• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    That having been said LE still needs PC to search your car.

Or he can claim he believes he is in some sort of danger so he can perform a Terry search. The SC has nearly given carte blanche for LEs to do this as long as they claim they feel endangered (whether it is true or not). Best bet is to lock your car door behind you when exiting the vehicle, thus requiring the LE to get a warrant.

To address the immediate topic, I understand it is good to have protection in writing from being canned for having a gun, but realistically, here are my two gripes:

1.) UPS had a gun ban on company property which I frequently violated. I never told my managers I had a gun in my car and that seemed to be the end of it. If they asked to search my car I would have told them to get a warrant. If they then responded they can't because they aren't Police, I would have asked them to get a cop, then told him to get a warrant. If they fired me for that I would have just got another job. Really, don't run your mouth about the nice piece you have in your car and the odds of this being an issue are very nearly zero.

2.) Texas is an "At-will" state, and suing your employer for wrongfully firing you is probably going to be more trouble than it's worth. I doubt this law will change much of anything, though I do appreciate its "Spirit."

With the recent shooting in AZ I don't hold out much hope for any pro-gun legislation this session, unfortunately.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Or he can claim he believes he is in some sort of danger so he can perform a Terry search. The SC has nearly given carte blanche for LEs to do this as long as they claim they feel endangered (whether it is true or not). Best bet is to lock your car door behind you when exiting the vehicle, thus requiring the LE to get a warrant.

If youre saying that the cops lie to get in your car, then it doesnt matter what the law says, a cop who will lie will break it. As far as locking your door behind you? If PC is there the door being locked doesn't negate that fact, and doing so in most cases would arouse even more suspicion.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I don't think London meant to "dis" the Police. Probable Cause only needs to satisfy a judge, it need not make sense to the victim of a fishing expedition.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Vehicles aren't unlawfully searched now. They could pass a bill that says you can put an address on your car door an call it a house and you would STILL have to submit to a vehicle search by companies that wish to search your car to go on their property. There is absolutely nothing unlawful or unconstitutional about that. Your position contradicts itself. You want propety owner rights, but you dont want those same property owners to have the right to search vehicles that go on their property. Which way do you want it?
    The solution is to pass a bill like the one at hand. One that says you can carry in your car even when it is in an employee parking lot. Your vehicle isnt your house....and shouldnt be treated as such.

I dont care if vehicles are searched or not. Hell, I have actually opened my damn truck door several time and said" get in there and look".. One reason is I dont like some Cop asking me the same damn thing over and over again. I damn sure dont like some prick asking me if I have drugs in the vehicle over and over again. Get in there and look! I could care less. This crap isnt even a subject for me but you seem to assume I have some kind of position to prevent LE from searching vehicles if they think there is a good reason for it. Got new for ya, I have actually been visiting with Cops and Deputies for the last two week to see what they think needs to be done to allow people to have a firearm in their vehicle anywhere they have a right to be. At the same time, were trying to decide this so LE can still do what they need to do to catch people who need to be cought. It aint easy, and this bill doesnt do it..
    This Bill tells property owner what they have to allow on their property, but we already have laws in effect that tell property owners you cant give permission to someone to carry handguns on your property.
    Can you not see the insult behind this bill? You should also know I dont like this bill even though it would help me with issues of having guns in my trucks while on customers property. I simply dont like a Law that " Dictates " what a property owner can and cant allow on his or her own property.
    There is a better solution to this issue other than this bill, wished I had it, but I dont.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well, I don't like my employer telling me that I can't possess a gun in my vehicle in a parking lot that is outside the controlled fence. I can't drive from work to a hunting lease because I could get fired. Inside the plant fence - where all access is controlled - that's fine. But let the open parking area be subject to the same rules as the rest of the state!

Not only that, Mr. Redneck, but plants I've worked at where this anti-gun rule has resulted in someone getting fired, it was a VERY selective process for searching vehicles. "Human Resources" (the spawn of Satan) can use the rule to selectively get rid of people who might be nearing their retirement vesting date or that they just don't like.

This isn't a law to take away individual rights; it's a law designed to insure that individual rights can't be infringed by corporate rules.

Sorry, but employment is mutually voluntary. You've agreed to their terms (and they've agreed to yours). There is no infringement.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If youre saying that the cops lie to get in your car, then it doesnt matter what the law says, a cop who will lie will break it. As far as locking your door behind you? If PC is there the door being locked doesn't negate that fact, and doing so in most cases would arouse even more suspicion.

Very true! If the cop has PC you are probably getting a free ride downtown no matter what.

Locking the door is a possible good move for contacts or RS encounters just to keep Mr. Police Officer out of your private property. Really, I don't expect anyone on this board to participate in any major crime. Keeping the cop from wasting his time with a fruitless search gives him more time to deal with real bad guys. Its also good for citizens to exercise their rights, if just for the sake of exercising them. Explaining this is usually sufficient to calm the suspicions of any good honest cop. In my experience they have an excellent nose for BS and will usually lighten up once they know you are a law and order type- considering they aren't rogue cops.

Fortunately most criminals don't know their rights anyway so this isn't much of an issue for Police trying to crack down on them.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I dont care if vehicles are searched or not. Hell, I have actually opened my damn truck door several time and said" get in there and look".

I don't advise this as I know of a few very upstanding people who the Police "Found" with evidence which was not actually there until the police entered the vehicle. I DO NOT mean to denigrate all police with that statement. It is the 1%ers on the force which help destroy the reputations of the remaining 99%. My advice is to only trust the police you know personally and NEVER waive your rights.

Unfortunately we live in times in which everyone, including the police, must be met with suspicion until they prove themselves trustworthy. Please don't risk going to the house of many bars because you got too comfortable.

P.S. I'm sure TxCop2 knows by now I have nothing but the highest respect for honest cops! No drama to see here.

Top Bottom