• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I may be picking up a couple of Yugo M68 practice grenades this weekend, the kind that can be shot from their M70 series AKs or 59/66 SKS rifles.

While they don't qualified as "explosive weapons" under Penal Code section 46.01(2), I am curious as to the legal restrictions of firing them as (3) of that same reference defines a "firearm" as "any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use."

Therefore, would the use of a Yugo AK or SKS to launch a dummy grenade using blank ammunition be the same as shooting regular ammo (i.e. could only be done at location where shooting is legally allowed)?

I ask because I see videos of people shooting these things in their back yards or what appear to be high school football fields. I don't have plans to do either, but I don't want to get in trouble for firing one in a vacant field.

My other concern would be if someone in the law enforcement would/could consider these to be "hoax bombs" as defined by 46.01(13) as "a device that: (A) reasonably appears to be an explosive or incendiary device; or
    (B) by its design causes alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or a volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies." To a knowledgeable individual it would be clear that these are just practice devices, but to an uninformed person it could be mistaken as a real grenade!

M68_zpsea991f58.jpg

Thoughts?

Cheers! M2
    Target Sports

DarkwingDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Therefore, would the use of a Yugo AK or SKS to launch a dummy grenade using blank ammunition be the same as shooting regular ammo (i.e. could only be done at location where shooting is legally allowed)?
    IANAL. Would firing a "dummy grenade using blank ammunition" being any different than firing a soda can using blank ammunition? Both are inert, non explosive (Mentos aside) projectiles. Both use blank ammunition to propel a projectile. IANAL but I believe you would be safe in use as described.

... I don't want to get in trouble for firing one in a vacant field.
    However location is more of a concern. A vacant field doesn't mean a field without an owner. Discharging blank ammunition surely falls under SA Sec. 21-152. If this were me, I'd stick to a shooting range in town or a friend's property outside of town limits.

Nonethless that looks like fun!

DWD

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It would most definitely be outside city limits, but you still can't just go shooting anywhere you want. I suspect the restrictions would be the same for launching dummy grenades with blanks as they would for shooting regular ammunition.

Secondly, I am not sure ranges would allow it given that the projectiles fly 100-150m. Maybe I'll just have to ask the next time I go to mine...

Of course, first I have to find some 7.62x39 blanks locally!

Cheers! M2

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I want one!!!

Are there some for sale somewhere???

And yes, as a projectile fired from a firearm powered by gunpowder it could be construed as firing a rifle's live round.
    It IS a rifle firing a round, except for the "through the barrel" clause. It is "from" the barrel.

Weigh that thing and find it's velocity.
    I'm gonna guess it's momentum is likely greater than live 7.62x39 ammo projectiles, if not the kinetic energy too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom