• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    The last time I got a ticket was in 1982 for Improper Passing (County).Before that was 1968 for doing 70 in a 70 on a Triumph Bonneville. Had no idea the speed limit was 60 on a bike.He showed me in his manual though.(DPS)

Last time pulled over was 1999 for the brake lights not working,on a new car(City). She just gave me a verbal,very nice.Kinda hot too.

Then in June 2010 I was traveling on 380 heading west going to Lubbock from Dallas. I use cruise control a lot and set it by the speed my GPS says.I always set it 3 mph over.
    Coming down a hill in Young County I see a DPS way in front of me facing my direction. I get closer and on come the lights.WTF ?
    I was real curious as to why but also kinda happy about it too. I had never had the chance to show my CHL to a cop.He just looked my info over and asked where the gun was.Not interested in seeing it.

I asked why he stopped me.He said I had you clocked at 3 over until half way down the hill and it nudged up to 5 over."Gravity I figure"."Don't worry I am just going to give you a warning". Cool
    About 10 minutes has gone by at this time and not 1 car had gone by going in either direction.I was starting to think he was just getting lonesome or something out here.

Then he told me the real reason for stopping me was he wanted to see my car and talk about it. Turns out he was a car guy like myself.We had a real good time talking cars for awhile.

A few days later I was passing through there again heading east back to Dallas. Going 3 mph over.

He was heading west and we spotted each other. We both waved and honked to each other.
    Texas SOT

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by wakal
    City "Barney Fife" types looking to make some easy money writing tickets, on the other hand
    easy now....my department gives motorists a very generous "cushion" before writing a citation.

Cops that carry more than one bullet excluded by intent

But departments that set up insane speed traps with "officers" that can't wedge themselves behind their steering wheel and have no interest in, well, running background checks or verifying insurance but already have their ticket books filled out with everything but your name and address BEFORE they even waddle up the car. Like...the old geezer that used to set up on the north side of Cross Plains every Sunday afternoon and writes his whole week's quota from ten feet inside the 35mph sign and claims it is a "school zone..." Used to hit a match north of there every month, and he was in the same place every damn Sunday afternoon. You had to roll past him five UNDER or he would wave ya over for your "Cross Plains weekly slush fund you ain't from around here, boy" ticket. He used to hit all the shooters running south until we figured out what he was doing and started dropping to 30 before we hit the corner (from 55) so he wouldn't (usually) write you at "36 in a 35" from his post...ten feet past the first 35 mph sign... :banghead:

A

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Get rid of limits on freeways, ticket anybody that's not within 10 mph of traffic speed.I don't get the focus on speeders, there are way more people dangerously slow than dangerously fast. In a 70 zone, the guy doing 75 is way less dangerous than the moron going 60.

That is a ridiculous conclusion.

To an extent it's not a ridiculous conclusion and makes some practical sense. Out here in La-La Land on the SoCal freeways, like Sage said it becomes dangerous if you don't drive with the flow of traffic, and stretches of freeway like that I call "sink or swim sections." Descending the Cajon Pass at anything less than 70 MPH is dangerous as hell as the flow of traffic is typically 80 MPH. I wouldn't agree with ticketing for not being within 10 or 15 MPH on all freeways, but on some sections it might make sense.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    If the roadway is posted with a minimum speed limit, it is enforceable, and only then. I agreed with what has been said that the speed variances are what cause dangerous conditions. At least the guy driving under the limit doesn't have to make split second decisions like the speed demon does! These "fast and furious" type cars WAAAY out perform the driver's abilities.

The reason I get cautious on the higher speed limited roads is because if a sign says 70mph or 75mph......most drivers are gonna drive five over that! To heck with the smoke, fog, rain, ice, farmer John and his hay wagon or the guy limping down the shoulder on a flat. "The sign says 75 by God and I have the RIGHT!"

Everyone has their horror stories about how the long arm of the law reached out and touched them for "barely doing over the limit".....but we should remember that trooper is not only looking for speeders. He is there for slow folks in the inside (passing) lane, drunks, speed freaks, texting morons, that girl Amber we get alerts on and anyone else that cannot play by the rules. You know, there is not too much else to do on a freeway except drive and glance at the speedometer and if you cannot keep your speed within five of the posted limit, you get to pay the price. (Texas unofficial "OFFICIAL" policy is for the trooper to give 5, take 6,......except in extenuating circumstances). Don't drive 6 or more over and enjoy your trip!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I know plenty of Troopers, they all laugh at the notion of going after someone for 5 over on the interstate. Pretty much doesn't happen despite all the "I got stopped for 3 over" urban legends that are out there.
    Troopers? Sure... its a waste of their time. You've never driven through small towns? Most are fine, but there's always a few out there where the one local cop they have will write you a ticket unless you're going under the limit. I think it happens less in TX, but it's pretty prevalent in other states.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I'd love to see someone get pulled over for driving too slow, but in almost 20 years of driving, I've never seen it once.

Partner, you go to bed too early....... and obviously didn't drive around in my end of Texas, back before I retired! Used to be only drunks and old people drove 20mph below the speed limit. (Cell phone users have now joined their ranks). DUI hunters ride around at night looking for slow drivers and those failing to dim their headlights to oncoming cars.

Daytime "creepers" usually indicate an ailing car, impaired or lost driver, or someone distracted by something they deem more important than driving. Being of the nosy type, I always wanted to find out which it was.....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom