19699877669_b7cfffc9aa_z.jpg
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well so far I'm only getting about one egg a day. Occasionally they skip a day. I guess that's ok since I didn't think they would be laying until September.

I got them a water trough to use as a "pond". At first they were scared witless of it and wouldn't go near it. I finally was able to coax them over to it by splashing in the water with my hand. I picked up one of the more calm ones and sat her in it and that was it... they all wanted in the pool. I made them a little deck and ramp to make it easier for them to get in and out of it, but they don't seem to use it :laughing:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Mo better. How often do you have to clean the trough out?
    I was just scooping a few gallons of dirty water out a day for the plants and refilling with fresh, but it's gotten a bit too stinky now. I'm going to empty the whole thing sometime this week. I might set up some sort of filtration at some point.

Things are definitely getting complicated now :p
    20636438412_75856e7643_c.jpg

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Dan, is this your first time using that incubator? I have the same one, I think, and was less than impressed with the thermostat. I had up to 9* temp difference with the original one. I ordered a programable digital thermostat to replace the original one. I have not used it since the upgrade but the dry run was much more stable than the original thermostat.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yep this is my first try at incubating. The instructions for that incubator say the gauges on the front are for reference only and to use another thermometer to calibrate it. I found the thermostat on mine reads 6° low, but it seems consistent.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I thought the thread was about cooking them...Nevermind..lol
    Oh it is... Just haven't gotten there yet. Once I get some babies hatched, I plan on thinning the herd. The crested one is a kinda an asshole compared to the others, so her days are numbered. Recipes are welcome ;)

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We're getting two eggs a day at the moment. Every other day the wife and I get to have two eggs for breakfast. With the price of eggs going up like it has recently, we're definitely saving money on eggs. It's cheaper to feed the ducks than it is to buy eggs. I need to work on getting it even cheaper to feed them, tho. Thinking of starting a worm colony...

20839116532_27dbb36474_c.jpg

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Three! Three eggs this morning. Ah, Ah, Ah!

20844717646_e48bbd4e8e_c.jpg

The camera didn't pick it up that well, but one has a very green tint to it. That one must be from the cayuga female.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    One thing I learned hatching duck eggs is to keep their shells really moist in the last couple of days, and especially when the first pip shows. The little cup of water in my incubator wasn't enough for the first couple of attempts. Had several late deaths even with 90% plus humidity. Now I squeeze a damp paper towel over them to soften up the shells. Makes it a little easier for them to poke through. Then get ready for the noise.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Nice! Thanks for the tip.

I threw away 6 eggs from the incubator today. Two of them had obliviously gone rotten and the other four just weren't developing. There's a couple other eggs that I suspect aren't developing well but I'll re-candle in a few days and decide then.

AKmik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Wen they quit laying its on!! Bourbon duck.

IMG_2193-vi.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2193-vi.jpg
      IMG_2193-vi.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 237
    Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads