• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    All the testing I've seen regarding resistance to corrosion and abrasion show cerakote as ahead in the game, but I haven't exactly tested it myself. My carry is cerakoted, but all I have to compare it to is the thin parkerizing it had before which showed rust after a month under the slide stop and grips.

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm highly interested in this. I've been looking into Duracoat for cost and ease of use, and have heard nothing but good things.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I'm a huge Cerakote fan. Hard as nails and it's a nice finish. I've had 3 guns done so far and don't plan on using anything else. I'm not knocking Duracoat, just my 2¢.

eddie2501

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Houston Texas
    Ive redone my kimber cause I to many problems with it out of the box when I bought it. After a couple of months carrying it the finish started to come off and fade away I had my mossberg redone with duracoat and was pleased with it. Does any one know where i can get my kimber done with ceracoat

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm interested in getting a couple of my guns ceracoated too. Any advice for a guy in Austin? I'm also willing to go to San Antonio, DFW, Houston, or Corpus, since I have family scattered across the state.

eddie2501

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Houston Texas
    I know grip reductions out in tomball does both dura and cercoat i had him do my mossberg with duracoat. wanted to see if there were other places closer in houston

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    From what I understand, Cerakote is brittle and has issues with chipping off where as Duracoat is more flexible. Suppressor use Cerakote since it is designed for heat but it flakes fast and might be due to the heat.

If the gun is stainless or carbon steel I would look at nitriting/Melonite, the same finish used on Glock slides. There is a company in Houston that does it on barrels but I am not sure if they do frames.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I haven't had any chipping issues with cerakote on my carry gun, just normal wear on high friction surfaces when firing.

eddie2501

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Houston Texas
    I think I'm just gonna go back with the guys at Grip Reductions. They did a really good job with my shotgun but not sure if I want matte black or hk black in duracoat or black ceracoat

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Cerakote's is a much more durable finish it is baked on like GunKote.
    Duracoat is easier to apply, air dried and can be put on softer surfaces.
    I would use Cerakote for the gun itself, YMMV.

eddie2501

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Houston Texas
    Sent my Kimber to Grip Reductions for a new Cerakote face lift and it came out better than i hoped

before
    164096_538444108358_182700258_31192724_8352019_n.jpg

After
    IMAG0165.jpg

9mmlover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Duracoat. got the shake n spray kit in Desert Warrior Dark Earth to do the frame on my Para LTC 9mm and Kahr K40. cures super fast and has been very sturdy over 7 months now.

heres some pics:

100_1283.jpg

100_1284.jpg

100_1270.jpg

100_1271.jpg

100_1263.jpg

Houston G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Houston
    duracoat. we experimented with it up here at the shop recently and it went very well. easy to apply and quick to cure.

we did a ria 1911 and after a week or so of curing i tried to scratch it with my keys with moderate pressure and it held up fine.

Top Bottom