• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wile-e-coyote

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    I remember the last time I went to a restaurant for breakfast and ordered over-medium eggs and was actually served over-medium eggs. It was in a little mom & pop place off of I-20 on the East side of Sulphur Springs. I remember commenting to my dad that I finally got eggs cooked the way I asked for the first time in ages. That was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years ago.

For anyone unfamiliar with egg temps, here's a LINK. I don't consider that page the end-all-be-all of the subject, but when I decided to check myself and see if maybe I wasn't the one that had it wrong, this was the first page on my google search and it fits with my understanding of the various egg temps.

I carry in my wallet a Texas state-issued class A CDL, and I have twice in my life used it to make a living. The last time I drove a truck (this was about 2 years ago) I was at a TA and decided to sit down to a breakfast. Now I know a TA truck-stop is not the place to eat if you're picky about food. But I thought I would politely ask the waitress what they consider "over-medium" before I placed my order. She didn't really have an answer and as I tried to explain that what I was after was a partially cooked yolk, it didn't take long (this was literally 90 seconds of very polite discussion) before the waitress started giving signals that she was very put-out by the prospect of a customer wanting to be served food prepared the way he likes it. What I got were 2 waaaaaaaaaay over-cooked eggs. :banghead: I have pretty much stopped ordering fried eggs at restaurants. The only "over" these two-time brain donors that work as short-order cooks understand is over-easy....and sometimes they don't even cook those fully.....ever been served over-easy that has uncooked egg white?

So I came away from that a couple of dollars richer (from not leaving a tip for that sh*ty waitress with a bad attitude) and an understanding that customer service in this country is pretty much a horse on it's last legs and is in need of a mercy bullet. Some businesses understand that without happy customers, there is no business, but for any restaurant that is corporately owned with interstate traffic, forget it.

Last edited:

Tina416

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South of Dallas
    Over-medium is the way I always cook eggs for myself, but when we were on vacation, I ordered them over-medium 3 of the days we were there. They were over-easy EVERY time!!!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't like to order eggs in restaurants because of the very reason OP has.

I like mine between over easy and over medium. I like for the whites to be white and the yolk to be just barely set. I don't like any of the white to be clear at all. Its hard to get this across to the wait staff

once I was eating with a trucker friend who was passing through and he ordered fried eggs and when the waitress ask how he wanted them he said "looking at me"
    which to him meant over easy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I used to eat eggs like that often. It's awesome to dip the bread in and have a partial egg sandwich from the solid parts.

the runny part is what you work into your crispy hash browns with a hint of garlic and pepper OR you can just mop it up with a soft flour tortilla that your eggs were served on.

gosh, I want eggs for supper tonight..

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Over easy is the best, because you have some yellow juicy to mix in with your hash browns and sausage. Yeah, my heart doctor knows. LOL!

VMax beat me to it.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Dat cause white people was cooking them.
    Basted. Over easy whites done
    Over medium whites done yokes move don't break
    over hard whites done. Yolks done not broken
    Where ya'll been eating. Dang

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I like mine over medium too and my wife nails it every time. If eating out I ask for them that way but eat whatever style they bring.

If you are like me, "a lot of food for cheap" usually doesn't bring about the highest quality cooks or meals.

Any way they cook them though, they will make a turd.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Properly cooked egg.
    Separate whites and yolks. Put yolks in hot butter til remaining white is fylly cooked. Serve with fresh bisquits.

Oh yeah, give egg whites to dog. Apologize to him.

Top Bottom