• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The reaction of the administration & governor was an unfortunate overreach.
    The campus is a free speech venue as defined by State law, and apparently the pro-Palestinian protesters didn’t violate it.
    Last I heard we do have a 1st Amendment.
    This wasn’t anything like what was going on at Columbia U. in NYC.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Sorry Armybrat. 1st doesn't apply to PRIVATE property! Nor to State property when state says NO. SCOTUS really screwed up when they said it was OK to burn/wear American flags. Be careful what you wish for.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    You were warned and you did not heed the warning and were arrested. Well Boo Hoo. Again, people without enforcement of the law there is no law.

My Texas.jpg

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    First of all, let me say I am very much aware that Hamas is a nasty terrorist organization that needs to be eradicated wherever they are.
    I am not sympathetic to the Palestinians who put them in charge and supported their October 7th massacre.
    I support the Israelis responding by killing all the Hamas they can find anywhere, and that the survivors should be prosecuted for murdering innocent Jewish men, women, children, & infants.
    I think, however, that more consideration should be made to prevent the collateral killing of civilians in Gaza, particularly children in the current military operations and to help provide humanitarian aid to the starving & injured.

As far as the UT demonstrators, were they violating the 2019 free speech law that Abbott signed?
    It does not appear so, and there was no violence perpetrated by the demonstrators according to the videos shown so far and a good source I know who was an observer on campus.
    I do not believe this protest was designed in any way to disrupt the campus and its educational mission as we have seen in other situations.
    But I would like to see some definitive proof these people were breaking the law.
    Undoubtedly there were pro-Hamas ilk in the crowd, but I haven’t seen any evidence they were openly advocating anti-Israel violence.

It is a slippery slope when overreacting against something that has not happened - as that appears what occurred on the UT campus.

Last edited:

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I never mentioned anything about citizenship or illegals.
    That is a different topic, but yeah, deport the illegals who are causing a problem by participating in these protests.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    'As far as the UT demonstrators, were they violating the 2019 free speech law that Abbott signed?
    It does not appear so, and there was no violence perpetrated by the demonstrators according to the videos shown so far and a good source I know who was an observer on campus.'
    They were asked to leave as they either had no permit or it was denied. All these 'protests' are during final weeks so don't say that education wasn't disturbed. DA there is a jerk and PD chief there is (worthless) from Dallas. It is Austin. Anyway, when my GS comes back I'll ask how it went. Appears there are several on this board that appear to promote anarchy (no real such thing, just dictatorship) without realizing it. Want to a modern anarchy? Look a Haiti news. Course it's been that way there since they kicked the French guy out.

Last edited:

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We all know DA Garza is a jerk and has violated his oath of office.
    But are you actually implying that I am unknowingly promoting anarchy ?

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    From what I understand they were violating UT Austins Campus rules. They were not peacefully protesting. The few videos I watched were very shows marches with megaphones and lots of yelling, screaming and chanting. UT Austin said they have a long standing repuatation of supporting students rights to protest but not at the expense to where it disrupts learning and everything else. Even if no one was being violent or using violent language towards people there, all that yelling and screaming over a megaphone would certainly disrupt the campus and learning all by itself. Especially when a lot of teachers were cancelling their classes in support of it. Idk. I think some people abuse right to free speech.

If they are shouting support for support of Hamas and are occupying a part of the UT Austin property in the name of Hamas isn't that the same as supporting a terrorist organization? Or even in the name of Palestine, and under the flag of Palestine isn't that considered a no-go on sovereign US soil?

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    From what I understand they were violating UT Austins Campus rules. They were not peacefully protesting. The few videos I watched were very shows marches with megaphones and lots of yelling, screaming and chanting. UT Austin said they have a long standing repuatation of supporting students rights to protest but not at the expense to where it disrupts learning and everything else. Even if no one was being violent or using violent language towards people there, all that yelling and screaming over a megaphone would certainly disrupt the campus and learning all by itself. Especially when a lot of teachers were cancelling their classes in support of it. Idk. I think some people abuse right to free speech.

If they are shouting support for support of Hamas and are occupying a part of the UT Austin property in the name of Hamas isn't that the same as supporting a terrorist organization? Or even in the name of Palestine, and under the flag of Palestine isn't that considered a no-go on sovereign US soil?
    Yelling, chanting, and megaphone are peaceful unless you're a pansy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    The problem is the Soros funded professional agitators. These are the very same agitators that stirred the pot during the BLM and Antifa riots and they are organizing these protests. I saw a clip of some of the students being interviewed and they did not even understand what they were protesting.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The reaction of the administration & governor was an unfortunate overreach.
    The campus is a free speech venue as defined by State law, and apparently the pro-Palestinian protesters didn’t violate it.
    Last I heard we do have a 1st Amendment.
    This wasn’t anything like what was going on at Columbia U. in NYC.
    Free speech is fine if staged within the rules and regulations of the institution. Disruption of classes for as little as noise can be grounds for removal. If you don't leave when requested, then arrest for trespassing can be enforced. Since UT is a public research institute it is within the state's control.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Were it is an organic local protest I'd err on the side of letting them protest a bit more. Protests that are part of profesional coordinated, and planned agitation, I gotta side with erring toward curtailment prior to asymptomatic insanity.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Yelling, chanting, and megaphone are peaceful unless you're a pansy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I didn’t mean peaceful as in the opposite of violent I meant non peaceful in a way that would disrupt other student's or interrupt their learning which would be breaking the rules of UT Austin.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom