• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I've come up with the idea to protest with empty holsters at the capitol on the first day of this session, Jan. 13th. Please, no long guns. Too much chance of a mishap with all the handling of such weapons. We can have tee shirts or signs or anything such as this. We can start on the front steps around 7:00-7:30 AM. We do not want to harass or impede traffic in or out of the capitol.

Find out which legislators support and don't support this. We can let everyone know who wants everyone to be defenseless victims. Feed back, please.
    Military Camp

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'd definitely be down for this. That early in the morning would probably work for me too since I don't work until quite a bit later in the day.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I will come up to Austin.Do we need a permit?In my town if more than five people are protesting they need a permit to gather in a group.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I would not seek a permit even if men with guns made the assertion that I needed to.

If fact, I will NOT show up if the person(s) in charge of this even seek any kind of permit. Seeking a permit to exercise constitutional rights to protest to reclaim constitutional rights is so bizarre it's beyond comprehension.....

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    +1 that we should not need any permits.Just curious.I will contact my representative.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Open carry isn't a big deal to me so forgive me if I'm behind the times.

Is there legislation ready or has there been legislation drafted, considered or even presented that will eliminate what makes open carry of a hand gun a violation of Texas State law?

Are there legislators that have struck down or in any way tried to stop the progression?

By "protesting", what are you expecting to accomplish or what action do you see taking place?

I guess you could sum it up by asking, what are you protesting against and trying to change?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would not seek a permit even if men with guns made the assertion that I needed to.

If fact, I will NOT show up if the person(s) in charge of this even seek any kind of permit. Seeking a permit to exercise constitutional rights to protest to reclaim constitutional rights is so bizarre it's beyond comprehension.....

The permitting is to ensure you are following code. The entire functionality of the code is to ensure the event is safe (50+ people in Austin, btw), and does not inhibit those around you (ie. blocking entrance to the Capitol) and infringing upon their rights.

I'm sure you don't care for any sort of Governmental control, but unfortunately you don't control the Government.

The only way anyone is going to get open carry in the State of Texas is through the legal means. That includes following laws that you may not agree with.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/pace/downloads/checklist_0608.pdf

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Legislation has been drafted. It is still being tweaked a little here and there. What we plan to acomplish is to bring to the attention of the legislators that we are united in this effort. For more info go to

www.opencarry.org

I checked the link in the above post and it looks like no permit is needed, especially since we will NOT be on city property, but state property. Doubt if I would apply for one if it were needed.

We need to make sure that no long guns are present and please don't even conceal carry. It will make things go a lot smoother if LE gets involved. They will be everywhere at the Capitol. If you don't conceal carry, then you won't have to bring I.D. of any kind. Get the picture?

LadyM1871

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've come up with the idea to protest with empty holsters at the capitol on the first day of this session, Jan. 13th. Please, no long guns. Too much chance of a mishap with all the handling of such weapons. We can have tee shirts or signs or anything such as this. We can start on the front steps around 7:00-7:30 AM. We do not want to harass or impede traffic in or out of the capitol.

Find out which legislators support and don't support this. We can let everyone know who wants everyone to be defenseless victims. Feed back, please.
    I can make it but I will have to take a day off from work so I will need to know if this is set in stone or not. Please keep me informed.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I just now got off the phone with Mike Guzman of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. He says that it looks like their legislation is going to pass nd wants to tell everyone to please let anyone know in your communications with legislators or press or anyone that we are NOT part of his organization. He is afraid that people will get confused and raise a ruckus thereby torpedoing his legislation. Everyone please, when we get to the Capitol make sure you are well marked that you are with OCDO, Txcdl.org or whoever. Let's not take a chance on shooting him down to further our cause. We can do this guys.:patriot:

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Doubt if I would apply for one if it were needed.

We need to make sure that no long guns are present and please don't even conceal carry. It will make things go a lot smoother if LE gets involved. They will be everywhere at the Capitol. If you don't conceal carry, then you won't have to bring I.D. of any kind. Get the picture?

He is afraid that people will get confused and raise a ruckus thereby torpedoing his legislation. Everyone please, when we get to the Capitol make sure you are well marked that you are with OCDO, Txcdl.org or whoever. Let's not take a chance on shooting him down to further our cause. We can do this guys.:patriot:

So a protest is the best way to do this huh? Or maybe the question should be, protesting like this is the best way to do this huh?

Have other means of supporting and bring attention to this effort already been tried and failed?

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I did say protest. Maybe my choice of words came with a little haste. I think demonstration would have been a better choice. We are doing everything possible. We have a billboard just north of SA and taxi ads in Austin. We are talking to legislators and people wanting to be legislators. We are trying to educate people. The purpose behind this is to show the legislators that we are committed and in solidarity on the issue. I think it is possible to get this through this session, but we must be careful not to push the wrong buttons.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I did say protest. Maybe my choice of words came with a little haste. I think demonstration would have been a better choice. We are doing everything possible. We have a billboard just north of SA and taxi ads in Austin. We are talking to legislators and people wanting to be legislators. We are trying to educate people. The purpose behind this is to show the legislators that we are committed and in solidarity on the issue. I think it is possible to get this through this session, but we must be careful not to push the wrong buttons.

:patriot: That sounds better. ;)

It ws just sounding a little rebellious, eluding to taking precautions to not be able to ID yourself, preparing for LE confrontations, another group scared they'd be linked to it, expressing an intention not to comply with city code etc. etc.

Now I need to finish figuring out what OWB I want to order and get it ordered just in case.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    One more thing that Mike Guzman wanted to ask us to do that I forgot to include in the above post.

He asked us that if anyone asks, that we want CC only on campus. Open carry everywhere but college campuses. I know, but it was a favor he asked and I said I would mention it. I think it is important to his legislation about CC on campus so please does as he asks.

Top Bottom