• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Doves are my favorite, especially in South Texas.

But last three opener hunts have been awful.

Three years back @ Harlingen, got rained out second day. I had total of 6 doves for 3 hunts, tied for #2 in the big group. Gil was tops w/ 7.

Two years ago, @ ElCampo, I killed the first four doves that came over, four shots, & that was it for the three days.

Last year, near Pflugerville, popped one cap at a high flyer, & missed. For four hunts.

Even my dog tried to abandon me for lack of action.

Undaunted, this September, a group of us are going to Brownsville. I pray Mother Nature doesn’t send us a hurricane to the RGV !

leVieux

DK Firearms

Attachments

• IMG_4215.jpeg
      IMG_4215.jpeg
      308.1 KB · Views: 65
    Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I use to dove hunt every year as a child back home in Mississippi. I started off being the retriever. I would run out there with my red Ryder and popp them in the head if they were still alive. I have not hunted dove or anything since I moved to Texas. Just isn't the same over here. Good luck to all of you who do go.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I use to dove hunt every year as a child back home in Mississippi. I started off being the retriever. I would run out there with my red Ryder and popp them in the head if they were still alive. I have not hunted dove or anything since I moved to Texas. Just isn't the same over here. Good luck to all of you who do go.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I had a honey hole back home that I found riding the dirt bike. Dad rigged me up a gun rack on the handle bars. I should have never shared it with anyone, because word got out. The land owner was my brothers brother in law. I hunted it for a few more years, only because I would operate a harvester when needed.

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    The birds around El Campo have still not recovered from the big freeze. There are a few more around, but probably need a few more years to recover

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The birds around El Campo have still not recovered from the big freeze. There are a few more around, but probably need a few more years to recover
    <>

I’ve been trying for doves around ElCampo. Louise, & Hilje for 45 years; never any success there.

But I’m optimistic. Most times I have to be @ ElCampo for Family reasons, anyway.

leVieux

>

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Coastal Bend dove hunting sucks.
    The season opens too late.
    The doves have come and gone by opening day.
    The resident doves evaporate with any hunting pressure.
    You gotta get up closer to IH-10.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    When I was younger I used to look forward to dove season because it was the first thing to open and there were always plenty of places where I could hunt and shoot a lot of birds. As the years went by I did less and less simply because I stopped eating doves and couldn't find anyone to give my birds to.

The last time I went dove hunting was about 20 years ago when I paid to take my two stepsons on a two day hunt at a cattle ranch in the foothills. They had planted safflower patches around and the boys wanted to hunt one of those but I told them that the stream bed that flowed through the property was a natural flyway and we set up in there. Opening day we were the only ones who were not set up in the fields and it was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. We had 4 hours of non stop shooting until we broke for the ranch provided bbq lunch and then went back and hit them again for another 3 hours. I am too ashamed to say how many birds we got but I will say that we all three were shooting 20 ga. and we went through 12 boxes of shells and none of us were poor shots.

I guess that ended my dove hunting but it was a great way to go out because day two brought us 30 mph winds and was a wash out

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Bac
    Coastal Bend dove hunting sucks.
    The season opens too late.
    The doves have come and gone by opening day.
    The resident doves evaporate with any hunting pressure.
    You gotta get up closer to IH-10.
    Back when I lived in Corpus, we had great dove hunting around Orange Grove, Mathis, down to Falfurrias. We had a lease just South of San Diego in Duval County, which was loaded w/ quail & doves.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Every year for the last 45 years or so, usually in July, my lovely and talented wife, asks me, " So when is dove season this year?". She had been hunting doves with her dad and brothers long before I met her so the question is really, can I go hunting with you opening morning?

Last edited:

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I've invited all my friends to my place to kill everyone of them they see, I hate them as they roost in my shade structures and shit all over my equipment. I hope it to be the best hunting season ever!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Did good in ElCampo many yrs ago, then nothing. Friend in abilene says sunflowers are great this yr. Lots in Palestine but they go elsewhere when the shooting starts.

evictorjr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I hunted around Pflugerville the past couple of years with not much luck. Maybe 3-5 per hunt. Now those places are being developed so not sure where to hunt in that area anymore.

Top Bottom