• ...and so much more!
  • brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    I got a harbor freight one.
    I wouldn't recommend that.

Stay away from harbor freight drill presses. I'm giving mine away and replacing with something decent. I measured the runout of the chuck and it's completely unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Appreciate the input.

Primarily drilling steel and cast iron, up to ~1/4", maybe 3/8". Not doing production, so usage would not be that heavy.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I have a Craftsman Bench Top I bought 3 or 4 years ago. I think its a 12". I have been happy with it. I had a small harbor freight, it was ok, but this definitely has more power and is a tighter unit. It is comparable to what Lowes and Home Depot have.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I would check out Craigslist as well. I have seen some older name brand drill presses going pretty cheap in their classifieds.
    Good suggestion. I am checking a couple out. Will just have to seen how worn they are given their age.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Grizzly had a good reputation for their drill presses. They make about every size there is, from little bench tops to computer controlled monsters. They're made in Taiwan, so they're sorta Chinese, but better quality. I have a bench belt grinder that is an absolute tank. The box it was shipped in was completely destroyed, but the machine was solid. I know quite a few people who use it and they just never break. I only wish it was a lot slower speed.

I've got an old Craftsman bench top drill press that I've used for many years. It's been just about perfect for what I've needed.

I hear good things on the internet tool sites about Wen tools. I think they're very similar to Grizzly. Jet makes decent small units.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Grizzly had a good reputation for their drill presses. They make about every size there is, from little bench tops to computer controlled monsters. They're made in Taiwan, so they're sorta Chinese, but better quality. I have a bench belt grinder that is an absolute tank. The box it was shipped in was completely destroyed, but the machine was solid. I know quite a few people who use it and they just never break. I only wish it was a lot slower speed.

I've got an old Craftsman bench top drill press that I've used for many years. It's been just about perfect for what I've needed.

I hear good things on the internet tool sites about Wen tools. I think they're very similar to Grizzly. Jet makes decent small units.
    Grizzly makes some solid equipment, but usually out of the price range for most home hobbiests. If you can afford it, it has a reputation of being made for the long term.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I got a WEN back in 2017. Would I like to have gotten something USA made? Absolutely. But, for the light duty work I do and the frequency I use it, this one works just fine. Gobs better than a hand drill, has a laser and work light, got plenty power, and didn’t break the bank. Oh, and it’s heavy...
    24AE4EE0-409E-4CAB-973E-632C97084EBE.png

I noticed it went up by 100 bucks since I bought this model.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I avoid harbor freight tools. If I need a tool, I need a better quality tool than I've seen there.

When I used to put up metal buildings we used Chicago electric shop saws. Always failed before the warranty expired so we just went and got a new one, lol.

Also used to stock harbor freight sockets and wrenches on the work truck. They got lost too often to spend money on anything else and worked fine for basic wrenching.

Bought an engine stand there. It managed to home a 350 but would be scary with anything bigger. Used it the one time and it’s been collecting dust ever since. If I come across someone needing to use one I’ll give it too then since it was too cheap to matter anyways.

Harbor freight has its place. I just don’t buy anything there I plan to use more than once or twice when it’s just not worth paying 2-3 times more. Wouldn’t buy anything that needs to have good tolerances though.

Top Bottom