APOD Firearms

Elco 80' PT Boat Static to radio control 1/35 scale.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I've decided to complete some of the past projects I've started but never completed and this PT boat is one of those projects. This kit is sold as a static display model in 1/35 scale. Due to the large size of this kit it was an easy candidate for radio control conversion. It's going to take a lot of work to complete as this is a late war PT boat and they were the most heavily armed of the patrol boats. I have lots of structure and weaponry still to build, it's going to be fun and also a challenge.

Here's some old shots of how this project came together. This has project was started close to 10 years ago and I just never got back to it until today.

My idea for propulsion and control. I used a Robbe gear driven single screw drive system with a sealed and greased prop shaft. It takes any 380 or 540 sized car motor. A waterproof boat speed control and a big Futaba BB steering servo. Currently it has a Futaba AM receiver but that's going to be changed as AM is no longer being used for RC. I just picked up a new 2.4ghz radio for it.
    LGjpAln.jpg

Steering is via a set of brass rudders, three just like the real PT boats had.
    COlkQvN.jpg

Test of my idea for the linkage steering and it ended up working out great.
    oc0DFtJ.jpg

If I left all that space open then she'd go down like the Titanic at the slightest leak so some structure needed to be built.
    EVVpbu1.jpg

I framed the interior out in balsa and then filled it with foam.
    TwwhgWQ.jpg

It was then sealed over with light plastic sheet for watertight compartments.
    0B9dgAI.jpg

Some things don't convert over to scale size very well like the prop and rudders. While my steering and drive system isn't to scale it provides the thrust needed to move this heavy model and the large rudders provided excellent steering. I tried smaller props and rudders before but they proved inadequate.
    TRJfq6U.jpg

Rudders cut down to size.
    Jf3leA5.jpg

Everything sealed and hidden inside with OD green. Some of the interior can bee seen through the crew cabin so I'm thinking I'll scratch build some of the interior to hide the internals like the battery etc. I'm going to revise this once I install the new radio receiver.
    PBN5Nta.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Here's the actual subject I'm modeling, PT 596.
    tTgoeoO.jpg

I need to get a better camera as my cell phone just isn't cutting it. The older photos I took were taken with a Canon 35mm, I'll have to get one if I'm going to start building models again. It sucks to do all that work and then not be able to really show it due to poor photography.

Any way here's where she sits today, I need to get her dusted off so I can figure out where to start. This photo was taken with a 35mm camera, the other photos with my cell, big difference. The cell photos are far too grainy, I'll have to look at some cameras tonight.
    9AuXwbg.jpg

Click on photos for larger view.

Unpainted parts just on there for mock up. Nothing on the deck is completed.
    ROSH9nL.jpg

To give you an idea of her size, that's a full can of Coke Zero. She's got some weight to her.
    ljoOPJM.jpg

YRzRDDG.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I have a full brass detail kit for this boat. It's going to take me hours and hours to get all this built. I'm not sure how much of the detail I'll end up using in the end, I have enough building to do as it is.

These are manufacturer photos of the brass parts, not my work. Sadly almost everything is OD green on this boat so most of that detail won't stand out.
    PbsoenE.jpg

foOVGnS.jpg

KiRM6oa.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Here's what it should look like when completed. Some of the colors are wrong on this example but that's about the way it'll look.
    kCfkfYx.jpg

Today I'm going to open up the radio compartment and change the AM receiver over to a 2.4ghz system. I also have a new battery to test. Once I get that done I'll start slogging away on this thing.
    rX7kFL8.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That’s awesome. And the paint job looks great.

This makes me want to get back on my USS Iowa project.

Have an RC converted USS Texas also, but doesn’t look nearly as good as yours.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    That’s awesome. And the paint job looks great.

This makes me want to get back on my USS Iowa project.

Have an RC converted USS Texas also, but doesn’t look nearly as good as yours.

Thanks, I've seen the USS Texas kit and I'll have to pick that one up now that you mentioned it. Show us some photos of your build when you can, I'd like to see. Ships are so much work to build, I chose the PT boat as it's a little less complicated than a full size battle ship. I'd love to build a Fletcher class destroyer in the future, I've only seen two kits that would convert to RC though and they were small so it may be just a pipe dream.

I've been following the drydock restoration of the real USS Texas, I'm so glad they saved her hull. If I lived close by I'd volunteer to work on her.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    DB390D6C-27C8-4983-8BD1-CCFC07D051E8.jpeg
    Some pics of BB35. I left off the rail because I figured I’d end up destroying it. Didn’t buy a conversion kit, made the shafts and stuffing tubes by hand, and made a rudder since the one in the kit was too small to modify. Rudder is made of bras plate folded over and soldered to music wire. Propellers are the plastic ones that came with the kid.

676A106C-0F6E-4CE8-912B-C8E772F71694.jpeg

939CB66D-0AF8-4473-A950-FF049C9B8AD7.jpeg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Wow, that looks awesome! Yep, I'm going to need that kit, collecting model kits is just about as bad as gun collecting.

I had no idea the Iowa kit was that huge, storing these models will be fun, lol. I already have a problem storing my Tiger tank where the cats won't get to it. Some heavy duty shelves are going to be in order I'm thinking.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Here's PT 658, a slightly different design than the boat I'm building, they made many different variants. Only two running examples are left in the world, most were tied together and burned and the end of WWII. Interesting fact, they were made almost entirely out of mahogany.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wow, that looks awesome! Yep, I'm going to need that kit, collecting model kits is just about as bad as gun collecting.

I had no idea the Iowa kit was that huge, storing these models will be fun, lol. I already have a problem storing my Tiger tank where the cats won't get to it. Some heavy duty shelves are going to be in order I'm thinking.
    I did have a couple small issues with the BB35 kit. Primarily that the superfiring and main deck turrets near the rear superstructure. Turret 3 with the aircraft launch hits the midship superstructure with the launch rail. Turret 4 has the AA structure on top which bumps the rear superstructure. It’s possible I have the tower leaning back slightly but it really doesn’t look like it.

Otherwise it’s a pretty nice kit, with the only issue being that there are some very small parts to work with. It’s missing a few AA guns because they jumped out of the tweezers and disappeared while I was trying to glue the guards on.

The Iowa is an awesome kit. It’s 1/200 scale IIRC and big enough that I had worked out a way to operate the main gun turrets with plenty of room to spare. Plus there are brass gun and propeller kits, and a wood deck kit as well if you want to go the extra mile.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Here's PT 658, a slightly different design than the boat I'm building, they made many different variants. Only two running examples are left in the world, most were tied together and burned and the end of WWII. Interesting fact, they were made almost entirely out of mahogany.

I was surprised when I learned how heavy those boats actually were. Makes their speed that much more impressive.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    @RedArmy Is your tiger at kit RC converted? I’ve only seen a few good RC tanks and the price was…well, I doubt I’ll ever get one, lol.

But I’ve wondered about finding a larger kit and trying to rebuild it as an RC model.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    @RedArmy Is your tiger at kit RC converted? I’ve only seen a few good RC tanks and the price was…well, I doubt I’ll ever get one, lol.

But I’ve wondered about finding a larger kit and trying to rebuild it as an RC model.

It's the stupid expensive Tamiya kit which is why I only have one. I sunk another stupid amount of money into it as well with a bunch of brass and cast parts I purchased from Germany. The Germans love their tank models.

Here it is, I started a thread on it about a month ago, it's 1/16 scale. It's been sitting as a static model in the man cave for years, I built it over twenty years ago. The thing weighs well over ten pounds, check the last two vids of it running in the back yard. You can get slightly cheaper ones from the Chinese but they don't compare to the Japanese engineered Tamiya kit. The thing is a work of art, worth the money in my opinion. That said, the next one I build will be Chinese made, I'm wanting to build a Sherman Jumbo or Firefly variant.

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Here's what I'm looking at for the Sherman, still not cheap but I want a Sherman to keep the Tiger company. :cool: They have a conversion kit to make either the Firefly or the US made 76mm gun.

Top Bottom