvette was nothing but fantastic. The sales department, from experience, is usually where the problems are, not the service department. I usually don't even take my vehicle to the dealer but being a brand new vehicle, I'd be dumb to not use the every 5000 miles service that is free. I'll be taking it back to round rock next time, service department there looked like it was in order.

Don Hewlett? Great guy, great customer.

I have bought 2 cars in the last year from Don Ringler Chevy in Temple. They share the lot with Don Ringler Toyota. The Chevy people there have been nothing but spectacular to deal with. People are friendly, they get things done quickly, and I have never not been given a loaner when/if I needed one. Sounds like the Toyota side has some issues.

The Chevy side only has lube techs working on Saturdays, doing nothing but oil changes and tire service. I would imagine the Toyota side is the same way. I'm not taking up for the Toyota side at all. If the 2 service departments operate the same way, then the Toyota manager on duty SHOULD have told you that all they would do on a Saturday is change the oil and rotate the tires and that the other stuff would have to be done another day.

There's the difference. Chevy side, run by Don Al Ringler (another customer/all-around great guy) is tip-top. The Toyota side, run by Donnie (Jr) — meh.

Top Bottom