• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    What society calls paranoia is really a defensive mechanism that humans have but is suppressed by societal conditioning. This naive mentality is exactly what gets most people raped, killed, or brutalized in conjunction with burglary.

And thank you for this response. Made me feel a little better.
    Lynx Defense

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    To my great regret, the days of "Leave it to beaver," and "Father knows best," with the peaceful, quiet neighborhoods, are a thing of the past. These days even the nicest neighborhoods are subject to home invasion. We have to face facts. If we're lucky, it won't happen. But we just don't know. I suspect things will be getting worse, a lot worse, before they get better. Stay armed, and ready.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This will prevent false positives....

blognosolicitors.jpg

I answer with a knife. It's quieter that way.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I've done that a few times, taken a long gun with me and kept it nearby. But then I thought about it and decided it wasn't the best plan. If you open the door and someone decides they want to force it, you're going to be wrestling with them as you try bringing that shotgun to bear.

That's why I bring a Sig instead of my AR or 870. When you're nose to nose with someone, it's a lot harder to bring a long gun to bear. If they're farther away, I can always use the pistol to keep that distance and make a dash for a "real gun". But odds are I won't need any more than the pistol in the first place.

I answer with a pistol in hand AND a 12 gauge near the door. The 12 gauge is if I need something beefier than a .45.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Since im not 21, and dont carry, I dont have a handgun on me. I only retrieve the XDM if someone looks like trouble and/or they come to the door at a strange hour. All the other times, I have my hand on my Benchmade Griptillian, ready to rock n roll.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    See this is the common MO. If you would have answered, they would have been selling magazines or some BS and been on their way to someone else'e house.

This is why I tell my wife to always answer the door so they know someone is home. Also don't open the door, talk through it. And always start by saying something like "Its ok honey, I got it." loudly. Combine all of that with the barking dogs, and she is probably never going to have the guys strolling into the back yard.

I am slowly working towards having her answer it with a loaded gun, but we are not there yet.

Yep. That's why I answer. I want to present a "hard face" to them; show that I'm alert and the half-opened door should show that I'm wary. Between me and my dog barking at them (she sounds bigger than she is), the plan is that they'll leave and not come back. But I've still got a pistol with me just in case.

Always good to have a plan B.

I answer with a pistol in hand AND a 12 gauge near the door. The 12 gauge is if I need something beefier than a .45.

I like my P226 in 9mm. They can bring their friends and family to the party... 20 round pistol magazines are awesome.

I discovered the 20 round MecGar/Sig mags actually hold 21, load on a closed slide and will work 100% reliably. So really, my pistol has 22 rounds in it. Rock and roll! :D

Since im not 21, and dont carry, I dont have a handgun on me. I only retrieve the XDM if someone looks like trouble and/or they come to the door at a strange hour. All the other times, I have my hand on my Benchmade Griptillian, ready to rock n roll.

I don't usually wear a gun around the house. I can't wear one at work because I'd bang customer's cars up with it. I just keep one or five handy for times when they might be needed. If someone rings the doorbell right now, I'm going to snatch up a Sig and see what they want.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    What society calls paranoia is really a defensive mechanism that humans have but is suppressed by societal conditioning. This naive mentality is exactly what gets most people raped, killed, or brutalized in conjunction with burglary.
    Strange how foreign a concept that is to some people.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Answering the door, 1911 in my right hand, hidden behind my leg, chamber loaded and safety off . . . although I have been know to do it with a Browning High Power with a 20-round mag. I don't favor a 9mm but I inherited it from my Dad, along with his 1911A1.

Project325

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    San Antonio
    Well, it sounds like I wasn't over reacting... just over thinking. Thanks for all the feedback. Just to clarify, I did say "draw" in my original post, but the pistol was loaded and cocked, in hand, at my side (out of view of the "newspaper guy")

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    You guys are pansies!!! I just unload a clip or two into the door if someone knocks or rings the bell... I don't get too many repeat visitors for some reason...???

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't answer the door unless I know someone is on their way over. There's this thing called phones... Give me a ring if you want to come over. That just seems like the polite thing to do to me. Why the hell would anyone just "drop in"?

Selling subscriptions sounds suspicious to me. They probably were casing the place. A gun of some sort is always nearby anywhere I am in the house in case someone does something dumb.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

thats fine and dandy... but jsut to be clear to other readers, im nearly positive that you dont need to be 21 to carry at home. concealed or otherwise.

and with my quadruple post im moving on to another thread. lol.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    thats fine and dandy... but jsut to be clear to other readers, im nearly positive that you dont need to be 21 to carry at home. concealed or otherwise.

true, but im in and out of the house often, and i dont want to have to fool with putting the gun up, and getting it out again over and over. also, I dont live along the border, or houston. i live in Midland, so its (mostly) all good.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    true, but im in and out of the house often, and i dont want to have to fool with putting the gun up, and getting it out again over and over. also, I dont live along the border, or houston. i live in Midland, so its (mostly) all good.

Bad things happen in good neighborhoods. Burglary is actually more common in rural areas than in the city...

Top Bottom