Join TexasGunTalk

Electrical issue has me puzzled.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by vmax, Apr 6, 2020.

1. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I have a GFCI circuit in each bathroom, 2 separate circuits in the kitchen, and 2 in the garage that control the outlets on both porches.

vmax, Axxe55 and Davetex like this.
  2. TJjerry

TJjerry Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Magnolia, tx
    At the time your house was built the codes likely required Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI) in the bedrooms, quiet a bit different from the GFCI. This may be what you see for the bedrooms in the breaker box. Today they are becoming a requirement for almost all outlets (except refrigerators and a few other items). Take a moment if you have and read up on AFCI.
    I had issues with my laptop line filter tripping the bedroom AFCI, removed it and the issue cleared.

SQLGeek likes this.
  3. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    IAANAE :D

But I'm pretty sure this violates the NEC if I'm reading this correctly:

https://forum.nachi.org/t/20-amp-outlet-on-15-amp-circuit/24871/5

Agree with this, these are probably AFCIs.

Axxe55 likes this.
  4. DoubleDuty

DoubleDuty Active Member

Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit is fine. If it pulls more than 15 amps the breaker in the panel will trip. It is a waste of money though.

5. DoubleDuty

DoubleDuty Active Member

Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Those would be arc fault detectors.

6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well not per the NEC it seems but physically it is fine.

DoubleDuty likes this.
  7. SA_Steve

SA_Steve Active Member

Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    AFCI's for the home are just more 'code drift' to encourage you to let your electrician bring you up to code. They are useful for industrial high current motor protection, but are not enough, osha still has lots of PPE requirements for working in or around rooms full of switch gear even with AFCI protection in place.

8. SA_Steve

SA_Steve Active Member

Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I've upgraded to lots of GFCI's for garage and outdoor sockets. They can be troublesome to protect the outdoor sockets in wet weather with strong winds.

I had one trip that controlled only the hydro massage tub in the master BR.
    Could not find it, drove me crazy looking for it so I put in a dedicated one.

Well, a year later I found it behind the toilet where it got wet during floor mop activity. Not in a place where you could ever plug anything into. Never bothered to reset it.

Davetex likes this.
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 Well-Known

Dec 15, 2019
    none.......
  10. hooper

hooper New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Another thing to check is the ground at the panel (outside). Had a buddy with issues on his GFCI in the kitchen and one of the issues was a bad ground at the panel (outside). It was a brand new house and the ground was barely connected outside.