• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Yesterday I got to spend about 30 minutes at the Bullet Trap in Plano checking out the various scary guns they have hanging on their walls. They had several AR15s and even an ACR.

The ACR was a disappointment. Maybe its just my ignorance, but while fondling it I just didnt see the big deal. BT's price was great (cheaper than Bud's) but still over two grand. They also had a SIG556, I forget the exact price but it was at least a grand less than the ACR. It had all the rails and stuff so you can add all the zombie hunting stuff you want. So I think I'm over wanting either the SCAR or ACR. At least until the price gets down to something reasonable.

On the M4 front I'm trying to figure out why I shouldnt just get the DS Star 15 or a DPMS Panther A3? From the little research I've done so far all the lowers come from 4 places. The upper is what changes the most. The DS doesnt have a chrome lined barrel so it will wear faster. However, I doubt I'll be running 1000 rounds a day for a month through it. A big weekend might see 100 shots fired. The A3 has a light barrel which if used abusively (1000 rounds a day) will turn to slag. But again: I'm just some Mall Ninja wanting a EBR to take to the range and learn to shoot accurately.

For my purposes is there really any difference in these?
    Hurley's Gold

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    On Texas gun trader, there's a guy in El Paso I think selling $700 AR-15 carbines. I would give him a call. Based on your described intended use, you only need something that's going to be reliable (go bang when you pull the trigger).

You could also build your own for about the same money. If you do decide to build your own, I wouldn't go crazy buying stuff like fancy trigger groups or match barrels. Get milspec stuff because a) it's less expensive, and b) it's more generic, thus making parts more plentiful and easier to find.

Lastly, if you're buying/building something to plink with, there's no point in putting a quad rail on the rifle for doo-dads. A red dot scope, a forward grip, and maybe a bipod is all you realy need. All that other crap, (tac lights, lasers, bayonets, range finders, and small foreign cars) do nothing for the accuracy of the gun and are pointless for your garden variety civilian shooter, besides weighing the gun down to the point that you couldn't shoot it offhand without someone to hold the barrel up for you.

Keep it light - keep it simple. You'll be much happier.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    ....besides weighing the gun down to the point that you couldn't shoot it offhand without someone to hold the barrel up for you.

Isnt that why we have wives, girlfriends and or kids to bring to the range? They gotta be good for something.

But thanks for the feedback.

I'll look up the guy in El Paso and see what he has on hand. Right now I'm working my tail off redoing the base boards (I gotta be good for something) so the CFO will approve my PO next week. If all goes well I'll have my new toy in time to go get acquainted with next Saturday.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Get a Complete lower reciever shiped to your FFL. They can be had froma number of places for around $250-300+ the $20 transfer fee. You can spend a little more and get a nice trigger, but you don't need one to shoot well.

DPMS AR-15 Sportical Flattop Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 9" Twist 16" Light Contour Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with GlacierGuard Handguard, Single Rail Gas Block, Flash Hider, Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

DPMS AR-15 Flattop Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 9" Twist 16" Bull Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with GlacierGuard Handguard - MidwayUSA

Here is a couple of relatively cheap uppers for $400 plus shipping.

You probably want to buy a set of sights sight, probably $80+. A couple of Pmags at ~$15 a piece.

A decent starting rifle for ~$800-850.

I got the A2 fixed carry handle upper on mine. It is cheaper because you don't have to buy a set of sights. Kind of regret not getting a flat-top, but it works nice. I'm new to iron sights, so its taking some practice to become "deer effective" with it. I've been contemplating switching the upper reciever out. . . . but I think I'll probably just get a Heavy barreled version just for scope eventually.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Take a look at the SW M&P 15. They are around now for $700 after rebate. It might not be configured exactly how you want it and comes without sights, but that's a great price for a good rifle. Ad a FF quad rail and some sights and and maybe an optic you're good to go.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    The M&P15 MOE (slightly modified and with camo applied):

rifle_01.jpg

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Take a look at the SW M&P 15. They are around now for $700 after rebate. It might not be configured exactly how you want it and comes without sights, but that's a great price for a good rifle. Ad a FF quad rail and some sights and and maybe an optic you're good to go.

Rebate? I just ordered one from Bud's and it's due to arrive Tuesday. The web site didn't mention it, so is this a mail-in deal with S&W?

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Rebate? I just ordered one from Bud's and it's due to arrive Tuesday. The web site didn't mention it, so is this a mail-in deal with S&W?

Yeah - it's a S&W rebate and you can choose between $100 or five free magazines. I hope to get my magazines around the first week on next month (from what I hear, it's taking upwards of seven weeks to fulfill the free mag requests). You can google the rebate and get to correct page. From there, you print out and complete the rebate coupon, and snail-mail it to S&W.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    You guys rock!

If I'm not mistaken CD is just down the road from me. Think I have a phone call to make tomorrow. I'd absolutely drive down to Fort Worth to pick that rifle. I'll just wait until 35 unwinds a bit after the morning rush.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    @300LW - wow! Thanks! That is a lot of great information. It will take me a while to digest it all because there is a fair amount that I don't understand.

If I understand correctly the 1:9 twist in the barrel means that using higher grain bullets isn't a good idea. Is that correct? The 45-60 grain bullets I'm buying to kill paper targets will work just fine through a 1:9. If I want to look in to a gig working for BlackWater taking care of "problems" though I might want to get a 1:7 upper. Right?

So anyway, I accidently got in my truck and for some reason my google maps navigator took me to this strange and wonder place in Fort Worth where a very nice gentle behind the counter took some information from me and after a short discussion with agent Molder of the FBI agreed to sell me one of these:

4898965448_9616b067b6_d.jpg

Its the 'optics ready' version of the M&P15 with a set of ARMS flip up sights. I'll look in to a red dot later. I seriously can't wait for next weekend now.

Oh - and stay the heck away from CTD's physical store. I'm really surprised I managed to get out of there without burning through 2 or 3 years of my toy money in one shot. I've never scene so much stuff all in one place (ok - I just started looking, but damn). Great store. The sales guy (Brad) was really patient with me asking all the dumb@ss questions, refreshed me on how to break the weapon down and pick out the sights. Very pleased with CTD. I'll end up getting other stuff from them as the 'need' arises.

300LW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2009
    Brenham
    Tweek, unless you want a precision or piston AR there is no better choice than BCM (www.bravocompanyusa.com). For maximum accuracy take a hard look at Noveske (pricey but the best factory barrels available) and for cool operating and ease of cleaning consider a piston gun. LWRC is far and away the best choice in the piston category (once again, pricey) and are becoming the gun of choice for Federal LE. For most people, though, BCM would be hard to beat for both features and price.

1:9 is fine if all you plan to shoot is 55 gr. or lighter, otherwise 1:7 would serve you better.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    The sales guy (Brad) was really patient with me asking all the dumb questions, refreshed me on how to break the weapon down and pick out the sights. Very pleased with CTD. I'll end up getting other stuff from them as the 'need' arises.

That's good info to have. My M&P is sitting on my desk in pieces because I'm wainting for "stuff" from various sources. I started out with the MOE version, and have so far replaced the stock, flash hider, front sight, and rear sight, and added the enhanced trigger guard, a tactical latch for the charging handle, the Magpul ASAP, and a forward grip. I'm waiting on a CAA pistol grip (should be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

Eventually, I wont to get a mid-length upper and a M16 bolt carrier, and then I'm thinking of painting the whole thing in digital camo.

These things sure are addictive.

Top Bottom