• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Know that some land ( North of Austin for example) does not have usable water even if you drill for it. Some water is so deep it will cost you a fortune to get to it. I have a friend who had to go 2000’ to get to any water ( fortunately, the owner of the land is a multi , multi millionaire.)

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Is it literally "sight unseen"?
    I mean, did you at least see pictures?
    Txdot was generous enough to post two pictures on all of their auctions. I looked at a Ram 2500 cummins they had at a facility in Sugarland and it was a decent truck. Nothing on the lot was in bad shape, but you could tell they were work trucks. All looked to be pretty well maintained so I took a chance, except the one I bought was in El Paso.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    eca213ad4b6b9728a6d6fc2c476ecae9.jpg
    133d472a1fb88b24323174d36fb7605a.jpg

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Good news and bad news. The good news is theres a community water well and a line on the county road adjacent to my property.

The bad news is that the water line stops about a half mile before my property. The water association is supposed to get back with me with an estimate. Thats just to get the meter to the property. Its another 400 yards to get water to the camp site.

Good news. I finally bought a truck.

Bad news. I bought it sight unseen and its a Ford 6.0 diesel thats at a TXDOT lot in El Paso. It might as well be on the moon. Drive out price is 7k for a 2004 3500 dually 4x4. 196k miles. It supposedly runs. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a turd. I'm going to try Uship and see if I can get it shipped to Spring.

When do you need it? Moto down, drive to spring, moto home...

You might look at just a fly and drive... SW flights to El Paso are usually pretty cheap

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Txdot was generous enough to post two pictures on all of their auctions. I looked at a Ram 2500 cummins they had at a facility in Sugarland and it was a decent truck. Nothing on the lot was in bad shape, but you could tell they were work trucks. All looked to be pretty well maintained so I took a chance, except the one I bought was in El Paso.

eca213ad4b6b9728a6d6fc2c476ecae9.jpg
    133d472a1fb88b24323174d36fb7605a.jpg

TxDOT is pretty good about keeping up the maintenance on their vehicles. I don't think it was wrong move buying the truck. I would even venture the care of that vehicle was much better than the average person.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Good news and bad news. The good news is theres a community water well and a line on the county road adjacent to my property.

The bad news is that the water line stops about a half mile before my property. The water association is supposed to get back with me with an estimate. Thats just to get the meter to the property. Its another 400 yards to get water to the camp site.

Good news. I finally bought a truck.

Bad news. I bought it sight unseen and its a Ford 6.0 diesel thats at a TXDOT lot in El Paso. It might as well be on the moon. Drive out price is 7k for a 2004 3500 dually 4x4. 196k miles. It supposedly runs. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a turd. I'm going to try Uship and see if I can get it shipped to Spring.

I don't know how all community water associations are, but ours here, they will at least run their water line to edge of your property line.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I bought my Cummins off eBay. Took SW to Dallas and drove it back to NM. That was 350,000 miles ago. Only have replaced the radiator and have gone thru a transmission.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    When do you need it? Moto down, drive to spring, moto home...

You might look at just a fly and drive... SW flights to El Paso are usually pretty cheap

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    I think a one way flight to El Paso and an uber to the txdot facility is probably the cheapest route. Next week is going to be a busy week because the President of Panama is coming in and we're moving him around all week. I have until the first week of August to pick it up.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

The bad news is that the water line stops about a half mile before my property. The water association is supposed to get back with me with an estimate. Thats just to get the meter to the property. Its another 400 yards to get water to the camp

Look into the cost of rental of a mini excavator or a trencher. I've rented both. The trencher was about $180 a day, the mini x was about $360.

Imo the mini x would be the way to go. Especially if you have some other project you could use it on... like removing some small stumps... about 14" -16" diameter. A mini x with a thumb on the bucket will make life easier if removing stumps.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A small ride-on trencher would do 400 yards in a few hours easily, unless there are lots of really big roots or it's very rocky ground.

It would take a little longer to dig a trench with a small excavator, but if you had other projects it could do as well, that might be a good option as well. A small excavator could be used to dig a hole for the septic tank if you plan on putting one in.

LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    North-Eastern Texas is where I was actually looking.
    Tyler-ish....

Is it that bad in that area?

I was also looking at other wells, and their depth, which averages out to depths lower than mentioned

Last edited:

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    North-Eastern Texas is where I was actually looking.
    Tyler-ish....

Is it that bad in that area?

I was also looking at other wells, and their depth, which averages out to depths lower than mentioned

As far aw the wells, research the Wilcox Sand. It's one of the best aquifers in Texas. There is also a water sand called the Carrizo. That one has iron ore in it and is shallower. In some areas it lies on top of the Wilcox. I've been drinking unfiltered water out of the Wilcox Sand for 64 years. Not all from the same well of course.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    My well in caldwell county is estimated to need to be 640’ for “good” water and 25k to put it in.

On schedule for drilling but driller is back logged 4-6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom