Electric generators

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by TrailDust, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Got another question for you all as I'm pondering an upgrade to my electrical generator for emergency use. Right now I've got a Coleman 4,000 watt generator for emergency use. I keep a minimum of 10 gallons of gas with Sta-Bil on hand at all times, which with this generator pulling an 80% load is about 40 hours of run time. I've also got heavy-duty cables with multiple outlets for plugging in refrigerators, freezer, microwave, etc. Anybody have their homes rigged to wire in their generator when needed? Is that difficult to do? Be interested to know the details of the generators you guys own and use.

2. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    My last two houses were wired so I could flip a switch to generator power and plug the generator in outside. I could power all of the demand, just not simultaneously with a 5K. I also have a 6.5K. Back up to the back up. I am going to do the same with my new house. I may try some hydro and solar augmentation and see if I can't reduce my dependancy on the grid.

3. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My Home Depot stocks some transfer switches that will cover you for a very reasonable price. Here is one from their website: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's the easiest way to do it if your panel is convenient to where you will run your generator. If not, you can run your own 50A cable and have an electrician tie it all together using the transfer switch. That way you can have the receptical installed at the location you'll run the generator.

4. cconn

cconn Active Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I just had a 20kW Generac generator installed this summer. We live way out in the woods and lose power a lot. This one runs off propane, and will power the whole house for about 8 or 9 days with a 250 gallon propane tank. It is hooked into an automatic transfer switch so that when the power goes out it will automatically start and take over the load. Also have a 32kW PTO generator that runs off my tractor that we used for years, lots of power but burns a lot of diesel.

5. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I just have my little honda Eu2000 and it does a good job, but it doesn't power the AC.

6. cconn

cconn Active Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    After Rita came through we went over a week with no power, hot as hell. Between that and the fact I work overseas and am gone a lot with wife and kids at home, the automatic generator that will run everything including the AC just made sense.

7. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    If I remember correctly, Hawg, you've got a stream flowing through your new property. Any chance of setting up with a Pelton-type water wheel, or is there not enough gradient to produce much head?

Thank you for the link. I'm seriously considering getting another generator in the 12,000 watt class and keeping my 4,000 as a backup. If I do get the 12,000 watt gen I'll certainly hook it up with a transfer switch like you and Hawg suggest.

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Here you go, it comes with an automatic transfer switch. They have an 18,000 watt unit you might want to look at, too. You may find it's worth going up in generator capacity, when you consider that installation and hookup is almost as much (it doesn't cost any more to install a larger unit unless your natural gas supply line is too small).....the additional cost to get something that will run your entire home becomes less of an overall percentage cost once installation is factored in.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100628960

9. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We had a Powerline Technology program where I worked in Oklahoma. They stressed that a home generator unit must be isolated from the line as it will back feed through the transformers and smoke a lineman working on the distribution lines. Be very careful how you attach it to the home lines.

Just a thought.

Flash

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    It should be wired to include the disconnect function, otherwise you wouldn't get to use your own power........it'd just go out to everyone on the line.