• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I recently discovered a newly opened station that sells non-ethanol fuel close by. I filled my '03 Expedition with it and it seems to get slightly better gas mileage. Not really enough to make up for the extra 60¢ per gallon over regular ethanol. I will be using the non-ethanol in my lawn and yard equipment from now on for sure.

Question is, should I continue using non-ethanol in my vehicle? I mean, what advantage would that be over the ethanol fuel? Is it better overall for the engine, injectors, fuel pump, etc.? I don't drive the vehicle that much. It may go two months or more between refueling, so I am not really concerned about paying extra for the gas.
    Capitol Armory ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Well it won't turn to varnish as quickly. If I drove as often as you I would probably be using it. I use it for all my small engines though as some of them will sit for months and if no stabilizer is used ethanol fuel will gum up the jets pretty quick.

I can't imagine that can be good for tanks either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ethanol doesn’t store as well and has less energy density than gasoline which is why your fuel mileage improved.

.60/gallon is a heck of a price difference though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Subscribed! I've always "heard" ethanol is better (cleaner) for the engine, but I've not seen any substantiation for those statements. I'm interested in learning more about it also. I know of a couple of stations in Kerrville that sell non-ethanol. Tray is correct about ethanol screwing up smaller engines such as weed eaters, lawn mowers, chain saws, etc.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    For my 2-cycle engines I use the premix engineered fuels. That is what we used for our chainsaws and K-12’s in the fire service.

If I had a good local source for non-ethanol fuel I would use it in my 0-turn mower and generators as well as the Harley.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    MOST of the newer Murphy's now carry non-ethanol gasoline. Look for the BLUE pump/dispenser. Around here, it's averaging 30-50 cents/gal more. It's ALL I use for my small engines, as well as for my '58 Chevy, since it doesn't get driven as much, either. It IS better on ANY vehicle - but as noted, the premium cost doesn't really add up for a daily driver.
    I can really tell the difference in my gas can, though - I don't get that "stale gas" smell a month or two after having filled it. I still use Stabil in the can, though, just to copper my bets.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Not sure about an '03, but many engines today are designed to run on certain amounts of ethanol. Older cars and Harleys (although it's difficult to find premium without ethanol) will run a lot better. Ethanol burns hotter.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I tried removing EtOH from gasoline for my mowers for awhile (by adding water & syphoning off the top layer of mix) but it's just TOOOO much trouble. I'm on my way to Murphy's.

servis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Denton County
    Most modern engines in vehicles today are built to run on ethanol laced fuels. Older vehicles not so much. Ethanol fuel deteriorated the fuel line on our 2000 model boat. Caused problems with fuel pump and carbs.
    Can't say what the cut-off date may be.
    Same here on small engines. Non ethanol in mowers and chain saws.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Most modern engines in vehicles today are built to run on ethanol laced fuels. Older vehicles not so much. Ethanol fuel deteriorated the fuel line on our 2000 model boat. Caused problems with fuel pump and carbs.
    Can't say what the cut-off date may be.
    Same here on small engines. Non ethanol in mowers and chain saws.
    I know my old '95 Sonoma manual said that ethanol up to E10 was okay. Wondering if most modern vehicles are actually designed to run on E10 or if they just can tolerate it. Seems like it was around 2008 when I first notice E10 at all the stations. The mileage on the Sonoma with the Vortec 4.3 did drop about one mpg on it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Ive noticed Amazon has been charging tax for a few months now.

Only reason I mentioned it was because I had stated in the "good deal" thread that I had never been charged tax by Amazon.
    I had even placed an order 2 days ago, and was not charged tax.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Some Murphy's as well as most QT stations carry non-ethanol gas FYI.

Daily driver? No.

Longer term storage or infrequent use engines? Absolutely.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For my 2-cycle engines I use the premix engineered fuels. That is what we used for our chainsaws and K-12’s in the fire service.

If I had a good local source for non-ethanol fuel I would use it in my 0-turn mower and generators as well as the Harley.
    I hope you have a better source for the pre-mixed fuel than your average box store if you are using much. Stuff is like $20 a gallon there.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I know my old '95 Sonoma manual said that ethanol up to E10 was okay. Wondering if most modern vehicles are actually designed to run on E10 or if they just can tolerate it. Seems like it was around 2008 when I first notice E10 at all the stations. The mileage on the Sonoma with the Vortec 4.3 did drop about one mpg on it.
    Somewhere around 2010 most vehicle manufacturers changed the fuel system components to tolerate / run E-85. The ethanol dries out rubber and causes premature failure of rubber Components. As stated before there’s less energy in ethanol than gasoline. I tried E-85 a couple times in previous vehicles and decided it wasn’t for me. The last time I tried it, E-85 was $0.30/gallon more expensive, and I got 5 mpg less than gasoline.

Having said all that, as little as you drive that vehicle, I would definitely be running ethanol free gas in it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just remember Harley riders, most the non ethanol is regular gasoline, so you had better also use an octane booster. Although there had used to be non ethanol gasoline station in Midland while I was living there, although it cost more I did use it, it closed years ago. Murphy's here only has regular non ethanol, and twin cylinders actually like the higher octane fuels.

Top Bottom